The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Miss Purple
Firstly, really sorry for the long acknowledgement of your replies! (Uni exams etc -__-) Really apprieciate them thank you so much for your advice! :smile:

Hi there :smile: nooo, I don't grease the actual scarf haha, no no, I mean't my hair.. And every 6 weeks? I've had it over a year! I've made a note of what shampoo and oils to put in my conditioner :smile:

I'd say my hair is 4a and yes I'm in London!

Some it becomes less effective after a certain amoutn fo time, or you could just buy a silk pillowcase. Ok so you won't have problems finding products
finished my box braids.
Original post by LostArtOfMurder
Does anyone know any cheap (but good) places to get a weave done? I want to go back to having a weave but I definitely can't afford the place I used to go to.

Anyone?
Reply 1883
I want to dye my hair red (it's dark brown/black right now) but I've never dyed my hair before so I was just wondering what the best brand would be?
Original post by humy369
Don't know how I've only just found this thread.

I relax my hair every 6 weeks or so and have done for about 2 years. My hairs been getting "thinner" lately, as my mum likes to put it. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to get thicker hair :smile:

In my experience (11years relaxing) its not a good idea to go too long without relaxing as hair can start to break. Try to be consistent with when you re touch. Also its not ideal to re touch less than 6 weeks.

You may need to just switch up your hair routine. Try a hair mask such as Phillp Kingsley elastisizer which is a good treatment. It is a bit pricey but if you look around on the net you should be able to find it cheap.

Other options are mane n tail which is meant to help grow hair as is nourkin which is a hair treatment tablet which helps prevent hair loss.
I tend to wash my hair once a week. I don't do more than one shampoo as over washing and leaving conditioner on for too long don't help. Also when drying hair. Let it dry at least 50% naturally before applying heat so you don't have heat on your hair for too long.

Try not to use too much heat and if you do then use a heat protection spray.

Maybe your hairdressers do a conditioning treatment you could have in between relaxers ? Your stylist should be able to advise or perhaps a change of relaxer is needed. Another think that damaged my hair was colour. You didn't state that you coloured your hair but its something to consider. Semi perm colour is a good option.

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Ah I need to get me a silk pillow case :angry: damn headcap keeps coming off!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by LostArtOfMurder
Anyone?

Crown and Glory in Camberwell are cheap and the weave looks quite good but I have never had it on my own head.
Original post by humy369
I want to dye my hair red (it's dark brown/black right now) but I've never dyed my hair before so I was just wondering what the best brand would be?

I would recommend a semi permanent colour as its safer but also washes out if you're not happy. If you can afford it then get it done at a hairdressers if not then just use a semi-perm colour. If you have thick hair that is past your shoulders would recommend more than one bottle.

I don't know an exact shop brand as I get my done in my hairdressers (brand:Goldwell shade:5VR)

If you do begin to colour you have to remember to keep up with conditioning.

I don't recommend Dark and Lovely. Had a bad experience where hair broke!!!

Good luck x

Reply 1888
Original post by Candesense
I would recommend a semi permanent colour as its safer but also washes out if you're not happy. If you can afford it then get it done at a hairdressers if not then just use a semi-perm colour. If you have thick hair that is past your shoulders would recommend more than one bottle.

I don't know an exact shop brand as I get my done in my hairdressers (brand:Goldwell shade:5VR)

If you do begin to colour you have to remember to keep up with conditioning.

I don't recommend Dark and Lovely. Had a bad experience where hair broke!!!

Good luck x

Thank you :smile:
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Crown and Glory in Camberwell are cheap and the weave looks quite good but I have never had it on my own head.

Okay thanks, I'll look into it
does anyone know nice prom hairstyles!?!!?!!
Reply 1891
Original post by sheepshap
does anyone know nice prom hairstyles!?!!?!!

Depends if you want to do braids, ahve your own hair, etc
Original post by Ebuwa
Depends if you want to do braids, ahve your own hair, etc

Well i have fine-medium hair so i was gonna have it up with a fringe- i have a large forehead
I just dont know what to do with the rest of my hair :/
Does anyone know reputable sources for virgin hair? I don't really feel like getting scammed by a local hair shop, so I'd rather get deets of somewhere that's official :tongue:

Reply 1894
Original post by R4INBOW
Does anyone know reputable sources for virgin hair? I don't really feel like getting scammed by a local hair shop, so I'd rather get deets of somewhere that's official :tongue:

here's a few, on facebook search:

Good Hair
Hairwaves brazilian hair
ukhairweaves
love hair
Hey guys

So I relaxed my hair 1-2 years ago, which was great while it lasted, but due to serious breakage, I'm just gunna grow out the relaxer and go back to natural. So in the meantime I'm looking to do a full weave. I'd like something that looks really nice, for back to uni =D...and relatively natural, i'd liek something curly....I'm not too hot on fringes, or the big middle parting (if you know what I mean)...can anyone suggest any styles (my google searching is failing)...

Also, I'd like to try the whole virgin remy hair but I'm like REALLY new to all of it, so don't know very much....advice on both would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys xx
Hi guys

After a suggestion on this thread, I've been searching for natural shampoos and conditioners on the Holland and Barrett website. Are these shampoos any good? They are supposed to be natural but they've got all sorts of ingredients I am confused about :s-smilie:

Anyone?
Rant:

There are only a few things in this world more annoying than when you pay good money for braids only to have some unravelling within a week

FFFFFSSSSS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Hi guys

After a suggestion on this thread, I've been searching for natural shampoos and conditioners on the Holland and Barrett website. Are these shampoos any good? They are supposed to be natural but they've got all sorts of ingredients I am confused about :s-smilie:

Anyone?

They sell Dr Organic brand products which are okay. I've used a conditioner of theirs - they're all natural you could add some of your own oils to it.
Check these out people great protective style without extensions
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest