The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
I feel like I'm invading by posting here, but I have a quick question.

How important is it getting the most up-to-date edition? Is getting an edition behind, if it's a lot cheaper, common? I understand it may be more important for clinical textbooks rather than science ones.

rarely does it make a difference in science ones.
In clinical ones however guidelines can change quite a lot between issues.
Reply 121
Original post by Jamie
rarely does it make a difference in science ones.
In clinical ones however guidelines can change quite a lot between issues.

Thanks much appreciated!
Reply 122
Original post by Sakujo
Thanks for these reviews digitalis. How much detail do these anatomy colouring books go into? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0805350861

I'm not convinced by these, others swear by them. I would say that their aim is to make things easier to remember as you are actively doing something (colouring) as you try to memorise where the structures are, but definitely not useful on their own. Need to supplement with Gray's/Grants etc.
Reply 123
Original post by digitalis
I'm not convinced by these, others swear by them. I would say that their aim is to make things easier to remember as you are actively doing something (colouring) as you try to memorise where the structures are, but definitely not useful on their own. Need to supplement with Gray's/Grants etc.

Cheers:smile:
Reply 124
Any opinions on :
Basic Pathology - Robbins , Contran , Kumar
Basis of Pathology - Robbins, Contran , Kumar

Which do you find 'better' ?
Reply 125
Original post by iq101
Any opinions on :
Basic Pathology - Robbins , Contran , Kumar
Basis of Pathology - Robbins, Contran , Kumar

Which do you find 'better' ?

Depends whether you're looking for lots of detail or not.

If you're a detail person, Pathologic Basis of Disease will be better for you. If you're not, Basic Pathology will be better.
Reply 126
Berne and Levy :love:
Reply 127
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
I feel like I'm invading by posting here, but I have a quick question.

How important is it getting the most up-to-date edition? Is getting an edition behind, if it's a lot cheaper, common? I understand it may be more important for clinical textbooks rather than science ones.

A professor I knew said as a basic rule of thumb that if the book was post-Marshall and Warren then it was probably still viable! :smile: Slightly flippant, but probably a fair amount of truth to it.
Reply 128
just thought i'd pop by and recommend neuroanatomy through clinical cases by blumenfeld

cost a lot (£50) but worth it imo

soz to hijack digitalis :bigsmile:
Does anyone know if the Patton Anatomy and Physiology book is any good, this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Physiology-Kevin-Patton-PhD/dp/032305532X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292844423&sr=8-1
Its on our essential list (for dentistry though) but does anyone know if it goes into enough detail etc before I buy it?
Okay, I've got £15 to spend on a certain website, and have identified this book. Thoughts on it?
Hi every one
i am new to this forum, and i have a very imp. detailed research in General surgery nowadays about" liver Trauma if anyone can help with online resources, I really appreciate your help :smile:
I hope that i posted in the right forum :tongue:
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Okay, I've got £15 to spend on a certain website, and have identified this book. Thoughts on it?

Personally, I would choose Flash Cards over Coloring but yes Netter's the best out there for me !
Reply 133
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

I bought it to supplement my flash cards and my various anatomy textbooks, i think i coloured in one page before i gave it to one of my friends. It really depends on how you learn, if your a kinesthetic learner go for it. It's really basic and not highly detailed with little info on form on function. I personally prefer Netter's flash cards (as it has details on origin, insertion, etc) + a book like Gray's Anatomy for students 2nd ed. or Clinically Orientated Anatomy by Moore and Dalley.
Quick question,

where do you people buy books? Is there anywhere you recommend?

Also do you actually feel the need ot buy?

In my undergrad I bought 3/4 books and really only used 1 and just used the library for the rest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 135
I've heard a lot about the flash cards, which one do you think is better, netters or grays?
Original post by Dilzone
I've heard a lot about the flash cards, which one do you think is better, netters or grays?

There's a recent discussion here. However, wait til you get to uni before buying anything. No point buying flash cards if you discover that you learn anatomy best from other methods.
Reply 137
Original post by Becca-Sarah
There's a recent discussion here. However, wait til you get to uni before buying anything. No point buying flash cards if you discover that you learn anatomy best from other methods.

As much as i'd love to buys loads of books now, i'm going to control myself. Especially as all of these books cost upwards of £30 each, i wouldn't want to buy something and never use it or feel obliged to use it even if i don't like it.

Also, where are some good places to get these textbooks? I've found a few good places online, but are there any bookshops around that sell them cheaper or sell second hand ones? And how do older students usually sell their unwanted textbooks? Thanks!
Original post by Dilzone
As much as i'd love to buys loads of books now, i'm going to control myself. Especially as all of these books cost upwards of £30 each, i wouldn't want to buy something and never use it or feel obliged to use it even if i don't like it.

Also, where are some good places to get these textbooks? I've found a few good places online, but are there any bookshops around that sell them cheaper or sell second hand ones? And how do older students usually sell their unwanted textbooks? Thanks!

There'll be better places in London, I imagine, than I'm able to recommend. As for older students, usually through the medical school - via notice board, or student email, etc. Amazon often have some decent priced second hand or 'almost new' textbooks. Don't go too second hand else your information will be out of date - I have a lovely copy of Davidsons, but I'm fairly sure we don't use leeches for bloodletting anymore. For new books, compare Amazon to medicprint.com - sometimes the discount is worth having to pay a small amount of postage.
Oxford Handbook of Medical Sciences

A couple months back I came across this little gem in the library, and IMO I love this little book. It covers anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and some pathology in a clear and concise way. I don't know what it is about the Oxford Handbooks, but they are arranged in a lovely way that is enjoyable to read and easy to flick through and find what you want.
Although, nearly all the diagrams are grayscale and a lot of the pages seem to be blocks of text, the diagrams themselves are again nice and concise, and the text is broken up under clear headings and subtitles so you're never taking in too much info at once.
Currently in the middle of my locomotor module and it's great for quick reference, getting a decent understanding of the structures and their names/functions etc..
It's an Oxford Handbook, a brand you can trust. This book has references to the OH Clinical Medicine, and used in conjunction with each other you can really nail PBLs and gain a good understanding of the normal physiology ---> pathology and treatment.

Most importantly, the cover colour scheme is AWESOME :tongue:

I'd like to give this one a provisional 9/10, as I haven't used it in full and it's still early days in the course, but I enjoy using it and will update in the future whether it has held up.

I'd be nice for another review if anyone else uses it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending