The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield all seem to do a broad range of subjects at a good level, all are Russell Group unis and the cities each have great nightlife.
Original post by internet tough guy
Hills, hills, hills :angry:

Sheff would be pretty much perfect if we were flat. Hills are annoying but on the flip side you get quite a bit of exercise on the way to lectures :smile:
Reply 2162
What is the most accurate universities ranking table??

I've seen QS etc
but most of them are not fare for every countries.

What can you say which is the most farist to UK, USA and every othere countries?
If there was one, we wouldn't have so many would we?
:wink:
Reply 2164
Original post by hslakaal
If there was one, we wouldn't have so many would we?
:wink:

In my opinion, many of universities ranking boards are biased to either UK or USA.
And most of them are for Masters and PhDs, not for Bachelors. :frown:
Reply 2165
Original post by 자음퀴즈
What is the most accurate universities ranking table??

I've seen QS etc
but most of them are not fare for every countries.

What can you say which is the most farist to UK, USA and every othere countries?

They are all based on different weightings. Supposedly the 'Academic Ranking of World Universities' league table doesn't have the UK/US bias that the others do, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is more accurate.
Original post by 자음퀴즈
In my opinion, many of universities ranking boards are biased to either UK or USA.
And most of them are for Masters and PhDs, not for Bachelors. :frown:

The thing is though, in most cases, departments who do well in terms of postgraduate training tend to have similar standards for undergraduates.

Judging from your account name, I'm assuming you aren't very happy that many Korean unis aren't in the top places? If so, please do realise that Korean unis have little cultural diversity (which plays a role), low numbers of postgraduate students compared to many other countries, and that the universities' funding and endowment is minuscule compared to the UK and US unis.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2167
Original post by hslakaal
The thing is though, in most cases, departments who do well in terms of postgraduate training tend to have similar standards for undergraduates.

Judging from your account name, I'm assuming you aren't very happy that many Korean unis aren't in the top places? If so, please do realise that Korean unis have little cultural diversity (which plays a role), low numbers of postgraduate students compared to many other countries, and that the universities' funding and endowment is minuscule compared to the UK and US unis.

Haha you misunderstood what I'm saying
I don't really care whether korean unis are in top or bottom.

But!
problem is ... as you know, for instance, QS is biased to UK unis.
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011
As you can see from this link, ICL is at 6th and UCL is at 7th. lol
you can enter ICL if you get only A*A*A and UCL by A*A*A.

However, most of the unis in the USA wants APs, SAT1, SAT2, EC and GPA.
Original post by JaumQuiz

Do you think that could possibly be because A-levels are the standard qualification for much of the UK and we don't even do APs, SAT1, 2, 3 or whatever?

But!
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

So what you're saying is entry requirements/student entrance grades should be a larger influence. If you argue that way, what about unis such as Hong Kong, which accept all? And let us not forget US doesn't only take the tests you've mentioned. Besides, it is trivially easy to score 800 in SAT1 and 2s, if one puts a bit of effort in.

Also, not sure whether you've applied to any unis, but good luck writing a competitive application (personal statement and reference) without a solid EC and outstanding "GPA" for UCL or Imperial.

One last thing. Please do note, that the rankings change every year, and if you really drill down into it, there are more American unis in the top 50 than the other countries' combined in many rankings.

But!

America is so GREAT!

EVERYTHING is better there: food, health care, universities, police etc etc
Reply 2171
Original post by Frenchous
America is so GREAT!

Cheese...
Reply 2172
St. Andrews, Durham, King's College London, U of Bath, Edinburgh U.
Reply 2173
Original post by Frenchous
America is so GREAT!

Haha someone's a bit idealistic. Really? Health care in America is among the worst in the western world. Food? We're the fattest. I'm with you on the Unis but what is it that makes our police so great? I think you've been watching too much CSI.
Original post by Do4Rubi

St Andrews> King's>> Edinburgh>>>>>>>>Durham/Bath
Reply 2175
Original post by Tsunami2011
St Andrews> King's>> Edinburgh>>>>>>>>Durham/Bath

Pretty accurate. Its interesting that in domestic terms though, Durham>>Bath>>>>St Andrews>>>Edinburgh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kings
Original post by Do4Rubi

Ignore tha crap the 2 above put up there.

Based on international prestige, the order is:

Edinburgh/King's College London >>>> Durham/St Andrews >> Bath
Domestically, they are all in the same bracket. That is the bracket behind the G5, maybe even only behind the Top 4 (i.e. G5 minus UCL).
Original post by LutherVan
Ignore tha crap the 2 above put up there.

Based on international prestige, the order is:

Edinburgh/King's College London >>>> Durham/St Andrews >> Bath

King's is not more prestigious than St Andrews in the states fo'sure. Get real bro.
Original post by Tsunami2011
King's is not more prestigious than St Andrews in the states fo'sure. Get real bro.

I take it you are American?

You will be shocked to know the world continues beyond Vermont in the East, California in the West, Canada in the North and Mexico in the South.

So when we say international, we don't stop at USA.

Latest

Trending

Trending