The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

TheLouisVuittonDon
are you shorting these? or in for the long haul?

i'm reading about them now, think my money will go in to them. :yep:

do you know where i can see the trades for a share? like the buy/sell orders?

If you want them live then register for free at advfn
to have the share price live as well, use shareprice.co.uk

ps. dont know, I will stay as long as my money keeps increasing!
Reply 81
Do you think PXS is worth investing when the market opens tomorow morning with a value of 15.00p ish.. ?
I'm also new to shares, how can you predict the release of the RNS ?
is it the same every year..? or is it mentioned somewhere!?
Sh1fty
Do you think PXS is worth investing when the market opens tomorow morning with a value of 15.00p ish.. ?

My advice for you is to do a lot of research before you consider putting money into any share. You seem to not be aware of things which you should... If you read and look at charts you will notice PXS has never been worth huge amounts of money because they have only just brought their product into the market.
In my opinion this share will go up, to what level I dont know as I have researched it much because it doesnt interest me.
Use the companies websites, general google searches on the company, iii, shareprice.co.uk and others just to evaluate and decide whether YOU personally think this is worth investment. Please do not invest on someone else's saying so. Shares can go two ways.
Sh1fty

tbh I see it opening at 13p, so if you could get it at that price that would be fab, but you would have to be very fast, as I see it going from 13 to 15 in a matter of 2 minutes.

Everyone is talking about it, so every one will want in tomorrow. Only thing that I dont know is if we will go 20 or 80% up, and If an RNS will come out. There is a good chance the news has leaked.

No, RNS can come whenever the company decides to release it. We know its coming soon because it is a month overdue. Hence the 12000% increase. wow!
Reply 84
Thanks for the advice dudes, i'll research into this tonight
Sh1fty
Thanks for the advice dudes, i'll research into this tonight

No probs, just make sure you're buying for your reasons not other peoples :smile: that way if it goes tits up you wont want to stab anyone but yourself :P
Reply 86
turn_the_page_day_by_day
Just for those who are new to buying shares, you might notice me and others on here using abbreviations. Below I've listed what a few mean....

SP - Share Price
MM - Market Maker
Short - Buying a share short term
Long - Buying a share long term
RNS - Regulatory News Service (the exchanges service of releasing news about companies)
LSE - London Stock Exchange

This is just a few but it might help people understand some of my posts :smile:

I would just like to point out a mistake youve made here in regards to SHORT and LONG.

To SHORT a stock means that you are betting that its price will move down or lower.

To go LONG a stock means that you are betting that its price will move upwards or higher.

E.g. If you take a LONG position on INTC at $20, you are betting that the stock price will move above $20.

Just wanted to point that out :smile:
any other shares to watch at the moment?

i'm going in early on PXS. fingers crossed..
Reply 88
hotshot
I would just like to point out a mistake youve made here in regards to SHORT and LONG.

To SHORT a stock means that you are betting that its price will move down or lower.

To go LONG a stock means that you are betting that its price will move upwards or higher.

E.g. If you take a LONG position on INTC at $20, you are betting that the stock price will move above $20.

Just wanted to point that out :smile:

Um... yeah.

"Turn the page"; are you new to all this? I would learn some stuff before investing money else your going to lose a fair bit.

Shorts and longs are trading tools, not used for owning physical shares like you would if you went and got a share certificate.

Shorting is essentially borrowing a share to sell at the current market value (eg 10p) then buying it back when its price has moved (ie to 5p). Hopefully giving you 5p/share profit. However, if it moves away from you (to 15p) you have to buy it back at 15p/share meaning you lose more than you invested. Its dangerous for beginners.

Going long is the opposite, but the same risks apply.

These can be done on margin (ie you invest 5% of the total share price and then the bank puts in the rest) but this leads to even greater dangers of losing money you dont have. There is a video of a guy on the internet losing $200,000 without being able to do anything about it, and I know personally a guy who lost about $50,000 in a day.
Cj-Tj
Um... yeah.

"Turn the page"; are you new to all this? I would learn some stuff before investing money else your going to lose a fair bit.

Shorts and longs are trading tools, not used for owning physical shares like you would if you went and got a share certificate.

Shorting is essentially borrowing a share to sell at the current market value (eg 10p) then buying it back when its price has moved (ie to 5p). Hopefully giving you 5p/share profit. However, if it moves away from you (to 15p) you have to buy it back at 15p/share meaning you lose more than you invested. Its dangerous for beginners.

Going long is the opposite, but the same risks apply.

These can be done on margin (ie you invest 5% of the total share price and then the bank puts in the rest) but this leads to even greater dangers of losing money you dont have. There is a video of a guy on the internet losing $200,000 without being able to do anything about it, and I know personally a guy who lost about $50,000 in a day.

What are you in at the moment?

Do you short?! :eek: i don't think it's something i'd do until i have been trading for quite a few years. it's so risky.
If you read my comment you will notice I said these are term I will be using, I didnt state they were terminology.
By going short I mean investing on a short term basis, by going long I mean investing long term.

I'm fully aware of what shorts and longs mean, my phrasing could have been clearer perhaps.

And to answer your question am I new to this. No. I've worked in the financial industry for 3 years. I've invested in stocks and forex for a long time albeit no longer in Forex.

And again before you assume I'm going to loose money I'd like to point that I invested in GKP last thursday, if you know about them you will know where I stand, as well I have investments in LLOY and RBS which are both up 20%+.

This is something I dislike about this site, people feel the need to be picky about ever little thing that someone says 'incorrectly' in their eyes, then makes the assumption that person is clueless to the subject.

Thanks anyway.
TheLouisVuittonDon
any other shares to watch at the moment?

i'm going in early on PXS. fingers crossed..

CEB has potential, done a little bit of research around them, take a look.

I wont be investing though like I said before keeping my eggs in GKP and RBS/LLOY are keeping my portfolio sweet :smile: ha
Isnt that simply spread betting? An easy explanation is that you give for example £2 per point on a share. If you bet that the share will increase (going long) you will get £2 per every point that that share has moved up. If you bet the share will decrease (going short) you will get £2 per every point that the share has moved down. obviously if the opposite happens you will lose money.

It is so risky, i tried to learn it with practising software and I was a mess. For example if you put £2 on a share going up, and it instead goes down, u will lose £2 per share. therefore if the share goes down say 100% and that share has 3000 points you would lose £6000 just like that!

For me the only thing good is that you dont pay tax because it is betting

PS. you lot should chill. going short and long has different meanings in spread betting and standard trading
Reply 93
TheLouisVuittonDon
What are you in at the moment?

Do you short?! :eek: i don't think it's something i'd do until i have been trading for quite a few years. it's so risky.

I have a reletivly small amount of money invest in a stock I bought because I liked the company. Didnt do much research, but went with my emotion on this one. Its up about 20% at the moment. Company is called Agriterra (AGTA). It'll go soon.

I've shorted in the past, just for fun. Never been up over a period of more than a few days. Its interesting and much more exhallerating than shares because you see your profit/loss move by huge sums in seconds. If your betting £1 a point then on a big company share, or index, you can win/lose £4 or £5 in one tick. There is a tick approx. every 1 or 2 seconds when the markets are open so go figure.
PrincePauper

PS. you lot should chill. going short and long has different meanings in spread betting and standard trading

haha... I just wish people on here wouldnt be so pedantic and just assume someone is clueless based on absolutely nothing. Guess it make certain people feel big about themselves....

Well done today on PXS, you've got more to come yet.
Reply 95
turn_the_page_day_by_day
If you read my comment you will notice I said these are term I will be using, I didnt state they were terminology.
By going short I mean investing on a short term basis, by going long I mean investing long term.

I'm fully aware of what shorts and longs mean, my phrasing could have been clearer perhaps.

And to answer your question am I new to this. No. I've worked in the financial industry for 3 years. I've invested in stocks and forex for a long time albeit no longer in Forex.

And again before you assume I'm going to loose money I'd like to point that I invested in GKP last thursday, if you know about them you will know where I stand, as well I have investments in LLOY and RBS which are both up 20%+.

This is something I dislike about this site, people feel the need to be picky about ever little thing that someone says 'incorrectly' in their eyes, then makes the assumption that person is clueless to the subject.

Thanks anyway.

i think there was a misunderstanding with the wording and all. Many apologies for that. Anyway, were all noob traders here and so were all going to learn things from each other. Mainly why im in this thread.
turn_the_page_day_by_day
haha... I just wish people on here wouldnt be so pedantic and just assume someone is clueless based on absolutely nothing. Guess it make certain people feel big about themselves....

Well done today on PXS, you've got more to come yet.

it's quite clear you have a good knowledge. :smile: so why don't you want to get in on PXS? just wondering.
hotshot
i think there was a misunderstanding with the wording and all. Many apologies for that. Anyway, were all noob traders here and so were all going to learn things from each other. Mainly why im in this thread.

Its ok dont worry :smile:
Was the other guy mostly that wound me up ha... you can learn a lot from other peoples knowledge and I'm happy to post anything you wish to know, obviously as long as I know.
TheLouisVuittonDon
it's quite clear you have a good knowledge. :smile: so why don't you want to get in on PXS? just wondering.

Simple reason, funds. I dont have much available cash at the moment to invest and I dont see the point investing a few hundred in this because after covering broker fees I wouldnt see much profit. If I had more to invest I'd be doing the same as you, buying early tomorrow and watching it rocket to 20p next week. Just dont feel comfortable pulling money out of my fairly reliable shares (RBS/LLOY) to fund this.

How much do you plan to put into PXS tomorrow?
turn_the_page_day_by_day
Simple reason, funds. I dont have much available cash at the moment to invest and I dont see the point investing a few hundred in this because after covering broker fees I wouldnt see much profit. If I had more to invest I'd be doing the same as you, buying early tomorrow and watching it rocket to 20p next week. Just dont feel comfortable pulling money out of my fairly reliable shares (RBS/LLOY) to fund this.

How much do you plan to put into PXS tomorrow?

I dont understand. why dont you sell RBS/LLOY buy PXS and make 50% to 100% gain in two days and put the money back in?? RBS will only go up or down 5%. Dont see much gain there.
No harm sitting on a faster horse and switching back. Its not like RBS is going to miss you and beg you back, if you get what I mean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending