The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out/starting over...advice and opinions please!

Well, TSR, it's been a while. But I trust you'll be as helpful as ever.

I'm currently a second year student at UCL doing Ancient World Studies. I enjoy some of my courses. Others not so much. I never really made any friends at UCL and this year I couldn't even afford to live in London. For my whole first year I was missing my boyfriend and my family. Every weekend I would either visit him or home. Then in April I had an operation on my eye and couldn't do exams, couldn't move back to London etc. and I had to do my exams in August. I didn't really do that well. But then term started again in September and I loved all my courses and did pretty well with my coursework (I got a 68, a 70, a 72 etc). This is because by this point I knew i'd picked the wrong course. I should've done archaeology. So I was doing as many archaeology units as I could possibly do. However, then the personal problems started. As I said, I couldn't afford London and I was commuting from home (so I had no social life). Me and my boyfriend were seeing each other less and less. Some problems at home led to depression and my anxiety about everything, including work, became completely unmanageable. I was a wreck. I got behind on work. I tried getting help but the student counselling services are so terrible. I actually am still waiting for my appointment. I broke up with my boyfriend of 3.5 years. I am still very behind on my coursework-I have 6 pieces to do. I never really officially got any extensions so I might get a 0 on them all. I've basically ****ed up everything. And I have exams soon. Sigh. Anyway, I'm now starting to consider my options. I don't actually know if I can pass this year/do the work. I don't know if I want to. UCL is an amazing university and I am pleased I go there, but maybe I shouldn't base my choice of university on what employers might think. Basically I'm considering quitting, and starting over. Maybe with archaeology, but maybe with a language degree (which is what I always wanted to do but didn't because at the time I didn't want to be apart from my boyfriend for a year (moral of the story: NEVER EVER BASE LIFE DECISIONS ON A BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND! SUCH A BAD IDEA!) I always wanted to go to ULIP (The University of London Institute in Paris) but I'm not sure if it's that good a university? Also the idea of starting over really scares me. Especially with the new fees. And I'm wary of wanting to go to ULIP as I know it's in part due to the fact that I'm seeing someone new and he lives in Paris. Currently, this is my plan: try to finish coursework (might not happen), try to do well in exams (definitely won't happen), take an interruption and go live in France/Paris for a year/travel, go back to UCL and finish this god damned degree. I'm just not sure if that's what I want as I've really messed things up here.

tl;dr? Basically I messed up my first year of Ancient World studies at UCL due to an operation, my second year due to depression and anxiety and now I'm wondering if it's a good idea to drop out and do the course I always wanted to do but didn't because of my boyfriend, or start over at the same university (since UCL is a top university and it would be a shame to waste it) doing a course I would prefer.
Reply 1
...bump?
Reply 2
anyone? anyone at all?
Reply 3
Honestly, I'd definitely stick with it if you can, you seem able enough to do it (judging some of your marks). It's only one more year and you could easily do post grad in archaeology.

Plus you may be just as stressed etc. doing another course...
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice

Original post by fnm
Honestly, I'd definitely stick with it if you can, you seem able enough to do it (judging some of your marks). It's only one more year and you could easily do post grad in archaeology.

Plus you may be just as stressed etc. doing another course...

yeah I take your point, it's one of my biggest concerns. I think I am probably better equipped to deal with it now though. Even redoing the second term of this year might be good, then I could get everything sorted and do better. You're right I have the ability but since all my problems I reaallly lack motivation to continue. I'm in a much better place. The depression is hardly there now, sometimes I have bad days but the problems at home are getting better and I'm learning to be alone which is good. the anxiety is still pretty bad but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before. I just don't know if I want to be doing this degree anymore...

one of my friends suggested the same thing (finishing and then being able to do a masters etc). I think I should keep working towards this degree at least till the end of this year then make my decisions then.

Also if there's anyone out there with direct experience of this that would be mega helpful.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by campy
Thanks for the advice

yeah I take your point, it's one of my biggest concerns. I think I am probably better equipped to deal with it now though. Even redoing the second term of this year might be good, then I could get everything sorted and do better. You're right I have the ability but since all my problems I reaallly lack motivation to continue. I'm in a much better place. The depression is hardly there now, sometimes I have bad days but the problems at home are getting better and I'm learning to be alone which is good. the anxiety is still pretty bad but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before. I just don't know if I want to be doing this degree anymore...

one of my friends suggested the same thing (finishing and then being able to do a masters etc). I think I should keep working towards this degree at least till the end of this year then make my decisions then.

Also if there's anyone out there with direct experience of this that would be mega helpful.

I'm hopefully not being patronising, but everyone has bad days, and i think at times most people hate their degree. I think it would be really silly to throw it away, especially if the anxiety etc is not the issue anymore. Seriously, it makes so much sense to stick with it. Please do haha.
1) Silly to start over again since you could actually progress into 3rd year on your current degree, why start a degree that is almost the same as the one you do now- unless it is that language degree you're talking about.

2) you will face 9k fee for starting again.

3) Work hard and pass the exams then you could go to Paris?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending