The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone
Reply 2
ive heard about one being done in malta which is english speaking, but the fees are supposed to be crazy
Reply 3
any idea how much, in england its £9000 which is ridicolous.

however living costs should be lower abroad compared to england such as rent.
Reply 4
Hey

I know theres one in Prague - Charles University and their tuition fees are around £11000 and english taught and it is recognised by the GDC so you can practice here.

However I got told that the actual course itself is very hard, like much harder than UK ones. And also, you would need talk to your patients in Czech, so there would be a communication problem although the uni apparently provides a course to learn the language but personally I think it'd probably still be hard to communicate with the patients, especially the stubborn ones.

Grades wise, I'm not too sure, but I know you had to do ann entrance exam before but they emailed me saying that they would look at A-Level results itself from now on, so I got a bit confused on that and everytime I tried emailing the lady, my email wouldn't sent -_- so I kinda gave up.

But yeah basically theyre more interested in the money. Another uni for dentistry is the one in Slovakia, and its slightly cheaper but same problems with communication I think.

Hope that helps.
x
Reply 5
There are several dentistry courses in Europe namely Prague-Czech Republic, another in Slovakia,one Poland,one in Hungary and a new course in Valencia-Spain.

All European courses allow you to practise dentistry in the UK without having to sit further ORE/GDC exams, this is the advantage for european taught courses.
However the downside is that although these courses are advertised as "taught in english" this may be for only the pre clinical years and you will have to learn the home countries language for the clinical yrs in order to comunicate with the patients. Further, these courses are not cheap, generally starting around £9000'yr and £17,500 in Valencia plus your travel and living costs.
You can find students on this forum who have gone there in recent years and ask them for more info.

Another option is to study dentistry in India where the course is totally in english and costs approx £25,000 for the 5 yr course plus very low living costs, although the downsiude is that its very difficult to get admisson due to the beaurocracy and having to sit the ORE exams on return to the UK in order to be a registered dentist.
For further info on studying in India pls PM me.

Hope this helps.
Reply 6
anyone else got anything to add, someone on this formum currently studying in europe for dentistry.
why are you studying there, what is the experiance like, pros and cons of european universities, would you recommemed studying in europe and how many british students are there in these european universities

and again thank you
Reply 7
Just a point - does Germany not have any dental schools, what about France etc!! The language barriers still apply but surely there are loads of European dental schools! Although if it's about entry requirements then they're probably very similar to the ones we have here.
Reply 8
Original post by Oral
Just a point - does Germany not have any dental schools, what about France etc!! The language barriers still apply but surely there are loads of European dental schools! Although if it's about entry requirements then they're probably very similar to the ones we have here.

yeh but they allow applicants who have retaken there exams to apply, where as many british insitutions do not. also they are similar price to british universitys for 2012 entry roughly around £10,000 however living costs are much lower in europe than the uk.
i think the only downside is you have to learn the language in the clinical years unless i can find an university where i dont have to
Reply 9
I doubt you'll be able to find a place where all your patients speak mostly English.
Reply 10
Can i do dentistry? I failed my AS results :frown:

GCE Biology = C = 194

Biology unit 3T = 24 = E
Biology unit 2 = 98 = B

GCE Chemistry = E = 120

Chemistry unit 1 = 60 = C
Chemistry unit 2 = 43 = U
Chemistry unit 3T = 17 = U

is all hope lost? :frown:
Do the fees have to be paid upfront or can you pay once you start earning, like in the UK?
Reply 12
Original post by I am Nick Clegg
Do the fees have to be paid upfront or can you pay once you start earning, like in the UK?

i think you have to pay them upfront, btw what is your situation concering dentistry
Original post by undertaker1
i think you have to pay them upfront, btw what is your situation concering dentistry

Just done my GCSEs, so I'm still 2 years away but just looking at the options. I'd like to study in Malta. :smile:
Just done my GCSEs, so I'm still 2 years away but just looking at the options. I'd like to study in Malta. :smile:

LOL

just work hard at a levels etc and apply to a british dental school - you have aaaages.
Reply 15
anyone else got anything constructive to say please comment
Reply 16

Surely you would like to study in the UK rather than Malta? It is a hell of a lot easier rather than going abroad and studying.

From what I hear, studying dentistry in Europe is extremely difficult. It may seem quite easy to get in since as one mentioned earlier, their primary concern is money. The course itself is a lot more intense, added to the fact you will have to learn the language. Students and some dentists struggle communicating with their patients here, just imagine how much more difficult it will be communicating when you are not fluent in the native language.

Hope GCSE results went well btw
Reply 17
is there anyone on this thread that has actually been to europe or is currently studying there now please comment.

i would love to hear about your thoughts and opinions
Reply 18
This is exactly what I want to know.
I love learning languages and I just think studying Dentistry in Poland/Czech, (Around Europe generally) would be for me. How on earth do you go about applying though? Seriously, I've been on: Szczecin, Poznan, Wroclaw and Lodz / sites and its confused me so much! I couldn't find any links for prospectuses, there was very little information. I'd like info on the application process. Oh and I also looked onto Charles in Czech, that was sliiiiightly clearer but I still hope theres someone out there with an experience to share? :/
Reply 19
Original post by Bini_xo
This is exactly what I want to know.
I love learning languages and I just think studying Dentistry in Poland/Czech, (Around Europe generally) would be for me. How on earth do you go about applying though? Seriously, I've been on: Szczecin, Poznan, Wroclaw and Lodz / sites and its confused me so much! I couldn't find any links for prospectuses, there was very little information. I'd like info on the application process. Oh and I also looked onto Charles in Czech, that was sliiiiightly clearer but I still hope theres someone out there with an experience to share? :/

this is the website for the application:http://www.readmedicine.com/

im thinking of applying if i dont get an offer in any english insituation due to me retaking my 2nd year. i believe the entry isn't as difficult as long as you get the grades in the country of origin.
all i want to know is what the difference in teaching is in europe compared to britain. the pros and cons of studying abroad. the fees are very similar to england however no loans are available.

i would like someone on tsr who has/is studying in europe to share the opinions please thank you.

PS:are you going to apply for 2012 entry

Latest