The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Offers from Queens University Belfast!

Scroll to see replies

Chupito
Lol i live just outside dunmurry. dont reckon we'd know each other unless maybe you go to the parlour/union frequently....then we might. lol i drive aswell so i suppose i could just stay here for first year then maybe move out second year. :smile:

Is queens your first choice??

Nahhh we wouldn't know each other then! Pheww ha. Queen's probably will be my first choice, my Durham offer is tempting me but I know I'll miss home too much! So queens it is :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
-CG-
Hey guys,
Got 3 offers for Queens yesterday! French/Drama, Drama/English and Drama.
Over the moon so far! :biggrin:
I'm from Kilkeel, near Newcastle...anybody commuting to Uni? (if we get in lol)

Well done! :smile: I'll be commuting most likely, but from the completely opposite direction to you! Are you going to?
-CG-
Hey guys,
Got 3 offers for Queens yesterday! French/Drama, Drama/English and Drama.
Over the moon so far! :biggrin:
I'm from Kilkeel, near Newcastle...anybody commuting to Uni? (if we get in lol)

Well done, I'll might know you by the end of this year :p:

Any questions about the Drama course, just ask :smile:
Reply 23
GetTheeToANunnery
Well done, I'll might know you by the end of this year :p:

Any questions about the Drama course, just ask :smile:

Hey! Erm..Any info is good..I know nothing. I missed all the workshops on the open day :frown: Got talking to a third year girl who was lovely and extremely positive.
Lecturers good? Is it scary? :P
Reply 24
cantstop-x
Nahhh we wouldn't know each other then! Pheww ha. Queen's probably will be my first choice, my Durham offer is tempting me but I know I'll miss home too much! So queens it is :smile:

I've been to both unis (did an MMath at Durham and doing an MSc at Queens now) and my advice would be... go to Durham! Seriously, the terms are only 8/9 weeks and generally a decent number of people tend to pop home for a weekend once a term anyway. The collegiate experience is just unparalleled. What college is your offer from out of interest?

p.s. I'm also having a great time at QUB this year - but I'd still choose Durham for undergrad again in a heartbeat.
Christo
I've been to both unis (did an MMath at Durham and doing an MSc at Queens now) and my advice would be... go to Durham! Seriously, the terms are only 8/9 weeks and generally a decent number of people tend to pop home for a weekend once a term anyway. The collegiate experience is just unparalleled. What college is your offer from out of interest?

p.s. I'm also having a great time at QUB this year - but I'd still choose Durham for undergrad again in a heartbeat.

St Cuthbert's offered me the place, what was your college? I had no idea about the college system, so I just left it open in my application - I think St Cuth's is the biggest though, right?
I got a good offer for computer science.
Reply 27
Hey everyone..thinking about coming to queens but i cant make up my mind!! Got an offer for film studies! Any good at queens??
-CG-
Hey! Erm..Any info is good..I know nothing. I missed all the workshops on the open day :frown: Got talking to a third year girl who was lovely and extremely positive.
Lecturers good? Is it scary? :P

It is TERRIFYING! :wink:

Naw, it's grand. I suppose the best way is to tell you what I've done so far.

Basically you do six modules in your first year, three in Semester One, three in Semester Two. If you're doing Single Hons Drama then four of these will be Drama, and you pick the other two from a different course (I chose English, though you can do Film, Anthropology, even Ethnomusicology etc.). The modules were as follows:

Semester One
DRA1001 - Performance Analysis
DRA1004 - Introduction to Practical Theatre 2
DRA1003 - (half of it) Introduction to Practical Theatre 1
and your extra module

Semester Two
DRA1002 - Drama 2
DRA1003 - (the rest of) Introduction to Practical Theatre 1
your other extra module

DRA1001 Theoretical. Looks at ways of analysing performance and brings in ideas on gender, race, feminism etc. It's not too tough but was my least favourite module.
DRA1002 We haven't started this yet, but apparently it looks at theatre history, so I'm quite looking forward to it.
DRA1003 This module runs along the whole year. In Semester One you look at practitioners such as Stanislavski, Meyerhold, Brecht etc. In Semester Two you split into about 8 groups, each headed by a student interested in directing, and produce a 10 minute scene. All scenes are performed in May in the 'Rough Cuts' showcase. Ones this year include 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' (mine :p:), '4.48 Psychosis', 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and 'The Crucible'.
DRA1004 looks at Greek tragedy. We took 'Medea' by Euripides. A guest director comes in, workshops the text with you as you look at the essential themes, decontruct it and then perform your new version in December.

The lecturers are very good, especially Paul Murphy and Kurt Taroff, and the course is far more sociable than practically all others. The Drama Society has been neglected by previous generations but this year there is a definite push to revive it. At the minute we're producing three plays (including 'The History Boys', which I'm directing :woo: ), and we're taking them down to the Irish Student Drama festival in Dublin this March.

So yeah, after that ramble, any questions? haha
cantstop-x
St Cuthbert's offered me the place, what was your college? I had no idea about the college system, so I just left it open in my application - I think St Cuth's is the biggest though, right?

I agree with Christo. I'm from Durham, and you really should go.

Beautiful city in a fantastic region. You have the academic reputation, prowess and sheer beauty of Durham, whilst being a short train ride away from the shopping and simply amazing nightlife of Sunderland and Newcastle.

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!
Reply 30
GetTheeToANunnery
It is TERRIFYING! :wink:

Naw, it's grand. I suppose the best way is to tell you what I've done so far.

Basically you do six modules in your first year, three in Semester One, three in Semester Two. If you're doing Single Hons Drama then four of these will be Drama, and you pick the other two from a different course (I chose English, though you can do Film, Anthropology, even Ethnomusicology etc.). The modules were as follows:

Semester One
DRA1001 - Performance Analysis
DRA1004 - Introduction to Practical Theatre 2
DRA1003 - (half of it) Introduction to Practical Theatre 1
and your extra module

Semester Two
DRA1002 - Drama 2
DRA1003 - (the rest of) Introduction to Practical Theatre 1
your other extra module

DRA1001 Theoretical. Looks at ways of analysing performance and brings in ideas on gender, race, feminism etc. It's not too tough but was my least favourite module.
DRA1002 We haven't started this yet, but apparently it looks at theatre history, so I'm quite looking forward to it.
DRA1003 This module runs along the whole year. In Semester One you look at practitioners such as Stanislavski, Meyerhold, Brecht etc. In Semester Two you split into about 8 groups, each headed by a student interested in directing, and produce a 10 minute scene. All scenes are performed in May in the 'Rough Cuts' showcase. Ones this year include 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' (mine :p:), '4.48 Psychosis', 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and 'The Crucible'.
DRA1004 looks at Greek tragedy. We took 'Medea' by Euripides. A guest director comes in, workshops the text with you as you look at the essential themes, decontruct it and then perform your new version in December.

The lecturers are very good, especially Paul Murphy and Kurt Taroff, and the course is far more sociable than practically all others. The Drama Society has been neglected by previous generations but this year there is a definite push to revive it. At the minute we're producing three plays (including 'The History Boys', which I'm directing :woo: ), and we're taking them down to the Irish Student Drama festival in Dublin this March.

So yeah, after that ramble, any questions? haha

Waow!
Sounds amazing..I'm really excited now.
I've always wanted to know more about the theoretical side to performance..we did a bit on Augusta Boal but it was very superficial.

Its brilliant that the Drama Society has been revived, and well done on being a director!!

I'm hoping to do Drama as a joint degree with English or French. How does that affect what modules you do?

I've so much i wanna know but i can't think!! lol
-CG-
Waow!
Sounds amazing..I'm really excited now.
I've always wanted to know more about the theoretical side to performance..we did a bit on Augusta Boal but it was very superficial.

Its brilliant that the Drama Society has been revived, and well done on being a director!!

I'm hoping to do Drama as a joint degree with English or French. How does that affect what modules you do?

I've so much i wanna know but i can't think!! lol

We touched on Boal in DRA1003, I enjoyed him.

Doing a joint means that you won't have to pick random additional modules - you'll have 3 Drama and 3 English/French. The effect this has is that you wouldn't do DRA1004. Anything else?
Reply 32
hey guys... just got 2 rejections from queens... i don't do chemistry and in the choices for both courses it said preferably chemistry.

But i just realised ALL my choices say that... does this mean im probably gonna get rejected from them all D:

im not feeling that happy right now :/

although i guess the 2 courses i chose were microbiology and genetics, which rely more heavily on chemistry... the others i have chosen are marine biology, biological sciences and enviornmental biology... ******* sucks cause really like im predicted an A* in biology and its what i wanna do, and if i had known that i needed chemistry to do it i would have done that for A level too

does anyone have any idea what i should do now? will i probably have to settle for a different course through extra or try and get my chemistry A level before getting into any of these courses...?

thanks for all your help people really..

MalusDB
Reply 33
cantstop-x

I think you should listen to the people telling you to go to Durham. =p
Reply 34
right so guys OP here and i finally got the offers i needed :biggrin:

conditionals for biological sciences, marine biology and environmental biology :smile:
Reply 35
MalusDB
right so guys OP here and i finally got the offers i needed :biggrin:

conditionals for biological sciences, marine biology and environmental biology :smile:

Congrats!! :biggrin: Now you can relax! I've just firmed queens so i'll see you there :smile:
Reply 36
human biology offer BBB
Reply 37
MalusDB
Hey, just wondering if anybody who happened to apply for queens has recieved any offers yet (not including Dentistry/Medicine etc. since they were earlier apps.)...

Seems like nobody in my whole school has had any replies from them, but I want to know if its just our area maybe, and if they are actually beginning to reply... I was told they start replying kinda late, but I'm curious so if anybody has any good info for me, +REP.

thanks

MalusDB

:yes:

uck i
i got mine a good while ago now
Reply 38
Chupito
Congrats!! :biggrin: Now you can relax! I've just firmed queens so i'll see you there :smile:

yup! And whats more the rejections i had recieved were cause of lack of information being passed on. Queens weren't aware of my AS chemistry that im studying this year, so they changed them to conditionals when i rang them up to ask why :P

just goes to show that its worth enquiring about things. Don't ask questions in this world you get nowhere :smile:

but it seems liek I'l be getting to go to queens after all so yeah, I'l see you there :P.
Applied for Pharmacy in mid november but still haven't heard back, anyone in the same boat ?? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending