The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Are you 1 year old?

That's a stupid question....

Seriously...

But, on topic, you do look like a 1 year old in your avatar. LOL.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

That's a stupid question....

Seriously...

But, on topic, you do look like a 1 year old in your avatar. LOL.

The Square root of -1 is 1 so I thought he was 1 year old.
Original post by Sagacious
The majority of people on benefits abuse the system. Yes, I bet 85% are 'Benefit Abusers'..

*******s. If you're going to make a point then don't start it with a sentence like that which is just completely made up, it makes the rest of your point which you've based on this assumption invalid.

Seriously, if you get out into the real world you'll realise a hell of a lot of people have to be on benefits and others feel ashamed to be on it. I'm not pretending there aren't those that don't abuse the system, but it's very much a minority.

Moaning about benefit scroungers is just a way for the super-rich to make us forget about the fact that quite a few of them avoid taxes and owe billions of pounds to the government, a hell of a lot more than the benefit scroungers take off the government.
The Square root of -1 is 1 so I thought he was 1 year old.

The square root of -1 is imaginary, as it's not possible. But that's not for this thread...

Edit: yes I know I was wrong to say it's impossible but it was 5am and I didn't really give much thought to it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
There are jobs, if you look hard enough. I don't care what anyone says. James Caan agrees with me.

Also, set up your own business? Who says you need a job? Seriously, the British are so narrow minded and quit at the first hurdle. You can even work from home; via internet and this would mean you could look after the child too. But no! Us stupid Brits would rather moan and cry about not being able to find a job. Idiots!

Ah, yes. Clearly the job shortage brought about by the western economic crisis was an illusion brought about by millions upon millions of citizens world wide simultaneously and completely coincidentally realising that they were all lazy all along. I mean, it's not like that's statistically impossible or anything.

You're completely bang on, these lazy twits should be setting up businesses. I mean, even if they're out of work and have an income of £0 a week, if they just saved up for twelve weeks, well 12x0 = £0 pounds! That should be more than enough to buy the property, equipment and stock needed to open a little chippie.
Reply 65
Original post by Craiky1506
The square root of -1 is imaginary, as it's not possible. But that's not for this thread...

Not as far as the observable universe is concerned, but like you said...
Reply 66
But bussiness requires Exceptional Intelligence people on benefits do not have exceptional intelligence

No. Business require common sense.
Original post by Craiky1506

Craiky, the Hicks building has just shuddered in its foundations at that contradiction in terms...

Given that the SQR of -1 is indeed i, the imaginary unit, then it is most certainly possible to have the SQR -1 !!!!!

tsk,tsk

imaginary does not mean impossible!!
Reply 68

Put it this way....

Amount of money gained from welfare system = 100 pound per week
Working full-time 35 hours p/w, spending no time with their kids, not being able to feed one of them, and damaging your health for **** pay... = £80...

You need to report what ever employer is paying you £80 a week for that number of hours. Even on minimum wage, you'd be getting over £200.
"Get off benefits, earn some real money"
"Get a real job"
" Lazy people who sponge of the government"

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of people making these ridiculous statements about people on the welfare system. Do you think it's as easy as that...?

My mum has to apply for new jobs everyday, and show proof that she's done it, she has to attend pointless meetings, and if she doesn't she loses money....

My mum has had the opportunity to work several time but it doesn't make sense!

2 kids, one of which is 13 and needs full-time support, can we agree that a 13 year old needs a mum there before she goes to school and when she comes back....? Yes we can.....

Put it this way....

Working full-time 35 hours p/w, spending no time with their kids, not being able to feed one of them, and damaging your health for **** pay... = £80...

If she went to work she'd earn less and sacrifice one of her children, I don't think so...

Yes, fair enough if you're a single person/mum/dad or whatever, but don't generalize everyone on the system....

EDIT - Those figures used aren't real, in other words I'm saying she'd earn less working whilst making stupid compromises..

No-one has a problem with people who really cannot get a job who get benefits. People have a problem with those who can't be bothered to work, and don't care about society.
Original post by Cybele
You need to report what ever employer is paying you £80 a week for that number of hours. Even on minimum wage, you'd be getting over £200.

As said in OP, figures are used as examples, not accurate lol

LMAO

£80.... that's nothing. Some people make more than that trappin
I hope the present administration deals with these people

2 kids, one of which is 13 and needs full-time support, can we agree that a 13 year old needs a mum there before she goes to school and when she comes back....? Yes we can.....

Why? I was coming home to an empty house long before that. Why does a 13 year old need a mum there when she comes back from school? Anyway I agree that there are genuine cases out there but sadly, the ones who don't really need it ruin it for the people who actually need the help.
Original post by LipstickKisses
Why? I was coming home to an empty house long before that. Why does a 13 year old need a mum there when she comes back from school? Anyway I agree that there are genuine cases out there but sadly, the ones who don't really need it ruin it for the people who actually need the help.

Let me think of a situation....

Yearly wage £40,000....

You either work full-time to make that money....

or

Someone dies, and you get that money for doing nothing....

Bare in mind you don't hear/see/know the person dying..... and you don't know when they die, all you know is that someone will die because of you...

You'd pick option two am I correct?
Let me think of a situation....

Yearly wage £40,000....

You either work full-time to make that money....

or

Someone dies, and you get that money for doing nothing....

Bare in mind you don't hear/see/know the person dying..... and you don't know when they die, all you know is that someone will die because of you...

You'd pick option two am I correct?

What relevance is that? And no I'd pick option one because I value hard work. But that didn't answer my question about the 13 year old. :confused:
Reply 75

Well I can't say that I know what your situation is in any detail, so I'm not going to make a judgement. Needless to say, the system is there for a reason, and whilst it is abused, it reeks of class priveledge to assume that everyone on the system is there because they're lazy. A lot of unskilled jobs can be very unstable.

Just regarding the point I have highlighted, speaking from experience, I don't agree that it's necessary, unless the 13 year old has a disability of some sort.

Certainly making breakfast and getting the bus should be easy for any able bodied 13 year old. Many times at school I would come home to an empty house. It isn't ideal, but it's workable.
not everyone is lazy/stupid..
some people actually cannot work. they rely on the system to live and feed.
this world is completely APATHETIC.
somebody abused the word, generalisation
"Get off benefits, earn some real money"
"Get a real job"
" Lazy people who sponge of the government"

Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of people making these ridiculous statements about people on the welfare system. Do you think it's as easy as that...?

My mum has to apply for new jobs everyday, and show proof that she's done it, she has to attend pointless meetings, and if she doesn't she loses money....

My mum has had the opportunity to work several time but it doesn't make sense!

Put it this way....

If she went to work she'd earn less and sacrifice one of her children, I don't think so...

Yes, fair enough if you're a single person/mum/dad or whatever, but don't generalize everyone on the system....

EDIT - Those figures used aren't real, in other words I'm saying she'd earn less working whilst making stupid compromises..

first time i agreed with you
There is a benefit culture in this country. Something needs to be done about it,but the solution is far more complicated than just labelling all those claiming benefits scroungers. And unfortunately those who through no fault of their own find themselves unemployed are lumped in with the bad back brigade and dossers.

I would also suggest, that previous governments (And I don't see much real change from this one, just big talk) are partly to blame for the benefit culture along with the laziness of some benefit claimants. Because there have been scams to massage unemployment figures which have allowed this situation to come about.

The problem, is complicated because it is a vicious circle which to change means acknowledging several issues which politicans don't like to talk about. One is immigration. The policies of mass immigration of unskilled and low skilled people has meant extreme competition for jobs at the low end of the jobs market . Employers want good workers and want to pay them as little as they can get away with. It's all very well the middle classes talking about their taxpayers money going on dole wallahs,but it isn't their or their families job prospects that have been affected by it.

The other issue is cost of living. Do you know, even many working and middle class people cannot hold their heads about water without claiming some form of government benefit. Ask how many middle class people claim disability living allowance? Even david cameron claimed it,for his late son. And really in my opinion, everyone should be better off working, and no one should have to claim off the government for tax credits to survive. Either wages are no high enough or cost of food, utilities ,council tax, rent is too high. Why is it in these hard times, there are green taxes on our gas and electric?

The third and final issue is a social one. generations of families have never worked. I do believe it will take strong social policies to change it and induce a real work ethic. I think stopping the welfare culture is important because it in my opinion isn't healthy for a society for many people don't work. I also don't think it is healthy for individuals self esstem and respect. It doesn cause an underclass to develop and anger in the working classes. A them and us attitude.

Until we have a strong government who are prepared to tackle those three issues, and probably be extremely unpopular at all levels of society.Are prepared to be brave and endure the criticism that they are racist or have fascist ideal to want to use social enginneering to deal with a large group in society who have never worked. Nothing will change. And in my opinion, simply insulting those claiming benefits ,a government pretending to talk tough is not the answer.
The things is, not everyone is like your mum. The majority of people on benefits abuse the system. Yes, I bet 85% are 'Benefit Abusers'.

I personally think we should take the benefits off these 85% and use the money on Science/Paying off debts.

A good example of 'Benefit Abusers' was when EMA was around. People would go into college just to collect EMA (If you needed 60% attendance, people would work out that once they've done 60%, they can have a few weeks off). Also, EMA should have been used for educational purposes, instead the stupid Chavs went into town and bought junk that they don't need.

The only people who should get benefits;

Disabled people who are unable to work.
Single mothers who have to raise children under the age of 10. (Usually the mothers are stupid, but the child shouldn't suffer).

It would make this country work hard again. It's not that long ago that we was a world leading country. Now we're lazy and stupid; China aren't.

lol..

Your argument is so fundamentally flawed I can't be bothered to rip it apart. But we were only a 'world leading country' because of the empire, exploitation and the plundering of resources particularly in India fuelled our prosperity, we were actually punching well above our weight in the 20th century. And China exploit their own workers. Learn some history and then get back to me :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest