The Student Room Group

Applying for Uni please help?

As we're in our first year of AS, we're expected to start applying for uni's of our choice in sept/oct. We also obviously send off our grades, now as i've just took recent exams, what if they do not hit the requirements for the course I want to do at a specific uni? I want to do biological sciences, and grades required for them are abb- bbb. Absolutely anything could happen with exam results, what happens? Will I not get into a uni to do my course? I really don't want to consider anything else? Will I have to do an extra year...?

Sorry for all of these questions, but I really am worried!!

Thanks for your help in advance :smile:
Reply 1
First you apply through UCAS for 5 uni's.
You get predicted grades from your teachers.
If the uni like you they might interview you or might not. and might make an offer if you meet the required grades.
When you get your final A level results in A2. If you still meet the entry requirements you will get the place.
Reply 2
even if your AS results don't go as planned, you can make the grades through Jan resits and A2s

I got BBCD at AS but am now on track for AABC and can possibly get A*ABC

so don't stress too much about AS results. This summer WOULD however be a good time to shortlist 7/8 unis with a range of grades and requirements that you'd be happy going to (visit as many open days as you can) so you can make a quick decision of five after your results.

Also since you know which subject area you are going into START YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT NOW! I was the only one in my friend group that did this and my application was sent off four two/three months before theirs - I had replies from unis before they'd even applied and applying early does give you a slight advantage as unis see you as organised and motivated.

It also means if you get the offer you want you can firm it faster, putting you at the top of the pile for student finance(less likely to have problems in Sept) and accommodation applications(often on a first come first served basis).

Good luck with your results and UCAS application! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by H011y94
even if your AS results don't go as planned, you can make the grades through Jan resits and A2s

I got BBCD at AS but am now on track for AABC and can possibly get A*ABC

so don't stress too much about AS results. This summer WOULD however be a good time to shortlist 7/8 unis with a range of grades and requirements that you'd be happy going to (visit as many open days as you can) so you can make a quick decision of five after your results.

Also since you know which subject area you are going into START YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT NOW! I was the only one in my friend group that did this and my application was sent off four two/three months before theirs - I had replies from unis before they'd even applied and applying early does give you a slight advantage as unis see you as organised and motivated.

It also means if you get the offer you want you can firm it faster, putting you at the top of the pile for student finance(less likely to have problems in Sept) and accommodation applications(often on a first come first served basis).

Good luck with your results and UCAS application! :smile:

Thanks A LOT for your advice! Makes me feel a lot better :smile:, have a nice day! - sounds sarcastic, but i really mean it- xo

Quick Reply

Latest