The Student Room Group

Anyone else cut their own hair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by janet9
x

Ha, your avatar is definitely appropriate for this thread :tongue:

I'd really like to cut my own hair, but I'm sure I'd balls it up. And I do actually have a very simple haircut (think Daniel Craig side parting). What kind of equipment do people use, just razors and scissors like an actual hairdresser? And how do you learn how to do it?
I've tried and failed!
When I was about 16 I decided to cut my own fringe because I couldn't see past it. Stupidly though, I cut it to the length I wanted when it was WET. Needless to say, when it dried, I ended up looking like an idiot. Never cut my hair myself again.
Reply 43
Original post by geetar
Ha, your avatar is definitely appropriate for this thread :tongue:

I'd really like to cut my own hair, but I'm sure I'd balls it up. And I do actually have a very simple haircut (think Daniel Craig side parting). What kind of equipment do people use, just razors and scissors like an actual hairdresser? And how do you learn how to do it?

If you're absolutely new to using razors to cut (long!) hair, then I wouldn't recommend going further than a few snips here and there. Razors are, more often than not, used by people on their own to periodically maintain/adjust a hairstyle. But if you're comfortable and confident, then go for your life. The main tools of the trade are scissors (if you want to go the extra mile, then 'hair-thinning' scissors), a shaving razor blade like Venus or Gilette (I haven't used the razor 'sticks', they're harder to handle in my opinion), as well as combs. Hair is best cut when wet. If there's a lot of hair to cut to achieve your desired style, then head off to the shops this time. Scissors are the main tools when there's lots to cut. Razors are more for shaping and layering by yourself, if you yourself aren't that comfortable with scissors. So after a shop haircut, instead of letting it grow for e.g. 4 months+ and then going to the shops again with this cycle repeating, use a blade to snippet a piece here and there - it mainly works for a chopped-up, messy look. Do this once a month - but it all depends on your style and also whether you like to radically change your look often or not.

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. Good luck, and take care with razors.
Original post by tehforum
You fell out with a hairdresser.

:colonhash:

You win.

If this is sarcastic I don't get your point. He was still offering to cut my hair for £5 but I didn't like his attitude so I went somewhere else.
Is there anyone out there who cuts the whole of their hair? I have really long hair, and I'm wondering how easy it would be to cut it by myself. It's just straight cut.
I cut my own fringe and my own layers when they get too long. I'd never cut layers into my hair to begin with, but I'm going to have to sort out my split ends soon because I can't get to my hairdressers until Easter.
Reply 47
I cut my own hair, shave a number 2 on the sides and back and leave it quite long on top (think it's between 3-4 inches long now), been doing it for a couple years now and it seems this haircut is becoming really popular again amongst lads.
I'll try and show a picture if anyone has anyone real desire to see what I mean.
I agree why people won't cut their own hair I mean it not that hard to do it your self as long you are happy to do maybe some people are lazy to cut their hair. I will be soon cutting my own hair cos I have been thinking about this for while now and I believe it's will be my great inventors to cut my hair by my self and would save me from having go to barber every twice a weeks. I will be getting one of those philips do your self hair clipper and remington shortcut look good too. And I have confident that I will be happy cutting my hair.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mega0448
I cut my own hair, shave a number 2 on the sides and back and leave it quite long on top (think it's between 3-4 inches long now), been doing it for a couple years now and it seems this haircut is becoming really popular again amongst lads.
I'll try and show a picture if anyone has anyone real desire to see what I mean.

Hey mate, would you mind showing me as I'm interesting in this I have short back and sides too and bit long on top
Reply 50
Bought clippers 3 years ago and never looked back.

Usually cost £7 to get a haircut from the barbers, clippers were a good invesment.
Reply 51
I cut my hair all the time. I have not been to a hairdressers since thye messed up my hair really bad in 2007. I just watch A LOT of youtube videos! I like doing it :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by bengalisoldier
Hey mate, would you mind showing me as I'm interesting in this I have short back and sides too and bit long on top

I'll try and PM you a picture tomorrow.

I just read your previous post saying you're buying come clippers? make sure you invest in decent ones as there really is a difference in quality and reliability (If you buy cheap stuff then it's likely they will break mid-haircut!).
Those fancy "short hair" stuff are crap as well.
My best friend is a hairdresser. So I don't need to pay, and she always knows what I want as I don't trust hairdressers. Best of both worlds!

I just read your previous post saying you're buying come clippers? make sure you invest in decent ones as there really is a difference in quality and reliability (If you buy cheap stuff then it's likely they will break mid-haircut!).

Yes, I have look into Remington scc100, Philips DIY and wahl self cut those have good review so im thinking of getting either of them.
I got charged £16 for a haircut last time, it was absolutely ridiculous all she did was cut an inch or so off! :mad:

Thinking of buying some clippers and doing it myself but my mum is really against the idea, keeps telling me I'm going to totally screw it up and look like a retard for a few months.
I do!
Reply 57
All I get is an 8 on the top and 4 on the back & sides when I go, so I was thinking about buying a clipper and doing it myself in future. Not sure about evening out the sides and top though, be more difficult than simply sliding the clipper along.
I cut my own hair too, but seeing as I just buzz it, it's not very impressive.

Completely agree with this. I personally use a Philips which is great. But make sure that you know that the settings of 1,2,3 etc on a home cutter won't be the same as a hairdressers 1 2 or 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending