The Student Room Group

work experience for 16 yr olds??

hi,

I was wondering if i would be able to get work experience at an investment bank at the end of june/beg of july after my gcse's as I have to do 2 wks work experience

has anyone done this before? I am planning to send e-mails to all the banks tomorrow and have asked some ex-investment banker teachers at my school.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Deutche Bank have vacancies for July 08-Jan 09 and Jan 09-July 09. The two vacancies are for research assistants to work for a six month period within the emerging markets team in london. Applicants should be doing A-levels (economics preffered) and be achieving high grades. The email for you to send your CV is:

[email protected].

I know this cause I wrote it down as a back up plan in case I didnt get into Uni, so I might as well pass it on since I've just received an offer. Good luck.
well (a) it doesn't really apply to the OP's question does it :rolleyes:

(b) it seems like your showing off as you very well know the deadline for this has passed and thus no one can apply to it anymore

(c) did you also apply for the CF one at DB or just this research crap?
Reply 3
akademic
well (a) it doesn't really apply to the OP's question does it :rolleyes:

(b) it seems like your showing off as you very well know the deadline for this has passed and thus no one can apply to it anymore

(c) did you also apply for the CF one at DB or just this research crap?

Firstly, I'm just trying to help. Secondly, I didnt write down the deadline so I apologise for that. Thirdly, the I didnt see the CF one advertised, just the EM research vacancies. Hey, I'm just trying to lend a helping hand, I was going to apply for it if i didnt get into uni, but I've now received an offer so I thought I might as well pass it on to someone who will use it.
Reply 4
OK I need to formally apologise. I see what you mean now, I didnt read the question properly. My mistake, I was a bit tired. I must of thought he meant any time starting July but obviously I was mistaken. I apoogise for "showing off".
Reply 5
to the OP, i would advise you contact the banks themselves with your CV and cover letter. It is very difficult to get work exp at an Investment bank at GCSE level and is usually only achievable with family/friend connections. The best thing would be to gain financial work exp at the big 4 accountancy firms. I got 2 weeks at PWC in 2006 after my GCSEs and it was a great experience.
Reply 6
okay, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 7
steve2006
to the OP, i would advise you contact the banks themselves with your CV and cover letter. It is very difficult to get work exp at an Investment bank at GCSE level and is usually only achievable with family/friend connections. The best thing would be to gain financial work exp at the big 4 accountancy firms. I got 2 weeks at PWC in 2006 after my GCSEs and it was a great experience.

I would not advise this. You are so unlikely to get it that it is a complete waste of time. Unless you have lots of time to waste, I suggest you concentrate on your GCSEs because writing cover letters etc. can take quite a while. I wasted LOADS of time on it, and Im at A Level.
Reply 8
tomoli
I would not advise this. You are so unlikely to get it that it is a complete waste of time. Unless you have lots of time to waste, I suggest you concentrate on your GCSEs because writing cover letters etc. can take quite a while. I wasted LOADS of time on it, and Im at A Level.

thats what i said. I said its only achievable with family links. Cant u read?

PWC, Deloitte, EY and KPMG are willing to take on 16 year olds. All i did was send a CV and i got a 2 week placement in corp tax which is a very good similar alternative to Investment Banking. You are more likely to do something more involved at a Big 4 firm than at a BB firm at your age
Reply 9
steve2006

Yes I can read, thanks.
the next line. I told him:

It is very difficult to get work exp at an Investment bank at GCSE level and is usually only achievable with family/friend connections

:confused:

You dont need to send a Cover letter, a CV should do. You should have a good, well structured CV by now
Reply 11
steve2006
the next line. I told him:

:confused:

You dont need to send a Cover letter, a CV should do. You should have a good, well structured CV by now

I don't want to have an argument. You clearly said that you advise him to send a cover letter and CV, if you didn't mean this then why say it? All I was doing was disagreeing.

You have clearly just contradicted yourself. Any idiot can see that.
hmm ok i realise i was unclear. Happy now :wink:
Reply 13
Yes thanks. :wink:
JPMorgan are actually doing a program in July specifically for people who have just finished GCSEs and interested in investment banking. Deadline was aaaages ago alas, yet none of the applicants have yet received replies. they sure are taking their sweet time *annoyed*
ask one of your teachers if they know anyone who may work at a bank, or if one of your friends older bro etc work at one

i got work experience at a stockbroking company because of my business studies teacher lol and for some reason UBS used to take a bunch of us round their building to get girls more interested in business etc
Reply 16
i.am.lost
JPMorgan are actually doing a program in July specifically for people who have just finished GCSEs and interested in investment banking. Deadline was aaaages ago alas, yet none of the applicants have yet received replies. they sure are taking their sweet time *annoyed*

launching leaders?
koonergs
launching leaders?

No I don't think so. It's called "A Taste of the Possibilities - JPMorgan GCSE Program" July 7-10 2008.
And by the way, I deeply resent whoever left me the negative rep. claiming it had been posted already and writing "I hope you *******ing die". Grow up.

Edit: it seems people are mis-understanding me thinking I am telling people to die. I am quoting what they wrote! Please stop negative repping me because of this!
Reply 18
steve2006

wat was so signifigant to land you the work exp?
Reply 19
i.am.lost
No I don't think so. It's called "A Taste of the Possibilities - JPMorgan GCSE Program" July 7-10 2008.
And by the way, I deeply resent whoever left me the negative rep. claiming it had been posted already and writing "I hope you *******ing die". Grow up.

Edit: it seems people are mis-understanding me thinking I am telling people to die. I am quoting what they wrote! Please stop negative repping me because of this!

is there a link?

Latest

Trending

Trending