The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway vs. Birkbeck (politics)

Basiscally I've applied to both Royal Holloway and Birkbeck to study politics. I was chatting to a cousin of mine whose been through the uni process and he recommended that I researched the links each uni's politics department had to political parties and other relevant institutions.

If anyone knows any for either Birkbeck or Royal Holloway I'd be really grateful if you could share it with me. :smile:

Thanks,

Sami
I study at Birkbeck, but not political science. I study law. Let me know if you need any general info.
ps. not sure where it stands on the political studies front but Birkbeck School of Law is one of the Frankfurt Schools. and I have a suspicion the whole uni is. Which is great for me, might not be right for you, depending on your political persuasion.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Why would politics departments have links to political parties? :s-smilie:

/Politics graduate.

maybe Sami means more about political affiliation rather than actual association...but we'll see what the reply is :-0
Reply 4
i strongly advise against royal holloway. you'll be stuck in a ****ty town called egham (which is basically a prison) and will have to walk up a sweaty hill every day for uni
(edited 12 years ago)
i could be wrong but with Birbeck arent most of the classes in the evening as its more for mature students and working ones?
Classes at Birkbeck are days and evenings depending on the subject. One of my friends studies MA Philosophy and that's in the day. I study LLB and that's in the eves. It is for mature students but to be honest, it's much more mixed. I'm in second year LLB and my class is mostly 19-22 year olds. Birkbeck says you can only work a max of 20 hours a week, but on the full time courses people don't seem to work at all.
Original post by pube
i strongly advise against royal holloway. you'll be stuck in a ****ty town called egham (which is basically a prison) and will have to walk up a sweaty hill every day for uni

Oh come now, you're only walking up Egham hill if you choose to live in a house down there, or if you commute by train. That's your own fault.
Birkbeck may give you more opportunities to hear from politicians at events in London, for example organised by the various political societies or other London universities.
Reply 9
Original post by tabshiftspace
maybe Sami means more about political affiliation rather than actual association...but we'll see what the reply is :-0

Yes, affiliation would've been a better word :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Oh come now, you're only walking up Egham hill if you choose to live in a house down there, or if you commute by train. That's your own fault.
if you don't get halls or if you're a second year you're forced to live private. egham in general is a ****hole, the town is just students and old people. during holidays it's literally ghost town (understandable, who would want to spend their holidays in egham).

the night life is ridiculous. you have 3 options: medicine, SU, or monkeys forehead.

medicine is garbage, nothing goes on there. SU is pretty whack too, a student will buy all the tickets then sell em for ridiculous prices. and monkeys don't let people drink outside past 11.

hall parties here are the worst. people just drink and sit around a kitchen table.

i'm doing OP a favour here, i genuinely do not want this person to suffer like my friends have this year. i gave my friend a visit in plymouth uni and the student life there is 200x better, this uni is a joke. i had no choice but to come here (clearing), same with my neighbours/other friends.

edit: oh and they're really strict on attendance. your timetable will be full of 9am lectures and if you miss like 3 in a row they give you a formal warning. do NOT go to royal holloway. i'm only surviving because i've formed my own lil stoner group, and we're pulling through together. one of my housemates goes home every weekend because he can't stand how **** eggland is

i repeat, do NOT choose royal holloway. the only good thing about egham is cameron the dominoes manager, gives you free food if you beg-friend him well enough (the guy is our unsung legend)
(edited 12 years ago)
I have to admit, we have amazing contacts at Birkbeck. eg. so far this term I have had visiting lectures from Baroness Hale and Lord Justice Etherton. My mooting teacher is the director of the CQC. So they have very prestigious (or highly regarded) contacts. I really know nothing about Royal Holloway but I can tell you, being on the University of London Bloomsbury campus is amazing. Right in the centre of the city - UCL, Birkbeck, SOAS, School of Advanced Studies, Sch of Hygiene & Trop Med, Inst of Education - they all share that campus and you can pretty much use each other's facilities. We have our own cinema, several uni bars etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending