The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
I wonder if that means they will contact people today or whether the decision was made today but emails will be sent out later. Either way, I guess we can presume if we haven't heard anything by the end of next week (roughly) we didn't get our first choice! eek :/
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 3001
My first choice college did not contact me to tell me I had been unsuccessful, I had to contact them.
Reply 3002
Original post by ACC_21
I wonder if that means they will contact people today or whether the decision was made today but emails will be sent out later. Either way, I guess we can presume if we haven't heard anything by the end of next week (roughly) we didn't get our first choice! eek :/

That is probably a safe assumption. The internal deadline is for the Colleges to notify the University of their decision, so I expect it may take a while beyond this to communicate outcomes to candidates.
Reply 3003
I just wish they were consistent - sending us all emails or all paper letters , notifying us all of rejections instead of notifying some and others just receiving (not first choice) college offers seemingly out of the blue .... *sigh*
Reply 3004
I agree some certainty would be nice but it would be difficult to be consistent given the collegiate system. The Cambridge application system seems somewhat more robust in this regard.
Original post by HLS
My first choice college did not contact me to tell me I had been unsuccessful, I had to contact them.

At least they did tell you though; mine is 'unable' to inform me of anything and although I have a sneaky suspicion that my application's been returned to the faculty, I really dont think I should bother the department any more than I have already.
Reply 3006
Original post by cyberpoet
At least they did tell you though; mine is 'unable' to inform me of anything and although I have a sneaky suspicion that my application's been returned to the faculty, I really dont think I should bother the department any more than I have already.

Mine were reluctant but I have a habit of getting people to tell me things that I want to know!
Reply 3007
I envy you folk all talking about colleges and their decision deadlines already...

I am a January applicant and still waiting to hear decision from the university/department! Grrr...
Hello all,

To preempt the next admissions cycle slightly, what sort of essays have applicants sent to fulfil the criteria of two 2,000 word essays?

I.e., do people submit pieces they have handed in in their second or third years, or are entirely unique ones written? And what would be an acceptable deviation from the wordcount?

Thanks!
Reply 3009
Original post by ExeterHistStudent
Hello all,

To preempt the next admissions cycle slightly, what sort of essays have applicants sent to fulfil the criteria of two 2,000 word essays?

I.e., do people submit pieces they have handed in in their second or third years, or are entirely unique ones written? And what would be an acceptable deviation from the wordcount?

Thanks!

Personally, I sent essays that I was writing at the time for university. I wasnt sure about the word count either so I wrote essays around 2500-3000 words and wrote "(2000 WORDS HERE)" at the 2000 point so they could keep reading if they wanted :smile:
Original post by ACC_21
Personally, I sent essays that I was writing at the time for university. I wasnt sure about the word count either so I wrote essays around 2500-3000 words and wrote "(2000 WORDS HERE)" at the 2000 point so they could keep reading if they wanted :smile:

Sly :tongue:
Reply 3011
well the website said "approx 2000 words " or "extract from longer essay" - I found a compromise between the two :smile:
Original post by Noldorin
I envy you folk all talking about colleges and their decision deadlines already...

I am a January applicant and still waiting to hear decision from the university/department! Grrr...

Sorry about that and hope you hear soon. Which course did you apply to?
Sly :tongue:

many people do that. Our department told us that they simply don't read more.
Thanks all
Reply 3015
Hello all,

Thanks!

I sent two essays, one 2,000 and one 3,000. Ordinarily if you send two essays to the History department they need to be ~2,000 words each. However you can send one longer essay of up to 5,000.

Both of my essays were written in what was (chronologically) my second year but I did not take any second year modules (my entire degree was composed of final year modules).

I recall from the Humanities open day that the essays are not required to be those you have submitted during your degree.
Hello all,

Thanks!

I've sent one third year essay and an unfinished chapter of my dissertation that I was still writing. I chose these two pieces since I believed they demonstrated originality in subject and methodology. Since my essay already had a 2000 word limit it worked out. The chapter was slightly over it, like 300 words.
Reply 3017
Original post by k.i.ivanov
Hey Rams,

I am also very much at ease with Wolfson being the college that has offered me a place! :smile: it's truly a piece of heaven away from the hustle and bustle of the town centre :wink: As to the accommodation provided on-site, there's plenty of choice and I remember distinctively I had a hard time filling in the form (so yes, I've applied already!) :smile: How about you? Are going for the newer buildings or the slightly less state-of-the-art ones?

I put in my preference for a flat in the main building.....it looks like they may have the best views. What about you?

So I was a little concerned about accommodation because couple acco is kind of limited. But it's allocated on a first come first serve basis, and the college has told me I was the first person to have applied! So fairly confident I will get the flat of my choice....:smile:

Now if only I were so lucky with funding...
Reply 3018
Hello all,

Thanks!

One of my essays was an assignment I had submitted for a previous course I had taken and was 1900 words. The other essay was something I had written at work and was 2400 words. I chose these two piece because (a) the topics were very closely related to the field I was studying in (b) they were well-written and had received very good feedback (c) they kind of re-emphasised that both the courses I had taken and the work I had done was closely related to the field I was studying in.

Many of the academics I know don't take kindly to the word limit being exceeded so I would stick to max 2500 words.
Original post by ACC_21

If they did that (stop at 2000 words) they would be unable to see your conclusion and evaluate the overall strength of the essay, so I hope they did not do that :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending