The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse maths

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me, if you do badly on paper 3H (very badly!) but then do much better on paper 4H, can you still make the grade you were hoping to get, or do you need to score a minimum mark on each paper, pretty much evenly split?

Thanks if anyone can help, I know what the grade boundaries for Edexcel IGCSEs are, but not sure how this is actually worked out.:confused:
Reply 1
It's 50 / 50 on each paper I'm afraid :/
Original post by Emsss
It's 50 / 50 on each paper I'm afraid :/

So if i happened to get 70 on paper 3h and 90 on paper 4h and the grade boundary was 80/100 to get A* would i not get A* as one of the marks fall below 80 despite the two marks weighting an average of 80.
Reply 3
Original post by oa786gunneruk
So if i happened to get 70 on paper 3h and 90 on paper 4h and the grade boundary was 80/100 to get A* would i not get A* as one of the marks fall below 80 despite the two marks weighting an average of 80.

You would get the A* if that was the case.
Reply 4
Yep a* but if you got say 65 then no
Reply 5
What did you guys get for 18) I got 55.5 probably wrong lol
Original post by laithmo96
What did you guys get for 18) I got 55.5 probably wrong lol

the angle?
Reply 7
Hi, thanks for replies re: the mark needed on each paper to get a specific grade. Still not really sure though - for example, if I just want to get a C, the grade boundary is normally around 26, so what would you need to get, roughly, on each paper in that case? I really wanted to know if you scored quite high on one paper, but no so high on the other, if it's still possible to get the desired grade.

Many thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by SMITHYS
Hi, thanks for replies re: the mark needed on each paper to get a specific grade. Still not really sure though - for example, if I just want to get a C, the grade boundary is normally around 26, so what would you need to get, roughly, on each paper in that case? I really wanted to know if you scored quite high on one paper, but no so high on the other, if it's still possible to get the desired grade.

Many thanks.

It's entirely possible as your two marks out of 100 are averaged. I was not very happy with Paper 3H at all, so I'm hoping Paper 4H on Wednesday is going to allow me the chance to push higher to average out at the grade I want.
Reply 9
I'm exactly the same - I've done lots of past papers and I thought 3H was a lot harder, so hoping 4H will be a bit better! Hopefully, though, from what I've been reading, it's likely the grade boundaries will be lower this year.

Good luck to everyone who did the paper yesterday and with 4H!
Reply 10
I know this is a long list but this is what our maths dept gave us, the things that didnt come up in 3H or only came up in smaller questions, so may well come up in 4H, hope it helps!
-probability
-fractions
-transformations
-set theory
-compound interest
-changing the subject of the formula
-circle theorms (Q18 didnt directly involve circlie theorms according to our maths dept.)
-direct and indirect proportions
-standard form
-application of quadratics
-differentiation
-some harder volume and surface area
-proporties of numbers (prime factors etc)
-angles and parralell lines
-3D triganometry
-plotting graphs
-working with decimals
-quadratic formula
-linear simultaneous equations
-sequences and the nth term
-symetry
-bearings and angles
-constructions
-vectors
-functions
-graphical solutions of equations
-advanced Trig
-finding the gradient of a graph by drawing a tangent
-histograms etc
-mode, median, mean
-speed/distance/time
-density/mass/volume
-surds
Reply 11
3H was horrible! I thought it was way harder in comparison to all the previous 3H papers. I didn't understand the population question at all, nor the 66 mark question with the two triangles :mad: :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Alicia18
I know this is a long list but this is what our maths dept gave us, the things that didnt come up in 3H or only came up in smaller questions, so may well come up in 4H, hope it helps!
-probability
-fractions
-transformations
-set theory
-compound interest
-changing the subject of the formula
-circle theorms (Q18 didnt directly involve circlie theorms according to our maths dept.)
-direct and indirect proportions
-standard form
-application of quadratics
-differentiation
-some harder volume and surface area
-proporties of numbers (prime factors etc)
-angles and parralell lines
-3D triganometry
-plotting graphs
-working with decimals
-quadratic formula
-linear simultaneous equations
-sequences and the nth term
-symetry
-bearings and angles
-constructions
-vectors
-functions