The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesanthonydean
First shift went quite well!

Bit daunting being left on the till on my own on rush hour.. But to be honest, it's the easiest way to learn!

Got my second shift today, But i'm really confused what to do? Do I go straight to the crew room? Or do I go find someone and tell them i'm here?
Will I have a crew trainer again today too? I believe he's on shift again the same time I am.. Seeing as I was on tills yesterday, will i more than likely be in the kitchen today??

:biggrin:

On my second shift i just went straight to the crew room then went and found the manager i saw the day before :smile: he just asked me how he was etc then i got told to talk to the shift manager (luckily it was the same one as the day before) and i got put on drive through window one with 2 other people. (i was on tills for my first shift as well). I didn't have the same crew trainer that i did on the first shift (because he wasn't working, but he also finished before i did the day before so i only had a crew trainer for the first half of my first shift, then had other people helping me) . One guy who was helping me on my first shift i saw on my second, but didnt really get to speak to him that much. So i was with 2 different people, one was a crew trainer one wasn't. They were with me the whole of my shift after then :smile: But the one who wasn't had a crew trainer had been there 9 months I think and I'm not sure if she had never done kitchen or hadnt done it a lot and is generally on drive through.

although what i was doing on sunday was more boring as in the job i was doing (just taking the money and giving change) it was more fun as were at the back of the store and get to hear the guys in the kitchen and have a bit more of a laugh :smile: at one point we were a bit bored so decided to work out how many calories were in everyones order :smile:

was also quite funny because the drink machine broke, so someone put a sign outside saying 'no carbonated drinks' then no one knew what carbonated meant :P

also one of the pipes broke where you wash your hands, so there was a lot of water on the floor that everyone was sweeping up :smile:

but anyway you'll be fine. chances are there will be someone you recognise and just go speak to them :smile:
Just got a job there today (part time).
What should I be expecting on my training day? and being only 16, what should I be expecting pay wise? I read somewhere £5.45-6.55 but idk.
Reply 4062
Original post by jamesanthonydean
First shift went quite well!

Bit daunting being left on the till on my own on rush hour.. But to be honest, it's the easiest way to learn!

Got my second shift today, But i'm really confused what to do? Do I go straight to the crew room? Or do I go find someone and tell them i'm here?
Will I have a crew trainer again today too? I believe he's on shift again the same time I am.. Seeing as I was on tills yesterday, will i more than likely be in the kitchen today??

:biggrin:

When you turn up go to the crew room then 5 minutes before your start time go to the front counter and ask a shift manager what to do.

If you were on your own the day before and did fine they will probably ask if you want a crew trainer again. Feel free to say yes if you arent confident as you can later in the day say you are confident on your own and they can leave you.

The chances are very high you will be on till again, I have never done a whole day in the kitchen and I have worked there for 2 years.

At my store they will try and put you with the same crew trainer.
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
What should I be expecting on my training day? and being only 16, what should I be expecting pay wise? I read somewhere £5.45-6.55 but idk.

I don't know about the training, but its £4.35 for 16 in the McDonalds i have applied for.
Reply 4064
I actually had a good day at work today after all the crap yesterday.

More work drama though (with other staff this time though). I'm lovin' it :colone:

Training? As in your orientation? It's only meant to last an hour so you'll get an hours pay :tongue:

I don't think that people over 21 have a starting salary of £6.55 at our store so good luck with that :wink:
Got lots of shifts for the next two weeks! Given one of my morning shifts to someone else though, since I can't see myself waking up at 8am to start a 10am shift after I finish at 11pm the evening before.
Original post by Stacks
I actually had a good day at work today after all the crap yesterday.

More work drama though (with other staff this time though). I'm lovin' it :colone:

Training? As in your orientation? It's only meant to last an hour so you'll get an hours pay :tongue:

I don't think that people over 21 have a starting salary of £6.55 at our store so good luck with that :wink:

Can't remember what he said, was too shocked that he just said I got the job.
Think he said it was until 12. Oh and I don't expect 6.55 a hour or anything, just said that's what it said somewhere online (Probably London based stores).
Anything £5+ would be amazing
Also, another question.
At age 16 what hours can I work? my boss said 6am-Midnight is what I can work, just wanted to make sure.
Reply 4068
lol just got a mail: Your request for time off regarding the period 11/08/2011 to 21/08/2011 has been granted with the reason: already? Kind regards. :biggrin:
Reply 4069
Can't remember what he said, was too shocked that he just said I got the job.
Think he said it was until 12. Oh and I don't expect 6.55 a hour or anything, just said that's what it said somewhere online (Probably London based stores).
Anything £5+ would be amazing

Also, another question.
At age 16 what hours can I work? my boss said 6am-Midnight is what I can work, just wanted to make sure.

For under 18's it's £4.35 an hour, but you'll get a pay review September/October time and if you work hard your first few months you can raise that a bit. And yeah, under 18's can't work between midnight and 6am, so you can work any other time.
Original post by Ronda
For under 18's it's £4.35 an hour, but you'll get a pay review September/October time and if you work hard your first few months you can raise that a bit. And yeah, under 18's can't work between midnight and 6am, so you can work any other time.

Cool, thanks.

I'm 16 and just started too. Unfortunately you'll only be getting £4.35 to start with, and not many shifts either

And I had a training weekend at a different store which was quite good as we didnt do anything really but got paid :P

There were 4 crew trainers (the same ones both days) and the first day was more sorta like theory, like stocking up cleaning etc

The second we did DA, fries, burgers and Drive Through :smile:

But have fun :biggrin:
Also, another question.

Think it is this, but if your planning on staying at school/college then the latest you can work is either 10/11 (think its 11) on a school night (so sun/mon/tues/wed/thurs)

:smile:
Original post by Torrchy
lol just got a mail: Your request for time off regarding the period 11/08/2011 to 21/08/2011 has been granted with the reason: already? Kind regards. :biggrin:

Haha I've just applied for the 25/08/11 to the 04/09/11 off :P
Anyone know when your meant to have your first SOC? :s-smilie:
Original post by Torrchy

so jealous, we're not allowed any time off in august or december :angry:
also, what does T-Red actually mean? :P
Reply 4077
Original post by SortYourLife
Anyone know when your meant to have your first SOC? :s-smilie:

You should have 'health and safety' and 'hygiene and food safety' completed on your first day before you start work, managers at my store tell me this is a legal requirement.
You may also get one done in the first couple of days on the station you are working on.

Original post by SortYourLife
also, what does T-Red actually mean? :P

If you are on till and there is a mistake and you press total and then void the item the cost of that item becomes a t-red. It is bad to have this high because it is a way that people steal money and management becoe suspicious.
Original post by fwed1
You should have 'health and safety' and 'hygiene and food safety' completed on your first day before you start work, managers at my store tell me this is a legal requirement.
You may also get one done in the first couple of days on the station you are working on.

If you are on till and there is a mistake and you press total and then void the item the cost of that item becomes a t-red. It is bad to have this high because it is a way that people steal money and management becoe suspicious.

ahh right thanks :smile:

and well i did 2 shifts last weekend and havent had any SOCs yet :s-smilie: next shift isnt till the 24th :/
Reply 4079
I had my interview yesterday and was told I would find out the outcome within 24 hours. On my application status it still states "considering" for the job, however on the information request status, it asks for bank details for the job (since I've had the interview). Does this mean I have been offered the job? Was this the same for you guys when you found out you had been offered the job?
THankss

Latest

Trending

Trending