The Student Room Group

I think my liver is TRASHED.

ok i was trying to figure out these breathing problems for a while. Not shortness of breath but can't allways breathe in properly.. I am thinking it must be my liver now.

I also am getting more and more bloat lately, sometimes i will have night sweats, i have had a couple of times where bits of my skin have gone yellow breifly. I know that jaundice is a big warning sign of crisosis.

im gonna have x-ray tomorrow and arrange blood tests, assuming the blood tests will show how my liver is..

Yeah, i'm not an alcoholic, i dont drink every day but i have been a real binge drinker for years and years. I can easily go through 10 + pints and mix LOTS of spirits on top of that.

so given these symptons that have been going on for a few weeks i wonder if i have any chance to recover my liver? I guess the best chance is if eat nothing but salads for a while. The last time i got trashedon vodka and beer was 3 weeks ago and i have had one or two quiet beers since then but after getting more symptons that seem to match with serious liver problem i will not drink anymore i dont think.
Reply 1
The Liver is the only Organ that can completely regenerate after being damaged. If you stop drinking, then all damage can be repaired over time.
Original post by Jugman
The Liver is the only Organ that can completely regenerate after being damaged. If you stop drinking, then all damage can be repaired over time.

thanks thats reassuring i am stopping drinking now but I thought there was a point where the liver will stop repairing???

also i am looking at Milk Thistle as a poissible cure..
ok just realised this might be better in HEALTH section..
I think it is good for you to stop drinking alcohol.
Although small amount of alcohol do improve your health, but there are too many cases of abuse of alcohol in England I think...
I totally agree with your decision indeed
Original post by chwongkevin920
I think it is good for you to stop drinking alcohol.
Although small amount of alcohol do improve your health, but there are too many cases of abuse of alcohol in England I think...
I totally agree with your decision indeed

thanks
Reply 6
try not to drink any alcohol for a while, drink loads of water, have your 5 a day and exercise and you'll be fine! dont worry :smile:
Reply 7
Do a liver flush:

" In the usual “flush,” half a cup or more of a vegetable oil is consumed together with citrus juice and Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), usually after a brief fast"
Original post by Jarvie
Do a liver flush:

" In the usual “flush,” half a cup or more of a vegetable oil is consumed together with citrus juice and Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), usually after a brief fast"

really?? drinking half a cup of vegetable oil can't be good for liver surely...
The liver is never completely "regenerated" - it isn't electricity, nor is it a miracle.
Research cirrhosis. Your liver will attemp to repair itself however scarred tissue will inevitably build up over time.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cirrhosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"In the later stages, symptoms can include jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes), vomiting blood, dark, tarry-looking stools and a build-up of fluid in the legs and abdomen"
"...following symptoms:, fever and shivering, shortness of breath"
Seems to be a plausible explanation; you should visit your GP.
Original post by Jarvie
Do a liver flush:

That's ridiculous. Attempt to "cure" liver cirrhosis while inducing a heart attack. :hmmm:

:fight:
I am going to see the GP tomorrow afternoon regarding blood results. I don't know if it's possible to have cirrhosis and get a negative on the blood work.
The yellow skins has gone away for now (still some slight yellow in corner of eyes), some difficulty breathing in (not shortness of breath) and a slight ache around heart / lungs.
I noticed when the blood was being taken that the blood looked very DARK which maybe suggest blood is not being cleaned by liver properly? I am guessing cirrhosis at an early stage where I can still function but we will see what the doctor says tomorrow. Apparently there is a possibly of medicine in a few years that can destroy scar tissue. Otherwise i'm just waiting for my Milk Thistle / Liver Care remedies to arrive in the post.
Original post by GreatUnderachiever
I am going to see the GP tomorrow afternoon regarding blood results. I don't know if it's possible to have cirrhosis and get a negative on the blood work.
The yellow skins has gone away for now (still some slight yellow in corner of eyes), some difficulty breathing in (not shortness of breath) and a slight ache around heart / lungs.
I noticed when the blood was being taken that the blood looked very DARK which maybe suggest blood is not being cleaned by liver properly? I am guessing cirrhosis at an early stage where I can still function but we will see what the doctor says tomorrow. Apparently there is a possibly of medicine in a few years that can destroy scar tissue. Otherwise i'm just waiting for my Milk Thistle / Liver Care remedies to arrive in the post.

If your liver function test came back normal, that means there is absolutely nothing wrong with your liver. It is impossible to have cirrhosis and normal blood work. Also the dark blood is normal. Blood looks dark when it's being extracted, it certainly doesn't automatically mean you have high levels of bilirubin. I don't know if you have scar tissue but if your bloods were normal then it's unlikely anything is wrong.

If you still feel like you need to "detox" your liver, the eat plenty of fruit and veg, especially tomatoes and greens like cabbage. Green tea has also been proven to be hugely benificial to the liver, not only is it a powerful antioxident, it helps break down fat in the liver.
(edited 12 years ago)
OK, just got back, from the Doctor and my liver is fine (clean bill of health) apparently, all working normal :biggrin::eek: well im surprised but relieved..looks like i worried about nothing!

Quick Reply

Latest