The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rhysjones_1
I understand with would be a negitive point of anyone's application, but does it actually prevent you from going to university? Has anyone got in with a caution for "a crime of deception"
Before anyone asks, no i do not have a criminal record, or caution :p:

you only have to declare any cautions, offences etc if you are applying for courses which entails work with vulnerable people. courses include, but arent limited to:
Nursing/Midwifery
Teaching
Medicine
Social Work
All NHS funded courses

if you, or whoever you are asking for, are concerned why not email prospective unis and ask what their policies are.
rhysjones_1
I understand with would be a negitive point of anyone's application, but does it actually prevent you from going to university? Has anyone got in with a caution for "a crime of deception"
Before anyone asks, no i do not have a criminal record, or caution :p:

Apply and see!I almost got a criminal record for assaault! I only got kicked outa school for it though.My victim knew i was a lil unhinged.We were on good terms when i decided to see her blood.
WTF @ your username.
Reply 4
I wouldnt waste the time applying if i had a criminal record....
Reply 5
rachelb8906
you only have to declare any cautions, offences etc if you are applying for courses which entails work with vulnerable people. courses include, but arent limited to:
Nursing/Midwifery
Teaching
Medicine
Social Work
All NHS funded courses

if you, or whoever you are asking for, are concerned why not email prospective unis and ask what their policies are.

On my UCAS form, I swear you had to disclose if you have a criminal record?
ArcadiaHouse
WTF @ your username.

This :s-smilie:
aliluvschoc
On my UCAS form, I swear you had to disclose if you have a criminal record?

i think you might have to put down any convictions as 'spent', but you dont have to disclose cautions.

I know cos I have a caution
Reply 8
OP, I have one but it didn't seem to stop me.
Without going into too much detail it inviolved cultivation of a class B substance, theft and criminal damage with assault

But they were all 6 months + ago now and I have changed....sort of :p:
Reply 9
RemadE
OP, I have one but it didn't seem to stop me.
Without going into too much detail it inviolved cultivation of a class B substance, theft and criminal damage with assault

But they were all 6 months + ago now and I have changed....sort of :p:

lol thats what they all say :biggrin:
Reply 10
Destroyviruses
Apply and see!I almost got a criminal record for assaault! I only got kicked outa school for it though.My victim knew i was a lil unhinged.We were on good terms when i decided to see her blood.

:s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 11
King4eva
:s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Smile, nod and slowly back away.
Reply 12
AshMcD
Smile, nod and slowly back away.

:biggrin: lool
RemadE
I have one... it inviolved cultivation of a class B substance, theft and criminal damage with assault

But they were all 6 months + ago now and I have changed....sort of

:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Right.....
Reply 14
flugestuge
:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Right.....

Lol, basically all I am saying is the Uni may have a problem with you if you have a conviction or warning, but I went along and spoke with them in person. I have a disability FFS, it's not as if i'm some Al Capone.

Heck, it's something to tell the kids about..I studied law and had the biggest record in the class. Nothing quite lke involving yourself in the subject.
sammy_boy
I wouldnt waste the time applying if i had a criminal record....

Exactly, I agree.

I don't mean to be rude or offend anyone but I really can't see the top unis e.g. Oxbridge, Durham Warwick, Nottingham, Leeds, Edinburgh, Manchester, etc, etc, accpeting anyone who's got a criminal record.
A criminal record won't necessarily mean you won't get into uni. Some courses will make you have a CRB check before you start, but if you have a record it should be looked at and considered on an individual basis.
I don't know what impact it has when applying in reality though, or if it will be used as a factor in declining you, even if unis say they don't do that.
Reply 17
It stops you doing teaching degees, or working with children, disabled adults/children.
~ Mandy
A criminal record won't necessarily mean you won't get into uni.

It might not necessarily mean you won't get into uni but I'm sure the admin tutors at any decent uni would frown upon an applicant with a criminal record. Could you imagine somewhere like Oxbridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester etc, etc taking on someone with a criminal record? No - I don't think so.
Reply 19
T. Hereford
It might not necessarily mean you won't get into uni but I'm sure the admin tutors at any decent uni would frown upon an applicant with a criminal record. Could you imagine somwhere like Oxbridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester etc, etc taking on someone with a criminal record? No - I don't think so.

We don't really need to imagine, when there's a famous example: Stephen Fry went to Cambridge after serving a prison sentence for fraud.