The Student Room Group

Girls underestimating their size.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
If someone wants to buy clothes that are too small/very tight fitting on them, I don't much care. Who am I to police the clothes they wear.

I also noticed a little bit of hate for muffin tops in the first page of this thread. I've absolutely adored a slight muffin top on the girls I've dated. :love:
The problem with sizes is that they vary so much. You can be a size 12 in one shop and a size 16 in another. It also doesn't help that sizes don't take into account larger boobs, so you have to get a larger size even though the rest of you is a smaller size (a problem my gf has a lot).
Reply 122
Original post by llessur123
That's unfortunate, it's pretty black and white. Height doesn't have anything to do with your clothing size. Do you understand that?

But it surely affects how large you would be before you become fat? Because otherwise BMI wouldn't take height into account. (I know it doesn't account for muscle mass etc, but still) So someone who was female and 6'3" as one of my friends is, appears extremely skinny in a size 8 or 10, whereas I'm 5'3" and a size 10 or 12. So we might have similar measurements, but our appearence is totally different
Original post by E13
But it surely affects how large you would be before you become fat? Because otherwise BMI wouldn't take height into account. (I know it doesn't account for muscle mass etc, but still) So someone who was female and 6'3" as one of my friends is, appears extremely skinny in a size 8 or 10, whereas I'm 5'3" and a size 10 or 12. So we might have similar measurements, but our appearence is totally different

It affects your weight, yes because there is more of you. Weight also has nothing to do with clothing size :facepalm:.

I'm just going to keep saying the same thing over again until people stop asking. Measurements are the only thing that matter in clothing size. You don't have similar measurements or you would both be the same size, that is what measurements are. You obviously look different because you are different heights, but your difference in clothing size isn't because of height, it's simply because you're larger than her.

I'm into amateur dressmaking and work with a couple of girls and this is one of the most common things we hear. I can assure you, height does not matter.
Reply 124
Wait...when did size 14 become "fat"??!? :lolwut:

Yes neg me you pathetic nob. You don't have the balls to quote :rolleyes:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 125
It affects your weight, yes because there is more of you. Weight also has nothing to do with clothing size :facepalm:.

I'm just going to keep saying the same thing over again until people stop asking. Measurements are the only thing that matter in clothing size. You don't have similar measurements or you would both be the same size, that is what measurements are. You obviously look different because you are different heights, but your difference in clothing size isn't because of height, it's simply because you're larger than her.

I'm into amateur dressmaking and work with a couple of girls and this is one of the most common things we hear. I can assure you, height does not matter.

I also make dresses, and I know clothing sizes are based on measurements, so I totally agree with you on that front, and I hadn't meant to give the impression that I didn't think that. All I was saying is that two people could be the same clothing size, and therefore have the same measurements, but one could count as overweight, because they were that clothing size and short, while the other might be tall and that clothing size, and therefore not overweight.
Original post by E13
All I was saying is that two people could be the same clothing size, and therefore have the same measurements, but one could count as overweight, because they were that clothing size and short, while the other might be tall and that clothing size, and therefore not overweight.

No. Weight classification such as being overweight is calculated from weight and height, both which have nothing to do with clothing size or size measurements. I'm not even going to explain around that one because there isn't much to say, it's just wrong. I know what you're saying, but you are mistaken. This is exactly the kind of thing I mean, I don't understand where people get that idea from. I'm just saying the same thing over and over again.

Tall people don't have some kind of scale where by a larger clothing size is more "ok" than a small person at the same clothing size. They will look the same. Height is a common excuse, "I'm a size 18 but thats ok because I'm tall", it's just...wrong.

People need to separate that idea in their head that weight/height/bmi/ are all somehow related to clothing size, they aren't.

Where do people get this information? It's not true.
Original post by R4INBOW

It's pretty chubby generally, always has been. People who are size 14 aren't going to like it but it's true.
Reply 128
Original post by R4INBOW

It always has been? 12 is pushing it, but acceptable.
Reply 129
Original post by mau5
It always has been? 12 is pushing it, but acceptable.

I thought size 16 is when you're in the overweight category. I always assumed size 12 and 14 were ok and pretty average, especially size 12.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
No. Weight classification such as being overweight is calculated from weight and height, both which have nothing to do with clothing size or size measurements. I'm not even going to explain around that one because there isn't much to say, it's just wrong. I know what you're saying, but you are mistaken. This is exactly the kind of thing I mean, I don't understand where people get that idea from. I'm just saying the same thing over and over again.

Tall people don't have some kind of scale where by a larger clothing size is more "ok" than a small person at the same clothing size. They will look the same. Height is a common excuse, "I'm a size 18 but thats ok because I'm tall", it's just...wrong.

People need to separate that idea in their head that weight/height/bmi/ are all somehow related to clothing size, they aren't.

I'm sure I must be missing something here, but surely if you're taller you're more likely to be bigger in every dimension, so a larger weight, larger measurements and therefore a larger clothing size would be likely? I'm not saying size 18 is ever thin. But I'm saying if you were 5' and a size 14 you'd look fatter than a size 14 who was 6' because the bust, waist and hip measurements of a size 14 would be proportionally bigger compared to their height. Not that the 6' person would BE thinner, but that they would LOOK thinner. I just don't think you will look the same. If you took it to extremely, and imagined someone 4' tall with a 35" bust, and someone 8' tall with a 35"bust the taller person would LOOK thinner, surely?

I guess I must just be confused though.
I'm sure I must be missing something here, but surely if you're taller you're more likely to be bigger in every dimension, so a larger weight, larger measurements and therefore a larger clothing size would be likely?

They are heavier but this is because there is more of them, not because they are fatter. This larger weight doesn't affect their measurements because their weight is proportional to their height, not their clothing size or actual measurements. They are not bigger in every dimension, simply heavier. If they were bigger in every dimension then tall people would look absolutely beastly and would never be able to fit into a small clothing size such as a 4/6/8 which is evidently untrue if you take a look at most models.

I'm not saying size 18 is ever thin. But I'm saying if you were 5' and a size 14 you'd look fatter than a size 14 who was 6' because the bust, waist and hip measurements of a size 14 would be proportionally bigger compared to their height. Not that the 6' person would BE thinner, but that they would LOOK thinner. I just don't think you will look the same. If you took it to extremely, and imagined someone 4' tall with a 35" bust, and someone 8' tall with a 35"bust the taller person would LOOK thinner, surely?

Yeah, they probably do look thinner. This is just an illusion created by the extra length though, they aren't actually thinner. They have the same measurements as any other person. Obviously height affects how you look but not what size you actually are. It affects your size in a vertical sense only. How someone looks doesn't matter with clothing size. This brings me back to my original point height doesn't matter when it comes to clothing size.

I get why you could come to this conclusion, but it's wrong. I take girls measurements frequently and there is absolutely no difference in the tall girls and the small girls. Girls at a size 12 all look pretty much the same, regardless of height.
Because women who buy sizes two to three times smaller than what they actually are, tend to think that in reality, they are that smaller size.

Woman logic.

A 6 ft girl with a waist size (assuming all other measurements are proportional to this) of 30 inches is a bigger clothing size than a 5ft girl with a waist size of 25 inches. However, they have the same waist-to-height ratio, and thus the taller girl's bigger clothing size is effectively the same FOR HER as the smaller girl's is.

Oh, and also another way in which height matters.
Take the average short dress and stick it on an average girl, of 5ft. She can wear it quite tight etc without looking trashy, while a 6ft girl would have to wear it less tight to avoid looking trashy, as she'd have so much leg out.

It's pretty chubby generally, always has been. People who are size 14 aren't going to like it but it's true.

Chubby is not the same as fat.
A 6 ft girl with a waist size (assuming all other measurements are proportional to this) of 30 inches is a bigger clothing size than a 5ft girl with a waist size of 25 inches. However, they have the same waist-to-height ratio, and thus the taller girl's bigger clothing size is effectively the same FOR HER as the smaller girl's is.

This isn't what I mean :facepalm:. All I'm saying is two people of the same size have the same measurements regardless of what height they are. Simple as that, although it seems to be rather difficult for people to understand.

Oh, and also another way in which height matters.
Take the average short dress and stick it on an average girl, of 5ft. She can wear it quite tight etc without looking trashy, while a 6ft girl would have to wear it less tight to avoid looking trashy, as she'd have so much leg out.

I've also discussed this. I'm evidently not talking about leg length, only bust/waist/hip measurements.

Chubby is not the same as fat.

Not much difference, neither look good.

I'm going to stop replying to this thread now because it's becoming tiring trying to discuss a relatively simple point.
Reply 135
to be honest she probably didn't want to offend you so deliberately underestimated. Imagine if she had said "what are you now, a size 12?" when you were actually an 8. it's more flattering for them to think you look smaller than you actually are than the other way around. I do it too, if my friend is looking for a size in some clothes and I don't know what size she is I guess I'd underestimate rather than risk offending her by giving her a size up from what she is.
I have been guilty of this!:tongue:

It's just a lovely feeling when you go into a shop say, Topshop, and a size 8 top fits you rather nicely (when usually you're a size 10) and all of a sudden your mind starts clogging along and you start thinking 'Ohhh-err I must of lost weight, I'm a size 8 now!! :u:'

When actually you're not a size 8. That top was actually a one off and you realise when you go to primark the week after if you try and stuff yourself into a size 8 lace dress your lungs will nearly collapse.

Not that this has actually happened or anything. :ninja:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 137
I usually buy clothes which are too big for me. I just live in fear that I'll buy something and it'll be too small. I kept asking to try prom dresses on in a size twelve/fourteen, and then the women told me I was actually supposed to be wearing a size eight. I bought leggings in size twelve when I am a size ten in them. I always go by the rule 'it's better being too big, than too small.' but in reality, wearing something too big can completely drain your figure. It's not entirely our fault though, there's nothing worse than trying an item of clothing, which you really like in a shop, and finding that the smaller size is way too small and the size up is way too big.
I used to have a friend who would buy bras two sizes too small so that they looked bigger. I never understood it personally, especially when all she did was complain about how men ALWAYS looked at them. Put them the **** away then and wear a bra that fits properly!

EDIT: How can you neg me for that? Don't neg without giving a reason for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Agreed. Clothes that fit you well and flatter your figure look so much better than squeezing into something too small for you - it just draws attention to the fact that you are too big to wear that size rather than looking good. Having said that, it does feel good to be a size 10/12 usually to find some jeans that fit in a size 8 but it's a rarity!

Quick Reply

Latest