The Student Room Group

Try out the new **iPhone, iPad or Android** TSR App

Hey guys

As Easter is a time to think about new life, we're happy to announce the birth of the new TSR App as an Easter present for you.

Along with ChrisN (previously known as CN), we've been busy working on getting a TSR App up and running over the last few weeks. We're now ready with a first release of the app to use on live TSR.

The TSR testing team and Moderation team have already been testing the app for the past few days and whilst there are still a few issues, we're wanting to push the app out to more people to use. So please also encourage other people to give it a go too!

Below is a message from ChrisN about how to get the app and what bugs are known about.

Please use this thread to give us your feedback and report issues.

TSRSo the big moment is here... :smile:

EDIT: v1.1 of our Android App is now in Google Play . :biggrin:

Apple Lovers: the iPhone and iPad versions are now available in the App Store :smile:

Lovely reviews make us happy, and bring great rewards in future lives :biggrin:

Enjoy :smile:

Here's the current bug/feature enhancement status:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just downloaded the app and have been playing around with it. So far I like it - it loads a lot quicker than accessing the site via my internet app. I'll let you know if I spot any bugs.
Reply 2
That awesome moment when an app is released on Google Play before the App Store. :smug:
I've updated the status of fixes in first post.

Also FYI we expect to have the first draft of the iPhone App for internal testing by the end of next week too. There will be some rounds of fixes and then a week to get it published, so it's a little way off wider release yet, but thought you'd want to know it was making good progress :smile:

We are also planning to push the Android app into Google Play very soon too - hopefully early next week. Exciting stuff!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mazzini
That awesome moment when an app is released on Google Play before the App Store. :smug:

:awesome:

Subscribing to keep up with messages here
Reply 5
Original post by ChrisN

Also FYI we expect to have the first draft of the iPhone App for internal testing by the end of next week too.

Any chance of an iPad app? :tongue:
Original post by Akiraryuu
Any chance of an iPad app? :tongue:

Yes indeedy. That will be next. Not too many weeks away :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ChrisN
Yes indeedy. That will be next. Not too many weeks away :smile:

Whoop whoop! Can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I can't connect to that apkinstall website :frown:
Reply 9
If anyone else can't get onto the apkinstall website, download the .apk file from this thread, then email it to yourself. Then download Apk Installer from Google Play onto your phone (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.graphilos.apkinst&hl=en). Then just open/install the email attachment on your phone, and it should install.
Reply 10
Erm...have you made a TSR app that doesn't let you see who's quoted you?
Original post by tufc
Erm...have you made a TSR app that doesn't let you see who's quoted you?

You need to look at the spoilered section of the first post in the 'Priority 2 - Large' section for what's happening with WQM :wink:

The app is not built from scratch, but based on the Tapatalk app with customisations made to work with TSR and it's many customisations. As the 'WQM' widget is mostly custom code for TSR it's not a part of the app by default. But it's high up the list as one of the most important parts of the site we'd like to see included if possible :biggrin:

The route we're taking with the app is to keep things simple and get a working version out there. Then we can start adding in other key things as and when it's possible and based around how people want to use the app. No doubt WQM will be something people really want to see in there soon, so hopefully we'll be able to make that happen.
Reply 12
Original post by RK
You need to look at the spoilered section of the first post in the 'Priority 2 - Large' section for what's happening with WQM :wink:

The app is not built from scratch, but based on the Tapatalk app with customisations made to work with TSR and it's many customisations. As the 'WQM' widget is mostly custom code for TSR it's not a part of the app by default. But it's high up the list as one of the most important parts of the site we'd like to see included if possible :biggrin:

The route we're taking with the app is to keep things simple and get a working version out there. Then we can start adding in other key things as and when it's possible and based around how people want to use the app. No doubt WQM will be something people really want to see in there soon, so hopefully we'll be able to make that happen.

Would it not be possible to make it so that the TSR website can detect when it's opened by an Android device (it is possible :P), so that people can click on the buttons in WQM, and be given the option of whether they'd like to open it with Browser or TSR? Just a suggestion :smile:
Right maybe I'm being a technology fail but my QR reader refuses to scan that barcode...
Reply 14
Hey -

tried this app and its great - i have noticed however it crashes everytime I try to read my Private messages I get.

Odd thing is it was working fine before but seems to crash.

I noticed this yesterday when I installed it but havnt tried it today but thought I would give this feedback!
Super excited for the iphone version! Thanks guys!
Reply 16
Found a bug - on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1966361 the app shows latex equations as the :smile: smiley. I understand it would probably take time to get them to render properly but in the meantime perhaps it would be better to just show the raw code?
I can't connect to that apkinstall website:mad:
Reply 18
Original post by Ignativs2012
I can't connect to that apkinstall website:mad:

I used tufc's method to install it in post 10.
Subscribing to hear for news on the iPhone version!

Quick Reply