The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Accommodation 2011

Hello!
I was meant to start Queen Mary last September but due to lack of housing I had to defer my place for this year. QM was my insurance choice and because it was done so late, I totally missed out on campus accommodation. I tried finding an alternative, but I couldn't find a thing and was left pretty gutted. Word of advice for people putting QM as their second choice, watch out for a potential accommodation crisis come late August.

Anyway, I digress. This year I am on top of my game. I've both called and emailed the residences office checking when the application system goes live. I've been told this month, but am yet to receive an official email with my log in and password. I'm a little concerned that because I applied for accommodation last year, the automated system might class me as a second year student and once again I'll miss out on accommodation. I've been reassured that this will not be the case and I'll hear something in due course, but I'm a little wary of the residences office (they're not the most helpful people).

So I was just wondering if others with unconditional offers have heard anything yet about accommodation for this year? I don't want to hassle the residence office any more than necessary, so if somebody on here could tell me when they get an email or hear anything that would be great and if I don't hear anything, I'll act accordingly and get in touch with them.

Also, I know it's a little early for those just getting their offers, but if any of you have looked at accommodation what do you think? I hope I get put in Pooley House.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just wondering, when did you apply for accomodation last year as I may be applying through clearing?

Thanks
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Results day. There's like a less than 5% chance you'll get campus accommodation if you leave it that late. It's also extremely difficult to arrange alternative housing due to expense and such high demand. So beware.
When I did mine last year, didn't start my application until about April, and they take months to get back to you.

I lived in France House this year, but Pooley's good in that they're big flats so there'll be more noise, France house is too quiet. Anywhere else off campus is a rip off though in comparison to QM accomodation.
Reply 4
There's less than a week until April and I haven't received e-mail either. I'm checking my e-mail several times a day.^^
Reply 5
Original post by TwiggyL
There's less than a week until April and I haven't received e-mail either. I'm checking my e-mail several times a day.^^

I sent off an email not long ago to our local representative (I'm an international student) and he mentioned that application will start in April!
Beaumont!!
Reply 7
Original post by TwiggyL

Check your Junk folder. For some reason when I was applying last year, all my emails from QMUL went straight to Junk :smile:
Reply 8
No e-mails in Junk folder =[

I believe no one has received e-mail yet?
Reply 9
QMUL do take a while to get back to you for accommodation so hold in there. However, with this uni I've found that it is a bit of a hit and miss so if you don't hear anything by May time you might want to start thinking about alternatives. Don't want to scare or alarm you. It's just it happened to me in first year and I ended up commuting. It was not pleasant.
Reply 10
It's not a case of waiting to hear back, we haven't even applied yet!

Have no fear though people, I emailed the accommodation voicing my concerns and this was their reply:

"We are currently making final checks to our system but should be sending emails to students in the next couple of weeks. While I am afraid we do not have an exact date we anticipate this to be by the end of March."

I've been really on top of sorting out accommodation this year and have emailed them about four times, they're actually being quite helpful. I'm hoping to hear something in the next few weeks. I'll wait until mid April if and I haven't heard anything by then I'll get hassling again.
Hi

Just wondering do QMUL send this accommodation info to all applicants or just those who have firmed or insurance their offer?

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Frances...
Hi

Just wondering do QMUL send this accommodation info to all applicants or just those who have firmed or insurance their offer?

Thanks for any help :smile:

Just for those who have firmed QMUL, I think.
Original post by .Scout.
Just for those who have firmed QMUL, I think.

Thanks for the quick reply :biggrin: another question if you don't mind does it matter when you firm your offer in relation to the accommodation you get? ie are you less likely to get your first choice accommodation the later you firm? I know obviously you have to get your application in before the deadline in June I think it is...I'll check that :smile:

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by Frances...
Thanks for the quick reply :biggrin: another question if you don't mind does it matter when you firm your offer in relation to the accommodation you get? ie are you less likely to get your first choice accommodation the later you firm? I know obviously you have to get your application in before the deadline in June I think it is...I'll check that :smile:

Thanks

Well...I'm not too sure. I applied through UCAS Extra (after a last minuite change of heart about my other firm and insurance offers) around about June time. I applied for accomodation but was only allocated some after results day - obviously I got some Results day rejectee's room!
If you apply before the deadline and QM is your firm choice and you don't live in London, you'll be fine :h:
I emailed QMUL last night and they said something about a fault in the system so it will be early April.
I'm really swayed towards France House.. parents are willing to pay the £123.90.
Has anyone viewed accomodation yet and have any other views?
I'm at an open day on 15th April x
Reply 16
Original post by .Scout.
Well...I'm not too sure. I applied through UCAS Extra (after a last minuite change of heart about my other firm and insurance offers) around about June time. I applied for accomodation but was only allocated some after results day - obviously I got some Results day rejectee's room!
If you apply before the deadline and QM is your firm choice and you don't live in London, you'll be fine :h:

What if it's your firm choice but you live with in the M25? I really want accommodation but I live in Greater London, Kingston. I live a good 1hour30mins away on the tube though... Does anyone know of anyone living in Greater London that managed to secure a place for accommodation?

I emailed them about the log in details quite a few times this year.. originally they said March and now they're saying before mid April - hope this helps!
ahhh this thread has reassured me!! i thought i had been forgotten about (happened before when they didn't get back to me about my offer!!), but now i'm not feeling so bad! i think i'm gonna go for Pooley.. anyone else doing Biology?
Original post by loliitaaa2810
ahhh this thread has reassured me!! i thought i had been forgotten about (happened before when they didn't get back to me about my offer!!), but now i'm not feeling so bad! i think i'm gonna go for Pooley.. anyone else doing Biology?

Pooley looks nice, I'm undecided between it and Beaumont haha. But I'm guessing we won't be able to put our actual preference of halls/flats/whatever they are, just the type of accommodation we want :frown:
I'm doing Zoology, which is almost the same as the Biol course in first year :biggrin:
Reply 19
No I think you can actually put a first choice down. I vaguely remember there being some sort of dropdown menu and me selecting Pooley. Could be completely wrong though and it might be a different system this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending