The Student Room Group

Advice on A Level choices.

I am in Year 11 and have til next september to decide. I'll be going to Sixth Form at my school for sure but am less confident about my A Level choices. I went to a convention last night and I'm thinking along the lines of Philosophy & Ethics, History, English Literature and Media Studies. But are these a good combination? And what can they do for me in the future?
Reply 1
those subjects (excluding media studies) are very good for studying politics in university
Reply 2
Does philosophy and ethics come under the umbrella course of religious studies? My course, by the same name, does. Assuming yours does too, all of those are good...except media studies (if you want to go for Russell Group/top universities.)
Reply 3
Original post by Ankaret
Does philosophy and ethics come under the umbrella course of religious studies? My course, by the same name, does. Assuming yours does too, all of those are good...except media studies (if you want to go for Russell Group/top universities.)

So what do you recommend instead of media studies?
Reply 4
Original post by whispercally
I am in Year 11 and have til next september to decide. I'll be going to Sixth Form at my school for sure but am less confident about my A Level choices. I went to a convention last night and I'm thinking along the lines of Philosophy & Ethics, History, English Literature and Media Studies. But are these a good combination? And what can they do for me in the future?

I currently do the first three, but instead of media studies i do classical civilisation.
I would advise you to swap media studies for another subject, maybe a language?

The A levels could get you onto a variety of degrees such as: History, Politics, English Lit, Theology ect
Reply 5
So what do you recommend instead of media studies?

Well...you might want to refer to the Cambridge "subject matters" leaflet or type "A level respectability table" into google. Both will tell you the same thing...take traditional subjects. So really you could do...maths, any of the three sciences, geography (I think,) Classical Civ. (Not as traditional but still respected) hmm...let me see...I'll find some others.
Reply 6
So yes...maths, biology, chemistry, physics, a language, classics, geography..and slightly lesser: law, psychology, sociology, classical civ...that sort of thing :smile:
Original post by Ankaret
So yes...maths, biology, chemistry, physics, a language, classics, geography..and slightly lesser: law, psychology, sociology, classical civ...that sort of thing :smile:

classical civ is seen to be on par with history, as is history of art

it says on the Cambridge website
Reply 8
Original post by Ankaret

i'll take classics into mind thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
classical civ is seen to be on par with history, as is history of art

it says on the Cambridge website

Oooh, that's nice :biggrin: I think the table I was reading from is old then. OP, you should probably just check the Cambridge website and flyers...it's the most reliable way, it seems.
Reply 10
i'll take classics into mind thank you :smile:

Oh, definitely :biggrin: It's fantastic if your college offer it! I've ended up applying for five Classics degrees lol It's a wonderful subject :smile:
Also consider a language -quite highly regarded. I'm basically doing the same except a language (not media studies... thats standing out like sore thumb at the moment the otheres are great) and maths so that i'm not going all arts want one science type subject and I hate english especially literature although as they're compulsory at GCSE i'm trying really hard as I can get an A just if I try to like it.

Im trying to study Law with my choices.... :biggrin:

But yeah apart from media studies good choices :smile:
hi, i got myprospectus today for sixth form and I'm unsure what to do..
predicted gcse grades - A*A*A*AAAAAAB - A*'s in English lit and lang and Spanish.
I think i was to do English Literature and Language, Spanish and then i'm not sure whether Economics, History or Media Studies :/ I want to do English at University. Any one any ideas?
Original post by GrammarGirl
hi, i got myprospectus today for sixth form and I'm unsure what to do..
predicted gcse grades - A*A*A*AAAAAAB - A*'s in English lit and lang and Spanish.
I think i was to do English Literature and Language, Spanish and then i'm not sure whether Economics, History or Media Studies :/ I want to do English at University. Any one any ideas?

Not Media Studies read above if you want reasons.

We have a useful sheet on essential and useful a levels for particular degrees at uni... its a rewording of the Informed choices section of the Russell Group website (check that out) but it says for English ussful ones are History, a MFL (youve got Spanish) and Lantin but that depends on if you did Latin GCSE, But History would be really good as it also deals with essay type questions ans essay writing skills - needed for english at any level:wink:
thank you very much. That has really helped. We have an open day next week so i think i'll ask my teachers aswell :smile:
Reply 15
Avoid media studies like the plague if you're planning on going to a decent uni. Choosing that is an A level sin!
Reply 16

Philosophy & Ethics, History & English Literature are brilliant. I take them and I would very much recommend them - they are well respected (Philosophy slightly less, but still respected), enjoyable and fit well together. But not so sure about Media Studies tbh... it isn't regarded at all well by universities. Any other A levels you think you'd enjoy nearly as much? I'd be happy to give you my opinion. Any ideas on Uni subject btw?
Reply 17
Original post by tom the student
Not Media Studies read above if you want reasons.

We have a useful sheet on essential and useful a levels for particular degrees at uni... its a rewording of the Informed choices section of the Russell Group website (check that out) but it says for English ussful ones are History, a MFL (youve got Spanish) and Lantin but that depends on if you did Latin GCSE, But History would be really good as it also deals with essay type questions ans essay writing skills - needed for english at any level:wink:

As a prospective English applicant doing 3/4 of OP's subjects can I jump in and say that Philosophy & Ethics would be useful for a Lit degree. A lot of texts are very religious, especially the older you get, and the logical thinking, analytical and essay writing skills you learn are of benefit. While a foreign language is definitely useful it is by no means essential and given the big step up from GCSE shouldn't be embarked upon lightly!
Reply 18
Instead of Media Studies, is Psychology a good choice? Would that, History, English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics go well? What jobs could they lead to?
Reply 19
Instead of Media Studies, is Psychology a good choice? Would that, History, English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics go well? What jobs could they lead to?

Yes, I think it would be a good choice - ties in nicely with P&E in particular. (it is slightly less respected, but by no means enough for that to be a consideration)

Quick Reply

Latest