The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I had an interview when i did an access course. Mine was quite informal, just a chance for the course leader to meet me and see what my plans were regarding university. I talked about my background and it gave them more of an idea of my motivation and commitment to the course.
My friend had to sit a little test with regard to english and maths. It's just so they can check if you are suitable for the course. I think they need you to have a grasp of english and maths.
Reply 42
Hi,

I started my access course in Jan this year running through to Jan next year to apply for uni in 2012 and after finding the course I want the entry requirements for Access students state

"Normally we require 15 credits at level 2 and 45 at level 3 of which at least 39 level 3 credits should be graded at merit or above."

What does this mean as my course is pass/merit/dist?

What level is equivalent pass/merit/dist? Is it simply 1/2/3?

Thanks people.
Reply 43
Original post by irdan
Hi,

I started my access course in Jan this year running through to Jan next year to apply for uni in 2012 and after finding the course I want the entry requirements for Access students state

"Normally we require 15 credits at level 2 and 45 at level 3 of which at least 39 level 3 credits should be graded at merit or above."

What does this mean as my course is pass/merit/dist?

What level is equivalent pass/merit/dist? Is it simply 1/2/3?

Thanks people.

Your access course is made up of a total of 60 credits. Have you done modules/units? If so, these are made up of credits. E.g. one module could be worth 15 credits.

These modules are at different levels (of difficulty) e.g. level 2/3. You should be able to find out from your tutor which levels your modules have been at if you don't have the info available yourself.

The credits you have can be graded at pass, merit or distinction, and this course requires at least merit in 39 of the credits you took in level 3 modules.

Make sense? It's hard to explain really. If you tell me what course and modules you're doing I can go part way to seeing if you have done the correct levels.
Reply 44
Normally an Access course consists of some level two work, normally this is some basic maths and english, some colleges also offer ICT as well. All your work in these basic subjects will be marked and graded at level 2. It is not possible to get higher than level two in these subjects.

In the more complex subjects you will be marked at level 3. Level 3 work is then split in to 3 categories, Pass being the lowest, Merit being the middle, Distinction being the best. Think of it as being awarded an A, B or C.

So in terms of

"Normally we require 15 credits at level 2 and 45 at level 3 of which at least 39 level 3 credits should be graded at merit or above"

Presuming this is what a university has told you, this means that they would like you to pass the access course with 15 credits at level 2, these come from the easier maths, english and ict units tha you do. 45 credits at level 3, these come from the more complex subjects, they would like you to have achieved merit in 39 of those 45 credits.

Each college is different. For example, 45 credits for me is made up of 15 assignments worth 3 credits each. Best checking with your individual subject tutors to see how many credits are available in each subject and how they are broken down
Reply 45
Most Access course's require a basic maths and english test but it is really not difficult.

The main theme of my interview, which lasted less than 10 minutes was them checking my situation.

They asked me questions regarding financial situation. Making sure i would be able to support myself financially and how i intended to do this. I think the main aim was to make sure i wouldnt drop out because i could no longer afford to do it.

Its really informal and nothing to fear!
Reply 46
Makes perfect sense thanks for your help JustLau and josh_v :smile:
Can somebody help????

i have just received an email from one of my chosen universities asking me for the grade i obtained in my Access to HE course???? im stuck!! as all my certificates have a grade next to each module but i dont have an actual grade for the whole course. what do i tell the university?
i got the following:

Examining body OCN
Subject Information Technology
Module details Date: 01/07/10 Title: English - Understanding and Responding to texts Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: English - Speaking and Listening Level: 2 Grade: No gr Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: English - Technical Skills for Writing Level: 2 Grade: No gr Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: Study Skills Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: Mathematics Level: 2 Grade: No gr Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Computer Hardware and Networking Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Essential IT Skills Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Presentation Graphics Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Relational Databases Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Systems Analysis Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Visual Programming Level: 3 Grade: Merit Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Website Development Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Word Processing Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds

any help on what to reply back to the uni would be greatly appreciated, i have also contacted my tutor from last year but i do not want to wait for a reply as i want to reply back as soon as possible. thanks
Reply 48
As the previous thread about "are access courses enough to get into uni?" got merged, I'll answer here... the answer is no.

I just got turned away from an Access Course as I only have 3 GCSE's and the uni's wants 5 + Access course so the enrolment person wouldn't even give me the chance to do it.. I even offered to do 2 GCSE's at the same time but she said no.

Absolutely gutted right now, thought I was gonna cry when she told me lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SammySnips
As the previous thread about "are access courses enough to get into uni?" got merged, I'll answer here... the answer is no.

I just got turned away from an Access Course as I only have 3 GCSE's and the uni's wants 5 + Access course so the enrolment person wouldn't even give me the chance to do it.. I even offered to do 2 GCSE's at the same time but she said no.

Absolutely gutted right now, thought I was gonna cry when she told me lol.

That does surprise me a bit. At my college (FCOT) we have a fair few people with no, or at a maximum 1 or 2 GCSE's, and they still got onto the Access course. I have a feeling that it might be a way of sifting people out as Access courses are massively oversubscribed for the next academic year. Hell, the course i'm on is up more than 100% in headcount since last year alone, and I know of one college in Dorset that had over 200 people apply for 25 places on an Access course for the current academic year.
Original post by The Godfather
Can somebody help????

i have just received an email from one of my chosen universities asking me for the grade i obtained in my Access to HE course???? im stuck!! as all my certificates have a grade next to each module but i dont have an actual grade for the whole course. what do i tell the university?
i got the following:

Examining body OCN
Subject Information Technology
Module details Date: 01/07/10 Title: English - Understanding and Responding to texts Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: English - Speaking and Listening Level: 2 Grade: No gr Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: English - Technical Skills for Writing Level: 2 Grade: No gr Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: Study Skills Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: Mathematics Level: 2 Grade: No gr Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Computer Hardware and Networking Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Essential IT Skills Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 3 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Presentation Graphics Level: 3 Grade: Pass Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Relational Databases Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Systems Analysis Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Visual Programming Level: 3 Grade: Merit Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Website Development Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds
Date: 01/07/10 Title: IT - Word Processing Level: 3 Grade: Dist Value: 6 Creds

any help on what to reply back to the uni would be greatly appreciated, i have also contacted my tutor from last year but i do not want to wait for a reply as i want to reply back as soon as possible. thanks

18 p
6m
28distinc

ppppppppppppppppppmmmmmmdddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Your distinction overall.
Reply 51
does anyone know where you can find out what you actually study on an access course? i've been looking for a syllabus everywhere and cant find one.
i'm a little concerned that i'm going to have to spend a whole year learning things which i already know.
I know that sounds a little arrogant, but i just dont have that time to waste, just to prove that i know how to study.
Whatever happened to interviews for mature students to 'demonstrate their motivation and commitment to study'
Reply 52
Original post by mczakk
does anyone know where you can find out what you actually study on an access course? i've been looking for a syllabus everywhere and cant find one.
i'm a little concerned that i'm going to have to spend a whole year learning things which i already know.
I know that sounds a little arrogant, but i just dont have that time to waste, just to prove that i know how to study.
Whatever happened to interviews for mature students to 'demonstrate their motivation and commitment to study'

Which college are you going to?

It should be on their website.
Reply 53
i dont know, that's what i'm trying to acsertain. bangor uni has told me that i need more qualifications, and the only access courses i can find in the area are at coleg menai or yale in wrexham. but both colleges websites simply say things like 'chemistry' or 'biology'

beginning to think that its just not worth it
Reply 54
Original post by mczakk
i dont know, that's what i'm trying to acsertain. bangor uni has told me that i need more qualifications, and the only access courses i can find in the area are at coleg menai or yale in wrexham. but both colleges websites simply say things like 'chemistry' or 'biology'

beginning to think that its just not worth it

http://enrol.yale-wrexham.ac.uk/default.aspx
That clearly says what modules each course has.

What makes you think youre too clever for an access course? If universities have told you that youre grades arent good enough, then youre probably not too clever for access?
Reply 55
i didnt say i was too clever to do an access course, and the link above only states the names of the modules, not the syllabus info which i said i was looking for.

my main gripe is that the prospectus says that if you do not have the specific qualifications, then mature students applications will be assessed individually. This is the reason i applied, in the hope that by 'demonstrating my motivation and commitment' through interview, or even via an entrance examination, that i could prove myself to be a suitable candidate.

the reason i'm concerned about doing an access course is it takes a year, and even if you pass will all distinctions, there is no guarantee of gaining a place on a course.
Or is that what the uni means by 'displaying the commitment to study' i.e. giving up a job to do a year with no income other than that which you can gain from a part time job, still somehow manage to pay housing and subsistence costs, and put your family through the hardship this would entail?
am i alone in thinking that thats a bit much to ask?
Reply 56
Original post by mczakk
i didnt say i was too clever to do an access course, and the link above only states the names of the modules, not the syllabus info which i said i was looking for.

my main gripe is that the prospectus says that if you do not have the specific qualifications, then mature students applications will be assessed individually. This is the reason i applied, in the hope that by 'demonstrating my motivation and commitment' through interview, or even via an entrance examination, that i could prove myself to be a suitable candidate.

the reason i'm concerned about doing an access course is it takes a year, and even if you pass will all distinctions, there is no guarantee of gaining a place on a course.
Or is that what the uni means by 'displaying the commitment to study' i.e. giving up a job to do a year with no income other than that which you can gain from a part time job, still somehow manage to pay housing and subsistence costs, and put your family through the hardship this would entail?
am i alone in thinking that thats a bit much to ask?

If you cant take a year out for the access course, how do you expect to manage a 3 year university course? Access courses are designed with mature students in mind, degrees are not. Youll get much more flexibility with access. There are a lot of students on my course who have full time jobs and/or children.

Theres never any guarantee that you will get a place at university, regardless of what route you go through, be it access, a-level, btec etc. But if you take a look at a thread called Offers for Access 2011 entry, you'll see the universities that have been giving out offers. As i said, its never guaranteed but you'll have a very good chance.

So you're looking for a breakdown of lesson by lesson? Very unlikely you'll find (or even need) that.
Reply 57
its the funding thats the issue with the access course, i.e. none, whereas a degree does at least have some level of funding.

as for the syllabus, i'm not looking for a lesson by lesson breakdown, just something a little more informative than for example 'chemistry' and an indication of the level of the teaching. i'll then be able to make an informed decision, as if its at a level i can easily cope with, then i'll be able to (hopefully) find a part time job, as i wont need to spent a lot of time doing extra work.

one thing i am really worried about is all the changes going on with the university system at the moment, it seems like there are going to be fewer and fewer places available, which is going to make successful applications even less likely, as the demand for these places is obviously going to increase.
Original post by mczakk
its the funding thats the issue with the access course, i.e. none, whereas a degree does at least have some level of funding.

as for the syllabus, i'm not looking for a lesson by lesson breakdown, just something a little more informative than for example 'chemistry' and an indication of the level of the teaching. i'll then be able to make an informed decision, as if its at a level i can easily cope with, then i'll be able to (hopefully) find a part time job, as i wont need to spent a lot of time doing extra work.

one thing i am really worried about is all the changes going on with the university system at the moment, it seems like there are going to be fewer and fewer places available, which is going to make successful applications even less likely, as the demand for these places is obviously going to increase.

The Access course is the same as A level - in my experience with the college I attended, the syllabus was very similar to the A level syllabus with some sections missed out (I did A level Biology a few years ago and also did Biology on the Access course. It was almost identical except that some topics weren't covered, such as ecology or plant biology - pretty obvious when a course is run in 1 year instead of 2 that something has to be missed). However, this may vary from college to college as there seem to be large differences in the Access courses ran at different institutions.
Reply 59
so i should be ok then, i've done both biology and chemistry at a level, biology at HND and chemistry at HNC, albeit years ago, and been working in those areas since :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending