The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham on a Saturday night

Hey, so i'm a fresher and still not sure of what places are best on which nights apart from the obvious.
However, my friend from home is visiting tonight and i dont know where is best to go on a Saturday, i've asked a rep and they said either Forum or Cocotang, just wondered if there were any other suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mansfield is a beautiful place to have a drink in it's many charming cafes and soak in the architecture and atmosphere of that awe-inspiringly lovely town.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,
i used to live in notts and just moved.I miss it like crazy, urm for night clubs the is Oceana,Halo,Gate crasher,Isis..i know that the are mainly the most obvious but the are decent.Or you could get something to eat in the corner house,the are many restaurants there.
It is a nice city,the shops are good and hopefully over the year you will get used to it lol :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
anywhere you'd recommend for nice drinks and maybe a bit of a dance but not like one of the big nightclubs? somewhere a bit s****y? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by helenlouise123
anywhere you'd recommend for nice drinks and maybe a bit of a dance but not like one of the big nightclubs? somewhere a bit s****y? :smile:

er Stealth? Or Rock City. I think they are pretty mainstream but obv not as people have said Oceania and Isis haha I mean wtf, why would anyone go to a ****ty mainstream club and listen to pop and rnb!? Stealth/rescued play DnB, dub step, indie and other stuff and City is mainstream rock/brutal/emo/scremo etc I would sayThe Maze on Mansfield Road or a gig is the best place in Notts on a Saturday night, The Maze plays dub step, DnB, acid house and loads other stuff.
Reply 5
Maybe cocotang, it's okay.
Saturday night cocotang is expensive... rock city, forum, rescue rooms that area is pretty good or gatecrasher? Or if you like oceana - go on the oceana facebook page to see the offers
Original post by Organ
Mansfield is a beautiful place to have a drink in it's many charming cafes and soak in the architecture and atmosphere of that awe-inspiringly lovely town.

Is this a joke? From what I've seen of Mansfield it's a bit of a craphole. Besides its quite a long way from Central Nottingham. West Bridgford on the other hand is a nice town not far from Nottingham which has some nice bars.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Organ

Original post by Organ

LOL. I live in Mansfield. You're so exactly wrong. I realise you're joking by the way :smile: I would actually be fascinated by a person who really thought this of mansfield.

Hey, so i'm a fresher and still not sure of what places are best on which nights apart from the obvious.
However, my friend from home is visiting tonight and i dont know where is best to go on a Saturday, i've asked a rep and they said either Forum or Cocotang, just wondered if there were any other suggestions?

Nottingham makes for an awesome night out. Although everything is a bit spread out, it's great. I'd say the very best bar would be the Blue Bell Lounge/Inn on the same street as Revolutions (and the rest of the Cornerhouse). Blue Bell also has looooads of student offers, so you should totally go there with your student card. I could also say Cape is good, but this is based on hearsay. I'd say don't go to Revolutions; it's largely overpriced.

For clubs, the best imo is definitely rock city. There are multiple rooms for whatever your music taste, drinks aren't too highly priced, it's always nice and busy, it's huge. You can also find 'Hey Hey Hey' on Facebook so that you can put yourself on the free guestlist. Do this now! Before 8.00pm. There's Baa Bar which is a club/bar: loads of shots for £1 and great music. Oceana is pretty crap earlier on, and can sometimes be good later on, but the price of the drinks there deters me. There's gay town just past Oceana if that's your thing. NG1 is awesome as long as you get in before 11 and don't have to pay £8 admission.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head!
Reply 9

Walkabout is a bit ****ty. Baa Bars is not ****ty but would satisfy the earlier descriptors. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ultimate mashup
Is this a joke? From what I've seen of Mansfield it's a bit of a craphole. Besides its quite a long way from Central Nottingham. West Bridgford on the other hand is a nice town not far from Nottingham which has some nice bars.

Yeah. It was a joke.
Reply 11

There are places like BZR for those who want a place with loud club music and drinking, etc. Personally I hate it. There's Rock City for those who prefer something a bit more Indie, Metal or Rock-ish. There's Wetherspoons in the square, which is a good place to sit down and have a chat; great for the end of an evening I think.

I'm probably a bit late here though :biggrin:
Reply 12

It has to be a joke. Mansfiield is the pits.
Original post by craigkirk
walkabout is a bit ****ty. Baa bars is not ****ty but would satisfy the earlier descriptors. :smile:

oh no!
I meant
s-w-a-n-k-y
saturday night is awful, everywhere is way too packed. Spanky van Dykes just down from Rock city is a nice place, so is Cucamaras just of market square. BZR is a wee bit sh***y too so maybe there?
Reply 15
oh no!
I meant
s-w-a-n-k-y

God damn Scunthorpe problem.
Saltwater in the Cornerhouse is nice. They have a terrace bar. :awesome:
Reply 17

I've been on a couple of nights out in Mansfield when my missus used to live there, and I'll have you know it wasn't bad at all, shag.

Nothing beats buying two pints and getting change from 2 quid.

Why would anyone go out in Bridgford when you're 15 minutes walk from the city centre? :s-smilie: The Strat is a cracking little pub to go for a few pints, but there are plenty of equally good pubs in the city.

Nottingham is a great night out on almost any night of the week. I really miss living there. :frown:
Original post by py0alb
I've been on a couple of nights out in Mansfield when my missus used to live there, and I'll have you know it wasn't bad at all, shag.

Nothing beats buying two pints and getting change from 2 quid.

Why would anyone go out in Bridgford when you're 15 minutes walk from the city centre? :s-smilie: The Strat is a cracking little pub to go for a few pints, but there are plenty of equally good pubs in the city.

Nottingham is a great night out on almost any night of the week. I really miss living there. :frown:

West Bridgford has a nice relaxed ambience though in comparison to Nottingham. Like you say the Stratford pub is good as is the monkey tree and some of those bars next to Trent Bridge such as Southbank and the new Spoons Trent Bridge Inn.

But come on Mansfield is awlful lol! perhaps not so bad if you are drunk - and then anything is good lol!
Reply 19
West Bridgford has a nice relaxed ambience though in comparison to Nottingham. Like you say the Stratford pub is good as is the monkey tree and some of those bars next to Trent Bridge such as Southbank and the new Spoons Trent Bridge Inn.

But come on Mansfield is awlful lol! perhaps not so bad if you are drunk - and then anything is good lol!

Thing is, you could list good pubs and bars all the way from Bridgford over the bridge and into town, and then out again in any direction you fancy. Nottingham is packed with great pubs. Southbank - Riverside - Navigation - Newshouse - then you're into town. Where do you go out in town? There are loads of pubs very similar to the Strat, old fashioned places with friendly clientele and good beers.

Quick Reply

Latest