The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Some people feel uncomfortable having lots of people they barely know/talk to seeing everything they do on facebook, hence the delete. They my only have accepted you to be polite.
Reply 81
If I can't think of anything to write on someone's wall other than 'happy birthday! x' on their birthday, they get deleted.
I have friends on my fb, but i choose who i add though. I can add someone i never met in real life because it just means im NETWORKING. like, im applying to some universities over there, and i added some people who go to that specific university/someone i met here in TSR, because i know they can help me or at least guide me. I know they'll be able to help me. Other than that, i don't usually pay attention who deleted me or not. I have like 10 friends from UK who i haven't met in real life, but they are nice to me and they've been helpful. And once i go to uni next year in UK i will definitely meet up with them.

OP, just stop counting your friends in fb.
Reply 83
**** it, I have over 1000 people on my facebook but I'm slowly deleting people I don't even speak to/read their statuses.

I used to think like you OP, but then I got bored of facebook.
I've only deleted people I have no genuine clue who they ended up on my list, who I was stalking to the point of unhealthy and those who anger me every time I see their stupid fa.ces.... so like 20 people, of my 900 friends or whatever

tbh I would delete a lot more if I could be bothered, but I've got a lot of privacy lists as well
Reply 85
Yeah, just looking at this thread has made me cull a few more people in the last few minutes.
I've never broken 100 people on my friend list, and then I realised I was keeping people as my friend for the stupidest reason - "Oh, they were part of a group I used to hang out with, if the others find out they might get mad".
Then I realised I couldn't care less. There's actually one person who I hung out with since junior school and realised she had been a snobby cow throughout school (She was one of those who judged people purely on how well they did in school), and another girl who I've known since reception - but just never talk to anymore.

The only time I've deleted with venom was when someone lied to me and gave my birthday a bit of an upset - I don't want anything to do with them anymore.

And another girl who, despite me telling her MANY times what my work hours are, kept inviting me to events where I could only reply "Working, have fun". And she was constantly making those annoying group inbox messages that you can't escape from. These events were for her friends who had gone on gap years, and she always wanted money off us for a welcome back present.
Erm. No.

Anyways TL;DR I only have people on FB who I see/hear on a semi-regular basis. If I haven't seen them for a year or 2 face-to-face and we don't talk on FB, then what's the point?
I delete people that I don't actually talk to and should not have added in the first place.
I used to have 140 or so including random people from high school. I deleted all those and now I have like 80.
It's not because I dislike them or anything, I just found it odd that people who are basically strangers can look at all my photos and posts on Facebook. I don't see much point putting them on limited profile or whatever if I don't really want them as friends anyway, so I delete them.
Reply 87
Anonymous
t's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.

You're one of these morons who bases people's popularity on the number of Facebook friends aren't you? I delete people if I don't really know them. Just because some girl is the daughter of your dad's best friend is no basis for you to be friends on Facebook. I know people in my social circle who I don't have on Facebook purely because I don't want them knowing my ****.
Reply 88
I tend not to accept people rather than deleting them even if I know of them. I rarely add people (except when I joined 5 years ago). I just think there's no point having someone on facebook who can stalk all your information and photos when they don't even make the effort to talk to you. I have 120 friends on facebook right now, which like 200 friend requests, I don't reject em otherwise they'll keep adding me so it just stays there. If I know someone and they talk to me now and then, I'll gladly accept them. I have deleted people who used to talk to me loads then stopped talking to me - life goes on!
Kt.b
I also didn't want to see a load of fat girls in my year wearing bikinis tbh.

Oh god, this. :sadnod:

My reasons are often that I never speak to them or they are just some random I don't know, and lately it's been because they make annoying, depressing statuses and I don't know them enough to comment on it, they're no real loss to my friends list anyway.

But OP I have also been in your situation, where people who I thought I got on with pretty well deleted me. There's not a lot you can do about it tbh. Just be happy with the friends you have, and if you see the people who deleted you, act really nice so that they will feel guilty about it. :biggrin:
I delete people all the time, it makes me laugh when you see people with 700 facebook friends of whom they actually speak to about 100.

I have my p[rivacy settings done pretty tight so most stuff is for just friends and i do occasionally go on deleting sprees. I go through the list and ask myself "Do i care at all what this person does AND do i want them seeing everything i post up for my friends?" If answer is no then they get deleted.

On one day i deleted my facebook friends from 250 down to 97. I was probably in a bit of a mood that day tbh.:p: It did stop a lot of the random people i used to go to school with 3 years ago coming up on my homepage which was nice.
edd360
People always delete me, and the thing is I have no idea who. My friends list has been averaging about 360 people including new friends added and people who delete me :tongue: I don't really care though, if they don't want me as a friend on fb, I don't want them as one.

Yeah, I don't get hurt by being deleted, but it does make me flippin curious! I've probably accepted about 10 adds over the last few weeks but my friends list is on the same number. Which means the same number of people have deleted me in that time.

I just want to know who! It's impossible to figure it out!
Reply 92
Anonymous
Why is it that on Facebook people always delete each other? Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just why do they do it? It was NEVER like this on Myspace.

I admit that I'm not talking about proper friends, but we all have people on our Facebook "friends list" who we know in real life, see kind of regularly, but are not exactly friends...but why would they still delete you? Isn't that rude?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but maybe once a year I make friends with a random person over Facebook and have really nice conversations with them. There was a guy who I had really nice conversations with for quite a bit like last year, and then I suddenly found out today that he deleted me as well. I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me, because I actually really liked him.

But apart from him, yes it bothers me when people I know in real life delete me. Just because we are not good friends and don't socialize in our spare time doesn't mean it's ok to delete each other...like we still see each other sometimes at school or around the place, etc. My daughter of my dads best friend deleted me too - I have only met her twice, and have had a conversation with her on Facebook once, but that is still quite bad to delete me considering that our dads are best friends. I also know she deleted my friend from her list too (who we both know).

So can you guys tell me what is it about Facebook that leads to people deleting each other? It's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.

If you add me and don't talk to me, obviously I will delete you.
Reply 93
Cull those basement-dwellers.
I delete the weirdos who add me with no mutual friends, and I give them the benefit of the doubt by thinking, 'Well, MAYBE I know them from somewhere else', and then as soon as I see that I don't, it's a hearty goodbye from me.
It's no biggie. I quite often see my friends number decrease by 1, because someone has culled me. Usually people who I met travelling who I haven't spoken to for a couple of years.

I remember getting a friend request from my ex girlfriend who I thought I was friends with on facebook anyway. She must have deleted me. So I added her then about a week later I went to look on her profile and we weren't friends. Then a few months later I got a friend request from her, so I added her again, a while later my friends number decreased by one so I clicked on her profile and sure enough, we weren't friends. She has recently friend requested me again, so I added her, and we're still friends on it. I keep adding her because I wonder whether she wants to see me get in a sulk and not accept her request, but it doesn't bother me. The idea that she is stalking me does amuse me though, every time a girl has a bit of chat with me on my wall she will be inferring all sorts of conclusions as to what the exact nature of our friendship/relationship is!
Reply 96
Anonymous
Why is it that on Facebook people always delete each other? Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just why do they do it? It was NEVER like this on Myspace.

I admit that I'm not talking about proper friends, but we all have people on our Facebook "friends list" who we know in real life, see kind of regularly, but are not exactly friends...but why would they still delete you? Isn't that rude?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but maybe once a year I make friends with a random person over Facebook and have really nice conversations with them. There was a guy who I had really nice conversations with for quite a bit like last year, and then I suddenly found out today that he deleted me as well. I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me, because I actually really liked him.

But apart from him, yes it bothers me when people I know in real life delete me. Just because we are not good friends and don't socialize in our spare time doesn't mean it's ok to delete each other...like we still see each other sometimes at school or around the place, etc. My daughter of my dads best friend deleted me too - I have only met her twice, and have had a conversation with her on Facebook once, but that is still quite bad to delete me considering that our dads are best friends. I also know she deleted my friend from her list too (who we both know).

So can you guys tell me what is it about Facebook that leads to people deleting each other? It's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.

There you go (in bold).

I do delete people fairly often who I never speak to. Like someone I knew from school... I don't go to my primary school any more, and I almost certainly will never see this person in real life. If I did, I may say hi and wave if I recognised them. I haven't spoken to them on facebook since they added me, and neither have they spoken to me. And I don't have them on my news feed because I only have my very closest friends on there, or people who are really interesting :P.

So really what is the point of having them on there?

Not to mention the fact that I don't really know them but they have access to all of my personal information, which is restricted to just friends.

And I did the same with myspace too, I think... I can't really remember tbh.

Please don't take it personally when these people do this, they are just watching out for their online information and clearing their friends list. If they don't speak to you/vice versa it makes perfect sense.
Big who cares?

I can't be arsed to waste time deleting ppeople, I find it ludicrous that people have enough spare time in their lives to spend sorting out who is a friend on a social networking site.
Kt.b
I deleted people because I was never going to see them again and it felt rather stalkerish to be seeing all their status updates when I had a very vague recollection of them. I also didn't want to see a load of fat girls in my year wearing bikinis tbh.

I agree
I like reading my news feed and if people I've met once constantly fill it with crap and farmville I delete them.

Latest

Trending

Trending