The Student Room Group

Computer Science - Many Girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Casshern1456
You can expect to find male intellectuals with big ideas trying to make their mark in this world whilst unleashing the nerdiness in class-room discussion that will inevitable turn into a topic about Star Wars or who's got the best Kill~death ratio on COD or even a debate with Apple Iphone Vs Android or what OS is best. I guess it would liken to compare yourself going into a Supermarket and buying EVERY brand of chocolate taking it home and sitting in the middle of your living room whilst listening to a Led zeppelin album be tossing all the chocolates above your head and letting off a tiny scream.

My mind has been blown.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
There's too many man, too many many man.

:lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfsHctqvMwc&feature=player_embedded
(edited 12 years ago)
mine is probably like, 30% girls.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
mine is probably like, 30% girls.

Are you at Queen Mary tho :colone:
Are you at Queen Mary tho :colone:

yeah why?
Reply 45
yeah why?

for computer science that's basically 100% girls
cu@campus
Original post by exe
for computer science that's basically 100% girls
cu@campus

??
yeah why?

Just thinking about making it my firm :colone: :u:
Just thinking about making it my firm :colone: :u:

ah safe safe

yeah come you'll love it
UCL CompSci open day - 25 boys 6 girls roughly
Original post by Sweetcorn_1

Original post by Sweetcorn_1
UCL CompSci open day - 25 boys 6 girls roughly

Hahahaaa innit!! Yeah 6 lol, I counted :P
There's as much girls studying Computer Science as there's much males studying Psychology.
At our campus, I believe we do as bad or worse than imperial. It's around 11 guys to 1 girl here. At the other campus, it's more than likely the other way around because the university say that there's a near 50/50 split

Our campus is the geeky one btw
Reply 53
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Apologies in advance for the blatant plug, but I thought some of you might be interested in the Women in Computer Science taster day we've got coming up in March. It's totally free and we've still got places available. You get the chance to hear from some of the (male and female) CS researchers and lecturers here at Oxford, as well as some current undergraduates.

(For those students who started with us this year, we made 14% of our offers to women. Not as high as we'd like, but that's why we're doing things like the Women in CS day I mentioned above.)

I know I'm a bit late, but is there still places available for this? It sounds really good!
Original post by x_leah27_x
I know I'm a bit late, but is there still places available for this? It sounds really good!

Yes there are. I'll DM you the details.
Reply 55
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Apologies in advance for the blatant plug, but I thought some of you might be interested in the Women in Computer Science taster day we've got coming up in March. It's totally free and we've still got places available. You get the chance to hear from some of the (male and female) CS researchers and lecturers here at Oxford, as well as some current undergraduates.

(For those students who started with us this year, we made 14% of our offers to women. Not as high as we'd like, but that's why we're doing things like the Women in CS day I mentioned above.)

I don't understand the logic of what you have said and what you are offering for one gender only. Surely you are actually operating a merit based admission process, where you want the best student regardless of gender, race, or other metric.. or is equal opportunities not something that is relevant in university applications. I don't have an axe to grind, I am just curious what are the important factors used in admission for CS.
Original post by hoffa
Thank God for super-ego.

That guy is a dick.
Reply 57
Girls don't study Computer Science. You've all been conned :sadnod:

Spoiler

Original post by Kobeyi
I don't understand the logic of what you have said and what you are offering for one gender only. Surely you are actually operating a merit based admission process, where you want the best student regardless of gender, race, or other metric.. or is equal opportunities not something that is relevant in university applications. I don't have an axe to grind, I am just curious what are the important factors used in admission for CS.

We want to attract more candidates to Computer Science, regardless of gender. However, there is clearly an issue that fewer women than men are going into Computer Science, and we want to redress that balance. We believe that there are many women out there who would enjoy and benefit from a CS degree, but are currently unsure about that: this event is aimed at them. Of course, there are also lots of events targeted at a broader audience; see http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Open_days.
Reply 59
For Imperial, St Andrews and Edinburgh what are the ratios ? I cant seem to find them in their websites :/

Quick Reply