The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Block: Arthur Vick 2

Summary: Really nice, I'm glad I chose here in the end! Lovely rooms/kitchens/living rooms. It's quite expensive though. If you're stuck choosing between JM and AV then I would say that on average JM is more social. (but you could always be lucky in AV or unlucky in JM so nothing's guaranteed). AV is nicer though if thats what you're looking for.

Pros:
Fairly close to the SU
Rooms are big and really nice!
Ensuite
Kitchen is big and we have living rooms attached to our kitchens (where we hang out the most!)
Launderette on bottom floor
Not too noisy (our kitchen is an exception :tongue:)

Cons:
Quite expensive
Annoying having to move your stuff out at the end of term
Social life can be bad (Although some are social)
Cleaners dont like the kitchens being messy :tongue:
(Very) strict warden

I'll add more when I think of them. Hope this helps :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1881
miml
I reckon I've decided JM or AV as my first choice. Most likely go with JM, there doesn't seem to be that much difference and it is cheaper.

Rootes as my second choice. More because I couldn't decide out of the others and Rootes seems like the most sociable. If I am not getting the one I want (JM/AV) I may as well have a good time right.

Cryfield will most likely be my last choice.

Go for JM if you like going out more. AV rooms/kitchens are slightly nicer than JM though. You're choices are good, last year I went for AV,Rootes + Cryfield.
Reply 1882
1. Is there a student hall for an antisocial bookworm? Finance MSc.

2. Anyone got pictures of these student halls? Its quite ridiculous that they ask students to commit thousands of GBP towards accommodation without a proper set of pictures. What kind of property sells like that?

PS/Edit1: I've exhausted all Warwick website info, so I'm just asking for additional opinions or other sources - thx.

PS/Edit2: Basically for postgrad it comes down to 4 halls: Claycroft, Heronbank, Lakeside, Tocil.
Poland

2. Anyone got pictures of these student halls? Its quite ridiculous that they ask students to commit thousands of GBP towards accommodation without a proper set of pictures. What kind of property sells like that?

1) Probably Arthur Vick
2) There are some on the website. There's a few in the first two posts, but it's still under construction at the moment as this is a community driven thread.

(Current Students I need you to contribute :yy:)
Poland

PS/Edit1: I've exhausted all Warwick website info, so I'm just asking for additional opinions or other sources - thx.

PS/Edit2: Basically for postgrad it comes down to 4 halls: Claycroft, Heronbank, Lakeside, Tocil.

Yeah, I just realised you were Postgrad when looking at the other thread. I think that Tocil is the most sociable of the four halls. Lakeside is the only hall without first year undergraduates living in (even though you should be living with Postgraduates whatever you choose). Heronbank, Lakeside and Claycroft are all in quieter areas, while Claycroft is very close to Tesco (a plus for food shopping).
Reply 1885
Block: Cryfield 3

Summary:
Cheapest place on campus, rooms are relatively small, corridoors are narrow, but you soon get used to that. Location wise it depends on what you're doing. Its a couple of mins away from the Union/Costcutters but around 10 mins away from the maths block.

Pros:
-Its cheap.
-You have a common room (although I admit they only seem to be regularly used by ground floor people)
-Kitchens are fine (if you're lucky you'll be in one of the bigger ones with decent views outside)
-They mostly seem to be filled with maths/life sciences people (maybe because we're keen on saving money).
-Location is pretty good in general, plus there's a car park thats never really full about a minute away, so moving in and out is made SLIGHTLY easier.
-You have a sink in your room!
- You have some space where you can keep your belongings during the holidays.
- A number of international students live here. Mostly Chinese, but also a fair few Europeans.

Cons:
- Upstairs people seem to be an extremely quiet bunch, I mean we have a common room capable of seating around 20-25, but they NEVER seem to use it.
-Halls mostly seem to be filled with maths/life sciences people. If you're an English/Languages student and you want to go out but no-one else wants to because they've got a lab report or an analysis deadline, I guess it can get pretty frustrating at times.
-Walls/ceilings are pretty thin. So if you're living/partying near the resident tutors late in the evening, they can get pretty pissed off after a while (although if you ask me, what did they expect living amongst a bunch of first years?)
-You have to move out at the end of term.
-You have no control over the heating in your room. Most of the time its fine, but depending on where you are in the block some rooms can get pretty cold.
-Cleaners sometimes use the common room to play bingo/bitch about the state of the kitchens.
-Quite far from Tescos, but the exercise is probably good for you!

All in all if I have to pick a halls of residence again, I'd choose this place.
Thanks for your contributions so far everyone :smile:

Does no one on here live in Claycroft/Tocil/Whitefields/Rootes/Westwood/Heronbank/Benefactors :holmes:
Reply 1887
Block: Heronbank (North Court)
Summary: Heronbank is 39 week let en-suite accommodation about 7 minutes walk from main campus and about 17 minutes walk from Tesco. The undergraduate block is one building split into North Court and East Court. There are 8 people to a flat but the term flat is really just for administrative purposes (much like the North/East division) as once you are in the building you can get to any other 'flat' you like.

Pros:
-It is 39 week let so you can either stay over the holidays or go home and leave everything there
-There's an integral launderette on the ground floor of East Court which, if you dislike the outdoors, it's possible to get to without ever leaving the building
-The rooms are a very good size with more than enough storage space. There's also a comfortable chair next to the desk which if you are me you can keep your lab coat on but it is probably quite good for sitting on when the excitement from spinning round on the desk chair wears off
-It is next to a lake (more of a glorified pond) so there are a lot of ducks, geese, swans and other assorted birds that make bizarre noises around if you like that kind of thing
-Bathrooms are cleaned every week, rooms every other week and kitchens Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It depends where in the building you are as to what time the rooms are cleaned. For me, the bathroom only weeks are about 9:30 am and the room weeks are 9 am which I guess some people might consider a con but the cleaners are very amenable and you can either put a note on your door requesting no cleaning or ask them to come back later
-For sociable people the corridor set up will be a pro as you are free to roam through flats and meet people from all over the building if you so wish
-There is an absurd amount of cupboard space in the kitchen
-No escaping the fact it is one of the quietest halls on campus. This is a definite pro for me so that is why it is here but for people who like to make a lot of noise and enjoy frequent fire alarms this will be a con. Being quieter does not equate to being less sociable as the majority of flats are quite outgoing and friendly, it just means there is a higher frequency of borderline recluses, like me.

Cons:
-Not the most expensive halls per week but the 39 week let means it is the most expensive undergraduate accommodation overall
-I have heard numerous complains it is too far from main campus but personally I do not think it is a problem (it takes me 15 minutes to get to Gibbet Hill, 7 minutes to the library or Arts Centre). The same goes for the distance to Tesco which many people (unnecessarily) overcome by getting their shopping delivered or by getting a taxi
-The cookers are fairly unreliable - they seem to be semi-autonomous and decide themselves what temperature to be set at once they have been switched on
-For 8 people the fridge is not really big enough, with not even 8 shelves
-Not enough herons about to warrant it being called Heronbank though I am sure most people can overlook this one

I have some photographs somewhere, will add at a later date.
Reply 1888
hey everyone, cant wait to start at warwick! just wondered what the deal is in relation to having non uni people stay in your room? (basically if my boyfriend came to stay!)

are they very strict?

thanks
ecg
hey everyone, cant wait to start at warwick! just wondered what the deal is in relation to having non uni people stay in your room? (basically if my boyfriend came to stay!)

are they very strict?

thanks

The rules are you have to write the name of the person on the warden's door and tell them how long they are going to stay.

But they don't really notice :p: As long as the cleaners don't notice two people living in one room constantly then it is fine. But people come over and stay the weekend/stay the week all the time.
Reply 1890
well that sounds pretty fair! thanks
Reply 1891
Onefour, thanks for your input. Can't find too much info about Lakeside and Heronbank and I am trying to choose between them.

According to Warwick website the only differences between Lakeside and Heronbank are:

- Lakeside has "phone in room" while Heronbank doesn't.
- Lakeside has blankets while Heronbank has duvets (lol).
- Lakeside does not accomodate 1st year students while Heronbank does.
- Lakeside costs 114GBP per week, Heronbank 112GBP per week.

Seriously? Anything other than that (and location)? Say... which one is newer or newly refurbished? How do they compare to each other in terms of room size (website says it's the same though)? There must be something... Cheers for any info :claus:
Poland
Onefour, thanks for your input. Can't find too much info about Lakeside and Heronbank and I am trying to choose between them.

According to Warwick website the only differences between Lakeside and Heronbank are:

- Lakeside has "phone in room" while Heronbank doesn't.
- Lakeside has blankets while Heronbank has duvets (lol).
- Lakeside does not accomodate 1st year students while Heronbank does.
- Lakeside costs 114GBP per week, Heronbank 112GBP per week.

Seriously? Anything other than that (and location)? Say... which one is newer or newly refurbished? How do they compare to each other in terms of room size (website says it's the same though)? There must be something... Cheers for any info :claus:

Duvet/blankets thing doesn't really matter if you bring your own bedsheets/linen.

Heronbank was completed in 2003, while Lakeside was completed in 2000.
Interesting historical article here put Lakeside as being £8 more expensive than Jack Martin in 2000 but 10 years on it seems to be the other way around. Doubt they would have done much refurbishing (especially the kitchens - JM ones have lasted from 1993 to 2009)

Also interesting is that £62.40 in 2000 would now be worth £79.87 today :colonhash:

Sadly can't help with the other stuff as I haven't visited Lakeside/Heronbank to compare.
TheTallOne
Thanks for your contributions so far everyone :smile:

Does no one on here live in Claycroft/Tocil/Whitefields/Rootes/Westwood/Heronbank/Benefactors :holmes:

I'm Claycroft. Remind me about this when we're back at uni and I'll write a bit for you and take photos. I don't really have any of my room at the moment and am at home miles and miles from uni!
ROOTES. seriously. i need say no more.
except:
cheap
most sociable halls/loudest. due to people who apply, given its reputation, and the way its laid out, ie corridors, big kitchens, shared ammenities.
you can see the union from all windows.
literally two steps to launderette
5 to costcutter
5 to the buses
and about 10 to lectures. i get up at 10 to 9 every morning and make it to my 9ams :smile:
so ROOOOOOOTES!!!
Reply 1895
Hi all! Does anyone know which students have the best chance of getting on-campus accomodation? After reading info provided by Warwick it seems that the order is as follows (starting from the most prioritized, excluding any special circumstances):

1. First year undergrads - all.
2. Final year undergrads - overseas.
3. Postrgraduates - overseas.
4. Postrgraduates - home/eu ('not guaranteed a room').

Does that sound about right?

Being a EU postgraduate applicant my prospects seem bleak since I would be at the end of the line. Or am I wrong? How does it work in reality? Also, are Heronbank and Lakeside oversubscribed? If one of them is 'less popular' please do tell which one as I'd probably be applying there. Many thanks in advance - found this thread really helpful so far.
I would check that Warwick offers halls for postgraduates. I'm not completely sure that they do...
Explorer Dora
I would check that Warwick offers halls for postgraduates. I'm not completely sure that they do...

Claycroft, Heronbank, Lakeside and Tocil all have sections for postgraduate students.
Poland
Hi all! Does anyone know which students have the best chance of getting on-campus accomodation? After reading info provided by Warwick it seems that the order is as follows (starting from the most prioritized, excluding any special circumstances):

1. First year undergrads - all.
2. Final year undergrads - overseas.
3. Postrgraduates - overseas.
4. Postrgraduates - home/eu ('not guaranteed a room').

Does that sound about right?

Being a EU postgraduate applicant my prospects seem bleak since I would be at the end of the line. Or am I wrong? How does it work in reality? Also, are Heronbank and Lakeside oversubscribed? If one of them is 'less popular' please do tell which one as I'd probably be applying there. Many thanks in advance - found this thread really helpful so far.

You're wrong in the sense that people listed below you at the top of this page (eg part time Erasmus students) are dead last with regards to priority, as you could argue that finding accommodation for just 2 months is more difficult than finding one for 42 weeks (especially from another country).

Some accommodation is set aside specifically for Postgraduates (same for First and Final year Undergraduates - Final year undergraduate on campus accommodation has already been allocated for 10/11). You are competing against first year overseas postgraduate (who have priority) and first year Home/EU postgraduate. It is unlikely that overseas postgraduates will take up all the rooms, so you will be in a ballot with other Home/EU students for the remaining places. In the unlikely case that all Postgraduates who applied for on campus accommodation get allocated, probably everyone will be shifted to Claycroft/Heronbank/Lakeside, leaving the smaller Tocil flats free and they will give it to first year undergraduates. (This has happened before - in 2000, where Postgraduate uptake in the new Lakeside building was low, so undergraduates were offered rooms there and they did take them. This was discontinued last year, so I assume demand from Postgraduates is high enough again so that for 10/11 it will be very unlikely).
I've been given an offer from Warwick to do Computer Science, should be applying for accommodation soon. Can existing Warwick undergraduates share their opinions on the different accommodation available? I'm looking for an average priced one that isn't miles away from everything else! :smile: Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending