The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Does it matter if you meet the grade offer but significantly miss your predictions? Will the tutors care?
Reply 1121
Original post by crazychef
Does it matter if you meet the grade offer but significantly miss your predictions? Will the tutors care?

No.

Nope don't see why they would - you meet the offer, you're in :smile:
I suppose if it happened loads with one school they might start thinking that the school was inflating grade predictions for future candidates. Bit unlikely though.

The UCAS offer is a legally binding contract - if you achieve all the grades specified they have to take you. This applies to every University, including Oxford, so there can be no practical consequences. The tutors might care to the extent that it might be an indicator that having received an AAA offer a candidate then slacks off and doesn't get the A* grades they were predicted - that could mean bad work habits have been developed or that the passion for the subject shown at interview was faked or has since waned. In practice, though, most tutors don't go back to the predictions when the results come out so it's unlikely to be noticed.
do most colleges have wifi in the accommodation?
Reply 1125
Original post by fudgesundae

Merton didn't until recently, but there's some new wifi system that (I think) is being rolled out across the university, and possibly even across multiple universities, and at Merton at least that includes accomodation. Bring an ethernet cable anyway, though.
Original post by dbmag9
Merton didn't until recently, but there's some new wifi system that (I think) is being rolled out across the university, and possibly even across multiple universities, and at Merton at least that includes accomodation. Bring an ethernet cable anyway, though.

okay thanks :smile:

I can't speak for other Colleges but Somerville has an ethernet (wired) connection in every room and college-wide wi-fi so you can connect from anywhere within the College grounds.
When applying for student finance, do you enter the college as the university or is it just 'OXFORD UNIVERSITY'
Reply 1129
When applying for student finance, do you enter the college as the university or is it just 'OXFORD UNIVERSITY'

Just Oxford.
Original post by dbmag9
Just Oxford.

:O I put down Merton College, Oxford University then the address of Merton College. Do you think this will be a problem?

Edit: Also, how many people on average share a bathroom at Merton? I haven't been able to find any info on the website.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dbmag9
Just Oxford.

Thanks, when I went in it had my course and just Oxford so just wanted to check whether this was a mistake.
Reply 1132
Original post by confused dot com
:O I put down Merton College, Oxford University then the address of Merton College. Do you think this will be a problem?

Edit: Also, how many people on average share a bathroom at Merton? I haven't been able to find any info on the website.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

As a first-year, on my floor there are two bathrooms (each with a shower) between six; that's probably fairly standard for first-year rooms. Some of the higher-year rooms are en suite, though whether you'd get one depends on position in the room ballot.
Reply 1133
Basically, what I didn't understand is if, in your application, you have just to transcript your grades or you have to send an official paper.
Not because I want to lie about them, but because in my ed. system (Italy) we have also mid-term grades in the official transcript (and mine, as you can imagine, are not so good), so I would be very pleased if I could send only a personal transcript, maybe to be verified only under request...
Can anyone who has applied help me?

Thank you very much

EDIT: Now I saw the UCAS application form, and I see that, due to my certificate, I can type only "pending" modules and predicted grades. Does it mean that Oxford will consider me only by my predicted grades, personal statement and reference?
(edited 11 years ago)
I was just wondering, how does it work with gym memberships at Oxford? Is there a gym just for the university that's free (or if not what is the cost) or is there just a general gym that anyone can join (if so how much is it)?

Also if anyone has any experience on what the gym/s is/are like then that would be helpful!
Reply 1135
Original post by espanolita
I was just wondering, how does it work with gym memberships at Oxford? Is there a gym just for the university that's free (or if not what is the cost) or is there just a general gym that anyone can join (if so how much is it)?

Some colleges (Merton!) have a college gym which will likely be small and free, some do not. Some of the ones which do not will subsidise costs at a regular gym, or the university gym, as far as I know.

Also if anyone has any experience on what the gym/s is/are like then that would be helpful!

I think most colleges nowadays have their own gym, which would be free. For example, Merton's (limited view in the photo). The university one is bigger and available to join, and i think a number of the colleges without gyms would get discounted/free membership for its members. I should say though, even this gym is very small compared to any gym i've been in before. There is a small photo here - that is literally all of the cardio and weights equipment in that gym.

There are other, expensive private gyms around the city.
(edited 11 years ago)

Colleges tend to have their own very small ones (Queen's does) which are free and the university has one that you pay for. Honestly, it's not great- personally, I go to the gym at Brooke's, which is nicer and pretty cheap at £20 a month. If you end up living over the Magdalen bridge, it's a decent option but probably too far otherwise.
Reply 1138

Further to what others have said, some colleges' students have free membership for the Iffley Road (i.e. main university) facilities, so it might be worth looking into which ones offer that. (I know Magdalen does and I'm sure there are others too.)
Thank you everyone! You've been really helpful :biggrin:

Quick Reply