The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Hi,
I am currently studying A levels in maths,chemistry, physics and biology and would like to study pharmacologyy or immunolgy at university. I was thinking of doin the extended project on "The effect of global warming on disease" but wasn't sure if this was too broad and if so what experiment could I do relevant to this?
Thanks for any help :biggrin:
Original post by ~ACJ~
Hi,
I am currently studying A levels in maths,chemistry, physics and biology and would like to study pharmacologyy or immunolgy at university. I was thinking of doin the extended project on "The effect of global warming on disease" but wasn't sure if this was too broad and if so what experiment could I do relevant to this?
It is slightly to broad, what specific diseases?
For you project you could try and contact processors in the relevant field at your local university. Try searching on the internet if there is currently reserach going on as we speak trying to find out if there is a link. Whatever you chose make sure you can write 1000/5000 word essay on the topic
Reply 2622
I was thinking maybe malaria, but I wasnt sure if I could write lots about it, thats why I was trying to make it more broad... And thanks that sounds like a good idea to contact uni's :biggrin:
Reply 2623
Original post by translucent
It is slightly to broad, what specific diseases?
For you project you could try and contact processors in the relevant field at your local university. Try searching on the internet if there is currently reserach going on as we speak trying to find out if there is a link. Whatever you chose make sure you can write 1000/5000 word essay on the topic

Also have u got any idea's on how to make it broader? Or any other extended projects subjects I could do that I could involve a science experiment with?
Many thanks :biggrin:
Original post by ~ACJ~
Hi,

^5
I'm doing mine (loosely) on Global warming too

It's nice to have such a popular and current topic
Reply 2625
really really really need help.
if i make a poster what level of detail should it be in?
also i understand that if you make a poster you have to give in a 1000 word essay, so what has to be on that?
Reply 2626
Original post by Silverland
^5
I'm doing mine (loosely) on Global warming too

It's nice to have such a popular and current topic

What is the title of urs then??? And I thought it was gud to do it on a current topic too but as I want to study pharmacology I wasn't sure whether it was relevant?!?!? :smile:
Well I want to study Natural sciences myself, in particular chemsitry, but I'm hoping mine should be a talking point for an interview

"To what extent is CCS (Carbon capture and sequestration) a feasible and effective method of carbon abatement in China relative to Hydroelectric power, whilst still meeting China's growing energy demands."
Original post by Messara2
really really really need help.
if i make a poster what level of detail should it be in?
also i understand that if you make a poster you have to give in a 1000 word essay, so what has to be on that?

A poster itself might not be enough to get high marks-perhaps create a portfolio, where in it you have brainstorm ideas-draw different ideas. Create pages that have pictures you could use, then pages on fonts and label what effect this has. the 1000 words is the research you did and why you chose the fonts/pictures etc. you did. It's like the 5000 word essay, just condensed-you still need referencing.
If you're thinking of applying to a competitive course would it help that you're doing something related to the course or is it too generic? Would it just be a safer bet to do something you'd enjoy writing about?
Reply 2630
Original post by Silverland
Well I want to study Natural sciences myself, in particular chemsitry, but I'm hoping mine should be a talking point for an interview

"To what extent is CCS (Carbon capture and sequestration) a feasible and effective method of carbon abatement in China relative to Hydroelectric power, whilst still meeting China's growing energy demands."

Thats what I was hoping my extended project would be to for interviews at uni and God that sounds good, any ideas for perhaps pharmacology based question cos Im still not sure if the idea earlier would be relatable to pharmacology :biggrin:
Original post by ~ACJ~
Thats what I was hoping my extended project would be to for interviews at uni and God that sounds good, any ideas for perhaps pharmacology based question cos Im still not sure if the idea earlier would be relatable to pharmacology :biggrin:

You could always do something along the lines of 'how has pharmacy developed over the ages?'
One girl did something on how nursing has developed over the ages from the 1500's or even later, and in her presentation she disapeared and came back dressed in the outfit that the nurses would have worn, which was pretty cute! :tongue:
Original post by HeavyTeddy
If you're thinking of applying to a competitive course would it help that you're doing something related to the course or is it too generic? Would it just be a safer bet to do something you'd enjoy writing about?

Uni's tend to like it if the project title has something to do with the cause you're picking, but you'd definately want it to be on something you enjoy. We spent months thinking about which topic we'd choose, but it's so at the half way through you won't want to change the title. Hopefully you can find something you enjoy and want to do as a course later.
eg. I'm interested in mental health problems and want to be a phychologist, so I'm doing mine on Bipolar. I enjoy and it should be usefull in interviews(:
Original post by ~ACJ~

Well I remember one person in the year above me wanted to be a dentist and she looked at a lot of the big issues in dentistry and the possible future of dentistry in relation to these issues.

with pharmacology I guess there are a lot of ethical issues as well as scientific.
The NHS could be a good place to start (since pharmacology itself may have a little less to talk about, but the NHS is still important enough to be relevant in an interview I would think) as there is a lot of debate over the future and usage of it and many ethical issues which could be tapped into in an EPQ to show some good evaluation.

I mean any arguments about drug usage could work too. Perhaps an interesting title would be "Can any substance truly be a poison" and argue along the lines that anything in excess is dangerous and tie in the Paracelcus principle.

Then there are case studies like Thalidomide or DDT in which could argue the extent to which drugs are tested, at what point do they become safe and perhaps briefly touch upon animal testing ethics, which is an issue in itself as regards to drug development.

Pharmacology is a growing business and one of the few the UK seems to be doing quite well in. I'm sure with good enough research you should have a very fine project on your hands.

http://voices.yahoo.com/current-issues-pharmacology-1279393.html
Reply 2634
Thank you that sounds really interesting talking about if all drugs are poisons cos I coud tie in all current issues like paracetamol :biggrin: But also talking about drug testing would be really interesting too so thanks for all your ideas cos I may have to use them.... :biggrin:
Reply 2635
Original post by Little Miss Crazy
You could always do something along the lines of 'how has pharmacy developed over the ages?'
One girl did something on how nursing has developed over the ages from the 1500's or even later, and in her presentation she disapeared and came back dressed in the outfit that the nurses would have worn, which was pretty cute! :tongue:

Thanks that sounds interesting too and would show I have alot of background knowledge surrounding pharmacology :biggrin:
I've been reading "The poison paradox" by John Timbrell.
A great pharmacology book with some excellent case study information (from thalidomide to paracetamol and alcohol and then to more conventional killer substances like Arsenic and Cyanide) explanations on how poisons work. A bit more on the toxicology side, but still great at detailing how certain substances react with the body and become poisonous (I found the parts on anti-freeze particularly interesting) and provides some nice insight into chemical-body reactions of pharmacology.
Reply 2637
Would be very very grateful if anyone could answer a dead quick survey for me on my epq topic, deadline thursday :redface:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG1YMkc4eGVwaTdZNWpOMTFtZ1B5Z0E6MQ
Thanks so much!
Original post by ~ACJ~
Also have u got any idea's on how to make it broader? Or any other extended projects subjects I could do that I could involve a science experiment with?
Many thanks :biggrin:

The malaria idea is good, there's lots to talk about.... new research/ why malaria is more prevalent in some countries over others (due to lack of hospitals etc)...
Or if you're still finding it hard to write a 1000 about it, do malaria/HIV and AIDS is well.
How many sources has everyone used on their essay project?

I've used 22 in the 5000 word total. Is this enough, or does it even matter how many I use anyway? :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending