The Student Room Group

What's your best charity shop find?

Hello thrifty folk of TSR :smile:

Today I found this

FCUK dress in the Cancer Research shop for 7 pounds; the website said it should have been £115!

This has inspired me to make this thread. :biggrin: What's the best thing you've ever found in a charity or second-hand shop?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A leather handbag made in Italy for £3.
Reply 2
Original post by __IWalkTheLine
Hello thrifty folk of TSR :smile:

Today I found this

FCUK dress in the Cancer Research shop for 7 pounds; the website said it should have been £115!

This has inspired me to make this thread. :biggrin: What's the best thing you've ever found in a charity or second-hand shop?

Brand new Hobbs winter coat £10. Or a gorgeous, black, Laura Ashley jacket £8

Nice dress!
Reply 3
What charity shops do you go to?!?!?!
Reply 4
Original post by Sadsnail
What charity shops do you go to?!?!?!

Haha, you'd be surprised at the stuff you can find amongst all the tat. :biggrin: Even when I used to go to ones not even in town or anything.

There's a few around Edinburgh that are quite good. The dress is from cancer research. :smile:
A burberry trench coat for £15
Reply 7
A really great place to pick up women...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I swear the only things in charity shops for men are XL :frown:
Reply 9
Navy blue crombie with a mink collar for £25 :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by kaylafrances

very beatuful
Reply 11
A BNWT Ted Baker dress for £10 should have been well over £100 I believe.
Reply 12
That dress is stunning!

I got a gorgeous River Island dress for £7, which I've had a lot of compliments on, that's pretty much the only time I've been in a charity shop to look for clothes though :tongue: Might have a rummage around when I'm in town tomorrow :smile:
Reply 13
I actually got my prom dress from a charity shop :tongue:
I think it was 100% silk or something, really great dress, got it for £25 :tongue: (They were gonna sell it for like £90, but I was volunteering there on weekends, and my boss loved me :tongue:)
Original post by kaylafrances

NO WAY?!?!?!?!?!!! WHERE?
I am literally like this: :zomg:
Original post by ImSoIndieItHurts
NO WAY?!?!?!?!?!!! WHERE?
I am literally like this: :zomg:

hahaha a cancer research shop
Reply 16
A bunch of TM Lewin shirts, sealed in TM Lewin packaging. £3 each.

Enough cedarwood shoe trees for my entire shoe collection, £4/pair (normally something like £40).

A Ted Baker suit, £9 (normally a couple of hundred quid, at least).

And my best one?

A Paul Smith blazer, probably worth 3 or 4 hundred quid, £15.

It's unbelievable that people have the sort of money where they don't mind taking that sort of stuff to the charity shop.
Original post by Kaykee93
I actually got my prom dress from a charity shop :tongue:
I think it was 100% silk or something, really great dress, got it for £25 :tongue: (They were gonna sell it for like £90, but I was volunteering there on weekends, and my boss loved me :tongue:)

I love hearing that people have bought things like prom dresses second hand! It's sort of just a given that people are going to spend ridiculous amounts of money on it - like me :sigh: - so it's cool to hear that people have managed to pick up something nice, that no-one else will have, for a lot cheaper. :yes:
Footy Shirts are my forte at the mo!
I did volunteer work in a charity shop before, and while I never found anything for myself, there were some amazing baby clothes that I got for my little cousin. A brand new GORGEOUS Ralph Lauren dress for her for €2... my god. I can't imagine that people actually throw stuff like that away when it's not even worn.

The women who worked there said that it happened quite a bit regularly before the recession hit and a lot of people obviously became much more careful with their money. I don't really shop in charity shops though, to be honest, just for me I don't like rooting, because I work in retail part-time and I don't enjoy shopping as much anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending