The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

experience in Bristol !!

hi , currently i've got and offer from bristol.but heard that student have to walk to the uni everyday and they dont have shuttle bus . can i know whether is true or not? and How's Bristol actually life?? :smile: mind to share?
Reply 1
Hey there is a free shuttle bus to and from the precinct from the stoke bishop halls. I lived in Clifton halls though so it was only a 15 min walk to uni for me. Bristol's great, there's so much to do, great night life etc. I have really enjoyed uni here. If I were you go for halls in stoke bishop, it's more lively there
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by bond13
hi , currently i've got and offer from bristol.but heard that student have to walk to the uni everyday and they dont have shuttle bus . can i know whether is true or not? and How's Bristol actually life?? :smile: mind to share?

Well my brother went to UWE (in Bristol) and so I've been to visit him a lot
I'm not sure about the whole shuttle bus thing but Bristol is a beautiful place, it's very modern and I think they've put a lot of money into it. The shopping is good and I loved the Banksy exhibition at one of the museums :smile:
I really love it as a city but I'm afraid I can't help you out with uni-experience. I know my brother loves it and he has lived there for about 6 years now :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by charli135
Hey there is a free shuttle bus to and from the precinct from the stoke bishop halls. I lived in Clifton halls though so it was only a 15 min walk to uni for me. Bristol's great, there's so much to do, great night life etc. I have really enjoyed uni here. If I were you go for halls in stoke bishop, it's more lively there

I was just wondering, is Durdham's social life non-existent or is this just a myth? Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 4
and can u recommend some of the hostel? i prefer en suite and abit modern :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by charli135

hi:smile: can i know whats the diff between clifton and stoke bishop hall?
Reply 6
Get a bike. Stay fit and save a lot of time.
Bristol was great - i had an awesome 4 years there.
As for the other questions, google :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by brabzzz
Get a bike. Stay fit and save a lot of time.
Bristol was great - i had an awesome 4 years there.
As for the other questions, google :smile:

haha:smile: which hostel did u stayed for the first year?
Reply 8
Churchill Hall (one of the Stoke Bishop ones).

I never left, unlike most people - stayed there for 4 years, though the last 3 were in 'The Holmes' which is the old part of the hall over the road from the main complex.

From hall to lectures was 10 minutes by bike - the fastest way to get around Bristol.

As far as social life, which someone asked about, you make your own, in any hall. They don't dump all the quiet people in one hall, all the animals in another and all the chess club somewhere else. There's a mix everywhere. You still have to put the effort in :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by brabzzz
Churchill Hall (one of the Stoke Bishop ones).

I never left, unlike most people - stayed there for 4 years, though the last 3 were in 'The Holmes' which is the old part of the hall over the road from the main complex.

From hall to lectures was 10 minutes by bike - the fastest way to get around Bristol.

As far as social life, which someone asked about, you make your own, in any hall. They don't dump all the quiet people in one hall, all the animals in another and all the chess club somewhere else. There's a mix everywhere. You still have to put the effort in :smile:

haha.animals? lol.alright.thanks ofr ur information:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Hemzo
I was just wondering, is Durdham's social life non-existent or is this just a myth? Thanks! :biggrin:

Hey I don't know personally as I didn't stay there, but I've heard that alot from other students who say that Durdham and Churchill are both pretty boring halls. It might just be a bad year though, it depends who you're with more than anything!
Reply 11
Original post by bond13
hi:smile: can i know whats the diff between clifton and stoke bishop hall?

Clifton halls are Manor hall, Goldney and Clifton Hill House. They are situated in a different part of bristol to the Stoke Bishop halls (Stoke Bishop is where all the other halls are). The Clifton halls are 15 mins walk from the uni, stoke bishop are 45 mins walk, but there's the shuttle bus. Stoke Bishop is generally more lively, but clifton is so convenient. I stayed in Clifton hill house it was great because you never had to get a taxi anywhere, you could walk home after nights out etc, generally the vibe is pretty calm and studious in CHH, but i met some pretty good like-minded friends and we would go out at least a few times a week. If i had my time again though I would choose stoke bishop. I hear though that Manor is pretty good, and goldney is apparently awesome but super expensive and difficult to get in!
Not to get you worried, but if you do use a bike, make sure you lock it securely - put locks on both wheels, or a chain through them. Especially round the centre and towards Cotham/Stokes Croft anyway. Those areas aren't dodgy in terms of muggings or anything (not that I've seen), it's just people seem to have a thing for bicycle parts...
Original post by Guitarded
Not to get you worried, but if you do use a bike, make sure you lock it securely - put locks on both wheels, or a chain through them. Especially round the centre and towards Cotham/Stokes Croft anyway. Those areas aren't dodgy in terms of muggings or anything (not that I've seen), it's just people seem to have a thing for bicycle parts...

Shiny things in general, some of them
Reply 14
Original post by Hemzo

Yeah Durdham really is very quiet.

Quick Reply