The Student Room Group

Are medical students super-intelligent or studious?

Obviously anyone who gets into medicine is intelligent, but are most med students just naturally intelligent or intelligent and studious? I'm hoping to apply to medical school this year and whilst I get straight As I'm not exactly studious. If I get in will I need to spend my life studying?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need to be intelligent to be studious.

You can't be naturally good at knowing the content needed to get those As.
Reply 2
They're not necessarily geniuses; just intelligent, motivated and studious.
Reply 3
Well you can't be getting 1st's and 2:1's through rote memorisation alone.
Studious; medicine is a lot of learning. As is A level chemistry, the subject reququired to get in.
Original post by tehforum

How do you need to be inteliigent to be studious? Studious = working hard, that's nothing to do with intelligence.
Reply 6
Original post by joker12345
How do you need to be inteliigent to be studious? Studious = working hard, that's nothing to do with intelligence.

Yes, I don't mean to sound rude but I have class-mates and peers who spend their lives revising and end up scraping 70% in exams.
there is no such thing as intelligence when it comes to education, just different speeds at which people understand stuff. Real intelligence in a subject comes when making an original contribution, figuring out something that no one has figured out before. This isn't done by students, students just go over things that have already been laid out well in advance by other people. It's painting by numbers. Grades are just a question of the amount of time someone is willing to put in, it's not like there's anyone studying, say, sociology, that couldn't do medicine if they wanted.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Just alcoholics lol

No - from what I've seen from friends and family who do medicine, it's a course that isn't super hard, there's just a lot to take in. So I'll go with studious.
Reply 9
Neither?
Reply 10
Yes.
half and half i reckon.
Reply 12
Surely you need a bit of both?
Reply 13
yes..super intelligent, there is a difference, some people work their asses off and still don't get as far as people like medical students..they def have an innate ability to learn things quicker and more efficiently than your average joe..to do medicine you need to the UKCAT as well..and to be amazing at that, it really is about your IQ and whether you have it or not, and it isn't even anything to do with science, that really does test your pure intelligence. even practicing that doesn't really improve your scores but some people just naturally are amazing at it, which makes them progress to getting into medical school..therefore..PURE INTELLIGENCE
Reply 14
Original post by Spontogical
Well you can't be getting 1st's and 2:1's through rote memorisation alone.

That's how I did it...
Reply 15
Well to be honest I genuinely think it just requires a lot of hard work. And interest in the subjects your learning. It's extremely hard to be good at something if your not passionate about it, because your brain just doesn't take it in as easily if there's no interest.
Original post by tehforum

need to be intelligent to be studious?

no.

OP:

They are all studious thats why they are there, if they weren't they wouldnt have got the grades.

As for intelligent, without doubt intelligent people do medicine. But intelligence isn't reflected in exams resuts. Exam results prove you can work hard. It proves you can be book smart.
Most of the medical students I am friends with are the latter.
Reply 18
Mostly studious. Even the very intelligent people won't do well if they aren't willing to put any effort in. Obviously you have to have a bit of intelligence, but the vast majority of people in my year are just extremely hard working.

You will have to be willing to spend quite a lot of time studying, but you'll still be able to fit in sports and a social life, so its not that bad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Zara<3
to do medicine you need to the UKCAT as well..and to be amazing at that, it really is about your IQ and whether you have it or not, and it isn't even anything to do with science, that really does test your pure intelligence.
LOL

even practicing that doesn't really improve your scores
LOL

Based on personal experience, medics are not usually anything particularly special. In fact of the three I spent several years living with, one had incredible moments of total idiocy and one was the least emotionally mature person ever. Not to say I didn't love them all.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply