The Student Room Group

Keele Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Has anyone heard anything from the university about NHS bursaries, by the way?
Original post by SDas

Hi, I have been led to believe that only fifth year med students get the NHS bursary!!:confused:
:smile:
Original post by SDas

NHS bursaries are available in 5th year if doing 5 year course. If doing graduate entry NHS bursary available in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by metachic
thanks for replying :smile:

are the premier en-suites available to freshers? i see there's one for 33 weeks.. but that's a lot of packing and unpacking @_@

:O the bus is free! that is definitely music to my ears! it will make life a whole lot easier lol

Yesss the premier en suites are available to freshers :smile: hmm yeah you do have to completely empty your room for 4 weeks over easter and then move back in again, but it's a double bed and you can lift it up and there's lots of storage space underneath, so the majority of my stuff I've padlocked under the bed over easter!

Yep, its only free campus rides, but it means less walking yaaay! :smile:
Reply 1804
Original post by manderson
NHS bursaries are available in 5th year if doing 5 year course. If doing graduate entry NHS bursary available in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. Hope that helps! :smile:

Ahh, that does help, thank you :smile: the whole Student Finance business is an ordeal in itself.
Reply 1805
Hey all,

Firstly congrats to all those who have been offered places at Keele for 2012, looking forward to meeting you all :smile:

Anyhow i was wondering if anyone else has been a fool like myself and is entering as a graduate/ mature student? If so, where are you planning for accommodation?

I did talk to a lovely accommodation women at the visit day and she did mention a possible option of stating your over 21 and wouldn't mind living with those of a similar bracket. No offence school leavers but after 3 years of chronically abusing my liver at university already i wouldn't mind not entering university without the pressure of an army of freshers (That said i will happily accept any drinking challenge!)

Again congrats to all offered a place and join the facebook page mentioned in the post(s) above!
Reply 1806
Original post by nkaru
Hey all,

Firstly congrats to all those who have been offered places at Keele for 2012, looking forward to meeting you all :smile:

Anyhow i was wondering if anyone else has been a fool like myself and is entering as a graduate/ mature student? If so, where are you planning for accommodation?

I did talk to a lovely accommodation women at the visit day and she did mention a possible option of stating your over 21 and wouldn't mind living with those of a similar bracket. No offence school leavers but after 3 years of chronically abusing my liver at university already i wouldn't mind not entering university without the pressure of an army of freshers (That said i will happily accept any drinking challenge!)

Again congrats to all offered a place and join the facebook page mentioned in the post(s) above!

Hi, I am in the same boat and have taken the plunge via another degree (also at Keele) so am a little older. Its reassuring to know that there are others who will not be hitting freshers week quite so hard this time!

The nicest accommodation on campus by far is Oaks, the rooms are all en suite and very modern, there are also some areas to avoid like the plague! If you are looking off campus there are some nice places in a good location on this web site:
http://www.keelestudenthouses.com/kingsfield-road-6-beds.html
Hope this helps, and congrats to all so far!
Reply 1807
has anyone received application forms for accommodation yet? :s-smilie:
has anyone received application forms for accommodation yet? :s-smilie:

If i recall correctly, last year we never got accommodation forms until real late. Like end of August, beginning of September time.

EDIT: according to the website it's from April time...hmmm i wonder what we got so late on last year, can't remember. Sorry :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys! Thought i'd come back to catch up with you guys, have so much schoolwork never got time to do this earlier :P Hows everyone getting on anyways? :smile:

And quick question to anyone that has a notion, what's the student life like in keele? Is there much going on there and such? I know it's not particularly important, I'm just curious :biggrin:
Original post by JenMed
Hi, I am in the same boat and have taken the plunge via another degree (also at Keele) so am a little older. Its reassuring to know that there are others who will not be hitting freshers week quite so hard this time!

The nicest accommodation on campus by far is Oaks, the rooms are all en suite and very modern, there are also some areas to avoid like the plague! If you are looking off campus there are some nice places in a good location on this web site:
http://www.keelestudenthouses.com/kingsfield-road-6-beds.html
Hope this helps, and congrats to all so far!

Hi, I'm not graduate entry but I am a mature student!! I am looking towards barns or oaks!! They are really nice! It is really nice to know there are more mature students! :-)
Reply 1811
Original post by Phil90974
Hi, I am most likely going to be applying in 2013 and am seeking some advice. On the Keele website it says AAA/A*AB - when you are given your offer, can it be either of the two, or are you told what one you need to meet. Sorry if that sounds a bit weird haha.

The exact wording of offer is "a minimum of 360 UCAS tariff points from 3 A-Levels excluding General Studies with no grade below B".

So that equates to standard A-Levels of AAA/A*AB.

Remember, though, this is this year's standard offer, but it may change for next year. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 1812
Original post by nikkiekemp77
Hi, I'm not graduate entry but I am a mature student!! I am looking towards barns or oaks!! They are really nice! It is really nice to know there are more mature students! :-)

Barns and Oaks are both quite nice, but Oaks has been refurbished recently so is the most up to date, and has best clothes washing facilities ect...
I am not doing Grad entry either, I was worried there would be too much of a knowledge gap between what I did in Bio Med and 2nd year medicine, so doing the full 5 years too! I was worried I would stick out like a sore thumb surrounded by 18 year olds (no offence, I just can't keep up), just want to get started now :smile:
Original post by JenMed
Barns and Oaks are both quite nice, but Oaks has been refurbished recently so is the most up to date, and has best clothes washing facilities ect...
I am not doing Grad entry either, I was worried there would be too much of a knowledge gap between what I did in Bio Med and 2nd year medicine, so doing the full 5 years too! I was worried I would stick out like a sore thumb surrounded by 18 year olds (no offence, I just can't keep up), just want to get started now :smile:

I would most definately not be able to keep up!! I'm in bed by ten haha! Been there done that but good luck to all there now :smile: I am in my 30's so I am expecting to be mistaken for most of the students mum! Haha so I do worry about sticking out!! But I worked just as hard getting here so I am proud of myself! I worked as an AED nurse for nine years so I'm looking forward to the crossover from nurse to doctor!! :smile:
For better 18 19 freshers experience i defiantly recommend Lindsay court (en suit) or possibly Holly Cross (as they both have bigger kitchens for predrinks) as accommodation. Definitely worth the extra cost. As Barnes is for 3rd years, Horthorns is a trek from anywhere and a dump, Horwood and Oaks has most of the mature and international lot and you have to be Ray Mears to live in lindsay halls.
(edited 11 years ago)
What accommodation are you all going to apply for?

I'm tempted to go for Barnes, but i'm scared that i'm going to be the only 1st year there!
Reply 1816
Original post by ihatesigningup
For better 18 19 freshers experience i defiantly recommend Lindsay court (en suit) or possibly Holly Cross (as they both have bigger kitchens for predrinks) as accommodation. Definitely worth the extra cost. As Barnes is for 3rd years, Horthorns is a trek from anywhere and a dump, Horwood and Oaks has most of the mature and international lot and you have to be Ray Mears to live in lindsay halls.

Oh wow! This is definitely very insightful :biggrin:

How long is the walk from Oaks to the medical campus? It seems like a huge trek when looking at the campus map :s-smilie:

Original post by Luke0011
What accommodation are you all going to apply for?
I'm tempted to go for Barnes, but i'm scared that i'm going to be the only 1st year there!

Apparently Barnes is only offered to third year students anyway so the chance of getting a place is low..

--

On another note, has anyone heard about accommodation yet? Or CRBs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1817
On another note, has anyone heard about accommodation yet? Or CRBs?

I emailed the folks at accommodation, and they said I should hear from them in a few weeks (which seems a bit late, all my other friends at other unis have already sorted their accommodation out).

I've heard nothing about CRB checks from Keele.
Does anyone else think £123 per week for ensuite is ridiculously expensive?
Reply 1819
Original post by KopKingAndy
Does anyone else think £123 per week for ensuite is ridiculously expensive?

Yes! The best en-suite accommodation at Keele was only £92 a week 3 years ago, the price has gone up incredibly fast with no improvement in the rooms! It is much much cheaper to rent privately, in my 2nd and 3rd year I had a detached 4 bedroom house with garage and garden and top spec kitchen for only £66 a week in Keele. So if at all possible try and get a group, maybe some others on this thread, and rent off campus!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending