The Student Room Group

NHS interview for clinical support worker

i got a reply before from NHS saying that i have an interview on tuesday :woo: ive never had an interview before (unless you count uni) so i have no idea what to expect. do the NHS tend to ask you the stupid questions like 'what do you think you would bring to this role?', or do they tend to ask you about what youve previously done etc?

its a support worker in a lab. its a pretty basic job (they only ask for basic maths and english), and its labelling stuff, reception duty etc. i have no idea what theyll ask me. and im worried that they might ask me why im applying for a basic job when i have a degree in chemistry :s-smilie:

any help or interview advice would be very very appreciated :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I have an interview for a very similar role on Monday! It is for the position of Laboratory Specimen Worker but the job description is the same as what you've mentioned above i.e. labelling, reception duty, etc. I was wondering if you could provide any information regarding what your interview was like and what questions/assessments it consisted of? I've only been told there'll be three people in the interview room!

Furthermore, I've misplaced my certificates. Will this matter?

Any info would be a MASSIVE help.

Thank you!
Reply 2
Original post by Funkymonkey21
i got a reply before from NHS saying that i have an interview on tuesday :woo: ive never had an interview before (unless you count uni) so i have no idea what to expect. do the NHS tend to ask you the stupid questions like 'what do you think you would bring to this role?', or do they tend to ask you about what youve previously done etc?

its a support worker in a lab. its a pretty basic job (they only ask for basic maths and english), and its labelling stuff, reception duty etc. i have no idea what theyll ask me. and im worried that they might ask me why im applying for a basic job when i have a degree in chemistry :s-smilie:

any help or interview advice would be very very appreciated :biggrin:

I work in an NHS lab,

They might ask you something like 'how do you feel that you match the person specification', or 'tell us about yourself', or 'give us 3 words that describe yourself and explain them' - basically they are going to ask you at some point what qualities you have which match what they're looking for. So important things in a lab (or any job) are the ability to communicate well, get on well with others, good time management and ability to prioritise tasks, hard working, perhaps the ability to work unsupervised. The main thing is that you must look at the person specification before the interview and bring up how you match that in the interview.

They might mention health and safety maybe, just be aware that you need to wear personal protective clothing like lab coats and gloves, maybe goggles, use safety cabinets. Be aware of chemicals. Perhaps be aware that you need to maintain patient confidentiality by not talking to all your friends about so and so's test results, obviously!

They aren't adverse to stupid questions, one question I had at my latest interview was about who i would invite to dinner if i could. It was just to relax me (it didn't), not to read deep into my personality, so don't worry too much about things like that.

I'd hope they wouldn't ask you why you were applying to the job when you have a degree, but they might ask you why you want the job and you'll have to give a diplomatic answer about how you want to work in a lab, the environment interests you, you want to work in the NHS without making it sound like you're going to leave for a better job at the next opportunity (though I'm sure they know that, they wouldn't interview you if that was a serious concern- that better job might be with them).

I can't immediately think of anything else to add (and I need my dinner!) but if you have any more questions just ask.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was once interviewed for an NHS job (admin though) and a lot of the questions were the usual things about your qualities and previous experience. They also gave me a task about priotising, and gave me a situation and asked what I would do etc.
Reply 4
Thank you guys so much. This has been a great help. I've been preparing answers and noting points/characteristics about myself to be sure to mention! Thanks, guys. Feel a little more relaxed now.
Thanks for all the suggestions..Don't forget another nasty NHS question they like to parade around.Do you consider yourself successful and why?

I also dread the "but you have 2 degrees why are you applying for this MLA post?"

Also a common one<<<what do you understand about equality and diversity?

also try to mention COSHH and HAWSA 1974 when talking about safety and lab coats and gloves etc.
Reply 6
I got asked fairly normal questions but the last one was 'what do you think your greatest achievement is?'. I tried to prepare but to be honest there's no way of knowing what they'll ask! Oh they asked me what I thought microbiology was. I just said I dont really know lol! I still got the job though!! :smile:
Reply 7
I got asked fairly normal questions but the last one was 'what do you think your greatest achievement is?'. I tried to prepare but to be honest there's no way of knowing what they'll ask! Oh they asked me what I thought microbiology was. I just said I dont really know lol! I still got the job though!! :smile:

Lol! Well done!!
Hey all I got an interview for MLA and just wanted to ask if anyone has done a typing test for them? What does it involve? is it a scenario you are given or a datasheet?
Reply 9
Original post by xev bellringer
Hey all I got an interview for MLA and just wanted to ask if anyone has done a typing test for them? What does it involve? is it a scenario you are given or a datasheet?

I can't answer your question, but I'd imagine they might be looking for how accurately you copy data onto the computer.

what lab is it for? i didnt have to have a typing test and i cant where i work doing a typing test because its not really a huge part of our jobs :s-smilie: i suppose it depends what it says is involved in the description :smile:
what lab is it for? i didnt have to have a typing test and i cant where i work doing a typing test because its not really a huge part of our jobs :s-smilie: i suppose it depends what it says is involved in the description :smile:

Its for Blood sciences/pathology.I guess tere will be a lot of specimens received and will need to be putting those onto the system. I'd rather work in microbiology but you take what you can get right.

What do lab are you in?What does the majority of your work involve?
Its for Blood sciences/pathology.I guess tere will be a lot of specimens received and will need to be putting those onto the system. I'd rather work in microbiology but you take what you can get right.

What do lab are you in?What does the majority of your work involve?

where i work its very easy to book things in and the computer related things are fairly straight forward :smile:
i work in micro :s-smilie: we book things in, process different samples like urine, faeces and swabs/body fluids. basically we do all of the preliminary stuff so the BMS's dont do anything messy. its different in all labs though, i know some people who did micro in different hospitals did a lot more than we do where i work.

when is your interview?
Interview is on Thursday morning.I'm not looking forward to being observed typing data in.I feel like it might make me nervous and make me make errors I normally wouldn't.l

I'm writing down my model answers and practicing them today and tomorrow. If I were smarter I'd apply for the clinical scientist training program coz MLA is a dead end.Just need the work experience of being in an NHS lab.

Where do you see this path leading you? You've been doing it for more than a year right?
Interview is on Thursday morning.I'm not looking forward to being observed typing data in.I feel like it might make me nervous and make me make errors I normally wouldn't.l

I'm writing down my model answers and practicing them today and tomorrow. If I were smarter I'd apply for the clinical scientist training program coz MLA is a dead end.Just need the work experience of being in an NHS lab.

Where do you see this path leading you? You've been doing it for more than a year right?

Good luck - let us know how it goes :smile:
I'm applying for support worker positions in the NHS but don't want to be doing personal care such as bum-wiping, feeding etc...

are there any support worker roles in the NHS that don't involve an element of personal care?

I have applied for position of flexible care support worker with NHS professionals but concerned it may involve the above and the job description is really vague and doesn't go into great detail regarding what the job actually involves. Have been booked in for an interview in 4 weeks time but going to call NHS tomorrow and get more specific information. May have to withdraw application for this particular role if there's washing and bum wiping involved.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
I'm applying for support worker positions in the NHS but don't want to be doing personal care such as bum-wiping, feeding etc...

are there any support worker roles in the NHS that don't involve an element of personal care?

I have applied for position of flexible care support worker with NHS professionals but concerned it may involve the above and the job description is really vague and doesn't go into great detail regarding what the job actually involves. Have been booked in for an interview in 4 weeks time but going to call NHS tomorrow and get more specific information. May have to withdraw application for this particular role if there's washing and bum wiping involved.

On a mental health ward (adult, not elderly) you will not have to do much, if any - although that may depend on the patients at the time, and the way they behave.

Wiping bums isn't as bad as it sounds, after the first couple of times you get used to it. Yes, it isn't nice, but it is something that they people need doing. I always find that talking to them throughout takes both of your minds off what you are doing, if that is any help.
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
On a mental health ward (adult, not elderly) you will not have to do much, if any - although that may depend on the patients at the time, and the way they behave.

Wiping bums isn't as bad as it sounds, after the first couple of times you get used to it. Yes, it isn't nice, but it is something that they people need doing. I always find that talking to them throughout takes both of your minds off what you are doing, if that is any help.

I've applied for support work positions on nhsjobs which don't involve personal care. I've done a very small bit of it before and I'm simply not prepared/willing to do any more. I know this might sound arrogant but I haven't experienced all the education I have done, and achieved all the qualifications and grades I have done to bum-wipe, wash and feed, for a full-time job. Different strokes for different folks. I'd only go through with a support work/healthcare assistant job in the NHS as a last resort and if I was desperate. I do admire and respect the people who do these jobs, without wanting to sound patronising. I know I'll probably end up needing my own bum-hole wiped by a support worker/healthcare assistant in my older years but I don't wish to be in the position of having to do it as a job!!

Anyway, I'm probably going to get negged for the above. Meh.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
I've applied for support work positions on nhsjobs which don't involve personal care. I've done a very small bit of it before and I'm simply not prepared/willing to do any more. I know this might sound arrogant but I haven't experienced all the education I have done, and achieved all the qualifications and grades I have done to bum-wipe, wash and feed, for a full-time job. Different strokes for different folks. I'd only go through with a support work/healthcare assistant job in the NHS as a last resort and if I was desperate. I do admire and respect the people who do these jobs, without wanting to sound patronising. I know I'll probably end up needing my own bum-hole wiped by a support worker/healthcare assistant in my older years but I don't wish to be in the position of having to do it as a job!!

Anyway, I'm probably going to get negged for the above. Meh.

Hey Wiz,

I understand what you're saying completely.I've been doing support work for 5 years now.Started when I was 20 to support myself thru uni.I was absolutely terrified of bathing people and hated the thought of seeing a guys testicles!!!! As for bum wiping,I got over that pretty quickly,at times I'd even be cracking jokes whilst getting on with it.I get that not everyone can tolerate such tasks.

If you can't handle poo,wee,sweat,menstrual fluid and infected soiled materials then stay away from elderly mental health(and forensic womens wards).Stick to acute adult wards.BUT understand you may get individuals who will oneday get need assistance with toileting,shaving,oral care or dressing.Why not do something else like admin or retail.Then ur chances of poo-dodging are reduced to nil.

I remember the first set of hairy poo covered testicles I ever had to get to grips with.I was really grossed out and never wanted to do it again but lo and behold,I'm still here.I pick and choose carefully where I work with people who are fully continent or just cathed.

Good luck to you.How bad was ur first poop experience LOL?
Hey Wiz,

I understand what you're saying completely.I've been doing support work for 5 years now.Started when I was 20 to support myself thru uni.I was absolutely terrified of bathing people and hated the thought of seeing a guys testicles!!!! As for bum wiping,I got over that pretty quickly,at times I'd even be cracking jokes whilst getting on with it.I get that not everyone can tolerate such tasks.

If you can't handle poo,wee,sweat,menstrual fluid and infected soiled materials then stay away from elderly mental health(and forensic womens wards).Stick to acute adult wards.BUT understand you may get individuals who will oneday get need assistance with toileting,shaving,oral care or dressing.Why not do something else like admin or retail.Then ur chances of poo-dodging are reduced to nil.

I remember the first set of hairy poo covered testicles I ever had to get to grips with.I was really grossed out and never wanted to do it again but lo and behold,I'm still here.I pick and choose carefully where I work with people who are fully continent or just cathed.

Good luck to you.How bad was ur first poop experience LOL?

My main areas of interest are mental health, homelessness, alcohol and substance misuse, so I will be applying for roles within the NHS dealing in these areas. Not all support work roles deal with personal care.

I did work as a bank support worker in residential care for 2 months last year, from April to June and the nature of the job didn't come close to the job advertisement. It was pretty much all about feeding, washing, dressing. It was wretched tbh. Nauseating and I did come close to vomiting during the first few occasions of having to wash and wipe someones testicles and bum-hole.

Thankfully I have none of this in my current part-time support worker role...

Quick Reply