The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Becca-Sarah
So either pick Scottish unis, or take a gap year. Or, decide that drinking during freshers does not make or break your uni social life...

haha.. right
Oi, who got the new highest UKCAT on the poll? I was winning! :getmecoat:
Reply 102
Original post by KCosmo
Thanks Becca-Sarah, they are indeed very clear! :tongue:

I'm applying if my UKCAT is too low for Glasgow. My only hesitation is that last year (my 6th year) I had to go into hospital for about a month and missed all of my exams. I've got all the doctor's notes etc. so that part is cool, but by the time I was back up and running all of the places for Advanced Higher Chemistry had been taken up at the only college that does it remotely near me, so I'm doing Higher Psychology instead (along with Advanced Higher Music and Higher Human Biology.) When I emailed the universities about doing psychology instead, all of the Scottish ones said it would make no difference, apart from Aberdeen who said that I would be marked lower for only doing one Advanced Higher :/

Otherwise my academic stuff is alright (eight 1's in standard grade and 5 A's in higher, and grade 8 bass (would that count?)) but if I can get a good UKCAT (last year I got 580 :O) then hopefully this won't matter! (I do like Aberdeen, I just want to have the best chance of getting in to medicine, especially after 4 rejections last year :tongue:)

Good luck; I'm sure your bass would count for something. You shouldn't be marked much lower if you supply them with proof of extenuating circumstances. Have you been to Aberdeen before? What's it like, apart from cold?
Also, digressing, how old are you, and how old are Scottish students when they do their Advanced Highers?
Original post by UKDOG
How many people start the first year under 18 at Scottish medical schools, or just Aberdeen, in general?
A reasonable number - see below for age range of Scottish school leavers who would be going to study Medicine straight from school.

Original post by franynli
true :\
but the annoying thing is that i turn 18 like 2/3 months after :mad:

You can still enjoy Freshers and most people don't meet through clubbing but halls/clubs/societies/the course.

UKDOG
Also, digressing, how old are you, and how old are Scottish students when they do their Advanced Highers?

The age range of a Scottish leaver leaving after the last possible year is: 17 and a half (birthdays in Jan/Feb) to 18 and a half (birthdays in Jan/Feb the previous year - ie parents chose that they started school at 5 instead of 4). So people born in October/November/December/January/February who have come straight from school will mostly be underage.
Reply 104
Original post by franynli
no way could i do Dundee D: my UKCAT isn't high enough! :frown:
how hard was the interview and what type of questions do they pose to you?

My UKCAT score last year was 612 (and I didn't have 5 A's) and I still got an interview there. I think it would still be worth applying.
Reply 105
Original post by UKDOG
Good luck; I'm sure your bass would count for something. You shouldn't be marked much lower if you supply them with proof of extenuating circumstances. Have you been to Aberdeen before? What's it like, apart from cold?

Normally we do Advanced highers when we're 17 going on 18, I'm 18 going on 19 since I effectively missed out a year with illness. Only been to Aberdeen once or twice, and not into the city centre so I can't really make a good judgement on it, from what I saw it was pretty nice though!
I think I'm applying! The only hesitation that I have is that it's so far away :frown:
Original post by BlissJunkie
I think I'm applying! The only hesitation that I have is that it's so far away :frown:

The airport has connections to lots of places though, and Aberdeen has good train links to other cities. I lived 8 hours away and barely noticed the distance whilst I was there.
The airport has connections to lots of places though, and Aberdeen has good train links to other cities. I lived 8 hours away and barely noticed the distance whilst I was there.

Hm, that's true. Thanks for the reassurance :biggrin: What would you guess the student ratio for Scottish to anywhere else be?
Original post by BlissJunkie
Hm, that's true. Thanks for the reassurance :biggrin: What would you guess the student ratio for Scottish to anywhere else be?

I don't know the exact ratio. I do know that there are lots of Scottish students there, but this is due to it's location not a prejudice against non-Scots. There were people from Canada, Poland, Malaysia, Singapore, Sweden, etc in my year, to show the range of internationals/EU students we get.
Reply 110
Do you know how many applications there are for the course every year?
Reply 111
Original post by Mimidu
Do you know how many applications there are for the course every year?

Have a look at this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios
Reply 112
Aberdeen is cool, my top choice along with Glasgow.
Original post by Anterior view
Some of this as it states is well out of date Dundee had 1700 applicants for 154 places that's about 11/ 1

Aberdeen was 11/1 for 2010 entry.
Does it not say in the link what year each ratio is taken from?! I.e its clear some of the info is old.

It shows 13.7 applicants to place and 8 to offer for 2011 entry to Aberdeen -which may sound quite high but that doesn't mean its not worth applying, I mean look at Keele it has 23.1 applicants a place!
First and second year students returned to uni this week :smile: It's amazing to think that it has been only a year since we started! Hopefully the new intake are enjoying themselves, the adoption party is this Friday which will result in many a sore head I am sure.

We are starting our Systems 2 course with GI which is already proving to be really interesting. Our clinical communication tutorials now have fewer students, an example of how feedback from the year above does influence the way we are taught.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
First and second year students returned to uni this week :smile: It's amazing to think that it has been only a year since we started! Hopefully the new intake are enjoying themselves, the adoption party is this Friday which will result in many a sore head I am sure.

We are starting our Systems 2 course with GI which is already proving to be really interesting. Our clinical communication tutorials now have fewer students, an example of how feedback from the year above does influence the way we are taught.

:eek: And a new printer system and a new library?! Am I even going to recognise the place when I get back there?
:eek: And a new printer system and a new library?! Am I even going to recognise the place when I get back there?

They were waiting for you to leave :tongue:

I'm applying to Aberdeen and was wondering, why did you choose to study there?
Did you get offers from other universities?
Aberdeen is the only open day I haven't managed to attend so I would be grateful if you could tell me what you like/dislike about the curriculum.

Thank you in advance!
They were waiting for you to leave :tongue:

They have clearly not factored in that I have to return at some point (though if they would like to tear down that thing that looks like a zebra **** a glass brick and return my beloved QML, I'd be more than pleased).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending