The Student Room Group

Nose and annoying/embaressing whistling noise..

Lately, say the past few months, i've noticed that when i breathe though my nose, i always seem to get that whistling noise. It's not really happened much before except on the odd occasion, and i tend to just blow my nose or something (sorry if this unpleasant) and it usually goes away.

But it's not going away now, no matter what i do, and i was wondering why the hell it isn't and if anyone had any tips for this?

Also, it's bothering me alot now because i feel very embarrassed when i'm with my new boyfriend, it's all quiet and we're getting close and all i can hear is this damn whistling! So i end up trying to breathe really slowly or a bit through my mouth instead and completely lose of the mood of what we're actually doing =/

So another question in addition to the above, guys would this really put you off someone?

T'is a silly little thing i know, but it's annoying the hell out of me.
Reply 1
Anyone..? (*bump*)
It probably wouldn't put me off - remember that noises in your head sound louder to you than other people. Did you break your nose or something at some point?
It could be nasal polyps - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_polyps

I'm sure my mum has them. Her whistling drives me crazy when I'm trying to watch TV and she's sat next to me! lol.

You should probably go to the doctor's though, if it's bothering you that much :-)
To be honest even if she was a a beauty, and we got along like a house on fire, whistly nose is a no go.

My Dad always used to say: A whilstley nose, you just don't goes

I know it doesn't make much sense but it's always stuck with me.
WhatawickedDJ
To be honest even if she was a a beauty, and we got along like a house on fire, whistly nose is a no go.

My Dad always used to say: A whilstley nose, you just don't goes

I know it doesn't make much sense but it's always stuck with me.

That's much more specific advice than my dad ever gave me!
Reply 6
Nonsmoking
It probably wouldn't put me off - remember that noises in your head sound louder to you than other people. Did you break your nose or something at some point?

Truth. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I've had my nose banged out of shape more times then I care to remember (Rugby) and I get it sometimes. No one else seems to notice it though, your probably just very concious of it.
From someone who has numerously had their nose banged out of shape to someone who has had this happen only once and recently, would you say it's possible to kind of push/bend/crack it back into place? It feels like I might be able to but I don't want to make it worse.
Reply 8
How long ago did you do it?

I've always had team mates push it back after a game, admittedly its not perfect and is slightly on the wonk (barely noticeable).

From what I believe, it starts to heal very quickly so unless you do it fairely soon after no, you can't.

Surgery would be the other option.
Reply 9
I've never broken my nose or anything like that, and i doubt i have the nasal polyps that someone mentioned but i guess if it gets worse maybe i'll go to the doctor.. though i'll feel a bit stupid.. "doctor, can you stop my nose whistling please?"

Just get quite self-conscious, especially when kissing, being so close to him then i hear this light whistling everytime i breathe!

And i probably do notice it more, however i can hear it when other peoples noses whistle so im pretty sure he'd hear it being right up against my nose!

Latest

Trending

Trending