The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
As you'd imagine there is quite a scene here in Manchester especially for weed and pills but apparently the cool kids are doing nitrous at the moment (laughing gas - also actually legal...).
Like many other people said, no-one will make you do anything.
Reply 41
Hmm... they were selling laughing gas at an 'event' I went to in Glasgow. Didn't do much for me.

But yes, drug taking beyond the cannabis level is usually left to small groups of people who do it regularly. I've got a couple of mates who do anything and everything, but they're not the sort of people to force it on others.
*Natalie*
The guy next door to me smokes so much weed also he has his mates in there so its a really strong smell. Also beware how it affects their behaviour the guy oppposit my friend got really verbally agressive with her (after smoking weed) when she asked him to turn his music down a little. He only gets like that when he smokes weed.

what? there's absolutely no evidence of a correlation between people who do weed and verbal aggression! maybe the guy had been drinking as well? (although i'm not sure if someone could prove a correlation between drinking and verbal aggression either).

--------------

i lived in camden last year and was offered to buy drugs 4/5 times a night, however it's not something i wanted to do. there are plenty of people i know at uni who do drugs, but mostof them generally smoke it to relax. there's a smaller crowd doing cocaine, but as everyone has said, you're not going to be pressured into doing it or anything.
Reply 43
Stranksy
Dont say your anti-drugs if you drink alcohol, your contradicting yourself.

How about being "anti-illegal drugs?" That's not a contradiction :p:
Helenia
How about being "anti-illegal drugs?" That's not a contradiction :p:

No, it's not a contradiciton. It's just dumb and arbitrary. Cannabis is less problematic than cigarettes and alcohol in every single case of the word problematic.

What I oppose to is the idea that the best way to keep drug users healthy is to put them in prison.
Reply 45
Although I just smoke joints from time to time I think cannabis should be legal... I mean... there's not much difference between drinking 4 beers and smoking a joint (ok... there is a difference but not in the grade of "drunkness" you get :p: )

--------------

DRUGS USES IN PRISON? Who has said that? :eek: That would never happen! At least not in the EU!
Reply 46
It really depends on the group of people you hang out with. There are circles of friends who will just smoke weed ALL the time (my bf got chucked out of halls in his first year for smoking lol and pretty much spent his second year stoned :rolleyes: )and take pills and do coke and blah blah blah and then there are others who will draw the line at drinking.

I didnt even realise how big the drug culture among some groups could be until this year tho if I'm honest.. I was very sheltered last year and before I got to uni as well (had the whole 'oh my god drugs are so bad only junkies take them' attitude).
Reply 47
tommorris
No, it's not a contradiciton. It's just dumb and arbitrary. Cannabis is less problematic than cigarettes and alcohol in every single case of the word problematic.

What I oppose to is the idea that the best way to keep drug users healthy is to put them in prison.

That's a debate for elsewhere though, not this thread.
Like other people have said - drugs are available if you want them. Don't go round thinking that you're gonna get pressured into taking them though, most people who have drugs want to keep them for themselves, believe me!!!
Stranksy
Dont say your anti-drugs if you drink alcohol, your contradicting yourself.

Not necessarily. My definition of drugs for the purposes of the post (and I think where the original poster was coming from) are substances classified under the Misuse of Drugs Act (i.e. those which are class A, B or C not those available over the counter such as alcohol or cigarettes).

I think if you ask most people if they "do drugs" or take drugs they'll happily answer no with a ciggie in one hand and a pint in the other...it's all about terminology. So for those who take such an issue with it...bite me
Reply 50
I have never witnessed any drugs or known anybody to be on ilegal drugs on my three years at university. People did suffer from drug abuse though, the amount of aclchohol and red bull some students drank was shocking.
Reply 51
Tarts_n_Vicars
Not necessarily. My definition of drugs for the purposes of the post (and I think where the original poster was coming from) are substances classified under the Misuse of Drugs Act (i.e. those which are class A, B or C not those available over the counter such as alcohol or cigarettes).

I think if you ask most people if they "do drugs" or take drugs they'll happily answer no with a ciggie in one hand and a pint in the other...it's all about terminology. So for those who take such an issue with it...bite me

Its about terminology to an extent yes but I also think its wrong to say 'alcohol isnt a drug because it isnt classed as one'. Its only not classed as one because its so socially accepted. But thats a whole new argument :rolleyes:
mangomaz
Its about terminology to an extent yes but I also think its wrong to say 'alcohol isnt a drug because it isnt classed as one'. Its only not classed as one because its so socially accepted. But thats a whole new argument :rolleyes:

If you read my post though that's not what I said. I said that for the purposes of responding to the initial post I was defining drugs as those substances which are illegal. I'm allowed to make that distinction and was clear when I did so...just as you are entitled to your opinion on what consitutes a drug.
None of my friends do drugs - but then we all got that stuff out of our system when we were about 16/17. I was seeing a guy at uni whose whole flat was a pot den and I have heard of numerous people being kicked out of halls for drug use. I guess i'd have to just support everyone else's comments, it just depends on your friends, at home you would choose whether or not to hang around with drug-takers and uni is no different. Plus I'd hope that by the time you'd got to uni most people would be strong enough in their personal convictions to not be influenced by those around them.
Reply 54
drugs are easy to get hold of if you want them
Reply 55
weed, coke and pills are pretty well-used at uni. the only difference being that if you don't use coke or are good friends with someone who does you'll very often not know about it.
oh hell yes

when i first arrived there wasn't much going on (allot of people in halls who took drugs, didn't come out and admit to this as everyone was scared they would be alienated by the anti-drugs brigade....)

but from 2nd year onwards, when houses were sorted, as people were living with their now 'close friends' the drug use became rampant...

pot all day everyday

class A's for nights out and birthdays

it's really funny becuase some on the anti-drugs brigade were opposed to using drugs in th first year. However, as they got older, more of them began smoking weed, and then began taking class a's occassionally...

whether this indicates the slippery slope drugs provide

or indicates that people are more willing to take drugs when they mature,(and become less naive and stop believing mummy and daddy/FRANK) I am not sure

never came across meow meow tho!

Latest