The Student Room Group

IB Maths HL 2012

Scroll to see replies

Just want to say that you people are all screwed.
Reply 81
Original post by JimmiesArentRustle
Just want to say that you people are all screwed.

huh? How'd you figure that out?
Original post by johndoe04
huh? How'd you figure that out?

Because Maths HL was designed for logical geniuses. So don't expect higher than a 5 unless you are one.
Reply 83
Original post by JimmiesArentRustle
Because Maths HL was designed for logical geniuses. So don't expect higher than a 5 unless you are one.

Hmmm. And I presume you've done higher maths then?
Reply 84
I don't believe in that theory that its for geniuses, its all about practice the more practice you do the better you'll do! And its not a month two months or even six months before the exam its every single day you learn something in class!
Reply 85
I found paper 2 a lot easier. :s-smilie:. I think we can talk about it now ^^. In section A I was fine and section B I did all except some of Q12. For this one answer sharing should be far easier :biggrin:, I still have them saved on my graphical calculators.
Reply 86
Original post by Hyaline
I found paper 2 a lot easier. :s-smilie:. I think we can talk about it now ^^. In section A I was fine and section B I did all except some of Q12. For this one answer sharing should be far easier :biggrin:, I still have them saved on my graphical calculators.

I found paper 2 easier as well. Paper one was kind of a nightmare. My brain only clicked into gear when i had an hour left.
Reply 87
Paper 2 was good coz of the use of GDC made it easier to avoid arithmetic errors! How on earth do you integrate 1/(1+x^4) for the continuous PDF to find a! I just put tan inverse of (x^2) but its wrong coz if u differentiate that u dont get 1/(1+x^4)! The vectors and normal distribution qns were god sent..in vectors the question where you had to show the equation of the plane was awesome coz it basically showed that ur entire qn was correct if u got it! The last qn took me a while to show but then through last minute instinct I got the show that ln thing it was such a happy feeling!
Reply 88
Does anyone know how to do the second part of the second question in Part B of paper 1? I sat there staring at it like a lemon for 5 minutes, gave up and had to move on. As for paper 2, how do you integrate 1/(1+x^4)...
Reply 89
Original post by x-tina848
Does anyone know how to do the second part of the second question in Part B of paper 1? I sat there staring at it like a lemon for 5 minutes, gave up and had to move on. As for paper 2, how do you integrate 1/(1+x^4)...

Look at the other thread xD, apparently its close to impossible........... I put arctan(x^2) as well initially, but when I tried to confirm using my calculator I god different results. In that case we'd have to sub x^2=u which messes everything up...........
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Would people say that these exams were harder relative to last years?
The complex numbers question in Part B in Paper 1 and the Application integration question in Part B in Paper 2 seemed to unsettle alot of people whereas last year all the questions were doable.
Reply 91
The integration last qn was honestly not too bad coz u get s=lncos(pi/4-t) and then for the expression u get s=lncos(pi/4-t) - ln(sqrt(2)/2) which when u simplify becomes s=lncos(pi/4-t)+1/2ln(2) then u had to compare it with v using (cos^2(x)) = 1/(tan^2x+1) = 1/(sqrt(v^2+1)) so s becomes s = ln((v^2+1)^(-1/2) - ln(1/2)^(-1/2) then simplify that you use laws of logs you get the show that thing!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
why would IB give us a tough integral for 3 marks? Makes no sense! What I ended up doing is trial and error until i got exactly 1 got a=1.38 or something!
Reply 93
Original post by MAMDS1993
why would IB give us a tough integral for 3 marks? Makes no sense! What I ended up doing is trial and error until i got exactly 1 got a=1.38 or something!

haha thats what i did, i think for integrating, i messed it up but for the next section where they said to find the value of a when fx =1, plotting the graph then finding the value of a seemed like a good method, i think i got answer too
Reply 94
does any body have any ideas on this years grade boundaries for a 6 above
Reply 95
Original post by hkl1994215
does any body have any ideas on this years grade boundaries for a 6 above

i hope that the grade boundaries are reaaaally low.

Depending on how well people do, the IB change the boundaries slightly.
Reply 96
i know that my teacher's getting the grade boundaries in four days. he's an examiner.
Reply 97
Original post by johndoe04
i know that my teacher's getting the grade boundaries in four days. he's an examiner.

in four days? is that even possible? i thought they release the boundaries after they marked everyone's papers
Reply 98
i don't think they're set boundaries. .
Reply 99
the real ones are out in about 5 weeks, i think.

Quick Reply