The Student Room Group

Most annoying thing people do at University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chris22
People who leave there computers unattended in the library for ages, when there are no other free. If you're going to leave the computer for such a long time, log off and let someone else use it!!!!!

Pisses me off too! Like German tourists who leave their towells on sun lounges and bugger off and dont use it all day
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
There's a woman in one of my classes that is dyslexic and needs some extra help, which is fair enough. But she abuses this to the max. I swear to god she is treated like she is fully disabeled. TBH it's not the free laptop she got, it's not the free £120 smart pen that records what you write that she got, it's not an unlimited supply of yellow paper she gets whilst others have to pay for their own pads and sometimes even notes. It's not the fact she has gets to park her car on campus, whilst everyone else needs to park 20 miles aways. It's not the fact that she is allowed to walk in late to a lecture and demand that I move from my seat because this is the only seat she can clearly see and read the board from (despite there being a vacant seat next to me). It's not even the fact that she is a mature student and only found out she had dyslexia last year, depite being in education about a billion times and now all of a sudden she is treated like she has a severe disability because well let's face she merely finds it slightly harder to read than the rest of us. No it's not any of those things.

What annoys me is that despite only being dyslexic that she gets to choose when she sits an exam, it's the fact that she will have a lecturer spend the whole class tutoring her and thus having no time for anyone else. It's the fact that she is allowed extra tutorials for an exam. It's the fact that all her lecturers barring one will give in to any request she makes. The other day we had an exam on single phase systems, and it's decently difficult stuff, but we had 3 months to prepare for it. However she asked to have an extra week to revise and despite the class lecturer telling her no, the head of department overrulled this and allowed her the extra week. And it get's worse, in the exam you are told specifically to use equations such as voltage division in complex form etc, you are able to find the answer without doing this, but if you do not do it this way and still get the answers right you will not get the marks. Which is quite right as the whole point of that module is to learn these various forms of calculation. But according to her she it's 'too difficult for her to understand' and has asked our lecturer that she be exempt from doing it this way and should be allowed to do it the easier way. However my lecturer was having none of it, and told her no, in a polite manner. He explained if he let her get away with doing the exam the easy way, when she goes into industry and is told to make calculations, they will not bend the rules for her, and she cannot work to the standard they need her to work, then she wont keep the job very long. Too which she was furious and told him he was being unfair and didn't aknowledge her "disability" and then told him to '**** off, you baldy bastard'. He then asks her to leave the class, but she goes to the head of department, makes up some cock and bull sob story that she constantly uses about how unfair it is that she has a "disability" and has too much going on in her life to study as she is a single mum, blah blah blah load of old *******s. Anyway long story short, the head of department is going to allow her to take the exam the way she wants to take the exam. And because my single phase lecturer refused to give her the marks is she doesn't do it properly, the head of department will mark it instead. Which means she will gain the same qualification as me and the rest of my class despite not doing the same level of work. :facepalm:

That puts in mind me of a girl I knew in school. She claimed she had dyspraxia so she needed a laptop for taking all her notes in class and doing her exams, which was fair enough. But I sat behind her in class and all she did was go on facebook on her laptop for the entire two hours of the lesson then bitched when she didn't pass and blamed it on her dyspraxia >__>
Reply 522
There's a woman in one of my classes that is dyslexic and needs some extra help, which is fair enough. But she abuses this to the max. I swear to god she is treated like she is fully disabeled. TBH it's not the free laptop she got, it's not the free £120 smart pen that records what you write that she got, it's not an unlimited supply of yellow paper she gets whilst others have to pay for their own pads and sometimes even notes. It's not the fact she has gets to park her car on campus, whilst everyone else needs to park 20 miles aways. It's not the fact that she is allowed to walk in late to a lecture and demand that I move from my seat because this is the only seat she can clearly see and read the board from (despite there being a vacant seat next to me). It's not even the fact that she is a mature student and only found out she had dyslexia last year, depite being in education about a billion times and now all of a sudden she is treated like she has a severe disability because well let's face she merely finds it slightly harder to read than the rest of us. No it's not any of those things.

What annoys me is that despite only being dyslexic that she gets to choose when she sits an exam, it's the fact that she will have a lecturer spend the whole class tutoring her and thus having no time for anyone else. It's the fact that she is allowed extra tutorials for an exam. It's the fact that all her lecturers barring one will give in to any request she makes. The other day we had an exam on single phase systems, and it's decently difficult stuff, but we had 3 months to prepare for it. However she asked to have an extra week to revise and despite the class lecturer telling her no, the head of department overrulled this and allowed her the extra week. And it get's worse, in the exam you are told specifically to use equations such as voltage division in complex form etc, you are able to find the answer without doing this, but if you do not do it this way and still get the answers right you will not get the marks. Which is quite right as the whole point of that module is to learn these various forms of calculation. But according to her she it's 'too difficult for her to understand' and has asked our lecturer that she be exempt from doing it this way and should be allowed to do it the easier way. However my lecturer was having none of it, and told her no, in a polite manner. He explained if he let her get away with doing the exam the easy way, when she goes into industry and is told to make calculations, they will not bend the rules for her, and she cannot work to the standard they need her to work, then she wont keep the job very long. Too which she was furious and told him he was being unfair and didn't aknowledge her "disability" and then told him to '**** off, you baldy bastard'. He then asks her to leave the class, but she goes to the head of department, makes up some cock and bull sob story that she constantly uses about how unfair it is that she has a "disability" and has too much going on in her life to study as she is a single mum, blah blah blah load of old *******s. Anyway long story short, the head of department is going to allow her to take the exam the way she wants to take the exam. And because my single phase lecturer refused to give her the marks is she doesn't do it properly, the head of department will mark it instead. Which means she will gain the same qualification as me and the rest of my class despite not doing the same level of work. :facepalm:

All the things you listed in the first paragraph are not actually controlled by the university, you do realise this? Before starting the course, she will have had to have had a medical assessment, and the assessors will have basically dictated to the university what she has to have - and, by law, they have to honour this.

"Fully disabled"? What the actual? Please define "fully disabled".

Anyway, If she gets to park her car on campus - for which, at every single university I spoke to when I was applying, you have to have a Blue Badge (since, for the most part, campuses use the same parking regulations as the rest of the outside world) - then it's highly unlikely that her only problem is dyslexia, since you can't even get a Blue Badge unless you've got some sort of physical problem that means you can't walk (hence the prioritised parking) very far/at all. Therefore, I would suggest that the opening of your second paragraph - "despite only being dyslexic" - is not only incorrect, but also offensive since you've made some pretty big assumptions about this person without thinking it through.

As for your second paragraph, how on earth do you know what this woman wants to do? Unless you've been in the meetings with her, there is no way you can ascertain whether she's demanded all these concessions, or whether they've been offered. And since we've already figured out that she's probably not "only... dyslexic" (since, y'know, while dyslexia is quite a recognised and non-embarrassing problem for most people, a lot of other health problems are much more personal), I would suggest that there's probably a very good reason for her having them. No university would let a student have free reign - whether you can see them all, or not, they have strict hierarchies and procedures that they have to stick to, however random and unfair it seems to you.

And, actually, I take back my previous posts. THIS is the most annoying thing that people do at university - make assumptions about other people without knowing the facts.
Reply 523
Yes they are controlled by the uni, I don't know how it works in your university but she gets disability allownace on saas and a disability allowance through the uni. (dyslexia is covered under this allowance)

I'm assuming that SAAS is the Scottish funding body? I'm in England, and here everyone (not just me, I have a lot of other disabled friends) has to go to an assessment centre where they interview you and then make their recommendations. Also, disability allowance is a completely separate entity from university.

Foghorn Leghorn
No she does only have dyslexia, she openly admits this. She doesn't have a blue badge and she gets to park on campus because she got freindly with one of the janitors and he lets her in every morning. We complained about this to our course leader but because he couldn't be bothered with the hassle he just brushed it off. The fact she coaches a girls football team and still plays 5 a side every weeks suggest there is absolutely nothing wrong with her legs!!! She is not disabeled I know this for an absolute fact

What the **** are you talking about, I know because she does this infront of us in class. She does demand because i've seen it. She hasn't been offered anything. Some of our lecturers have even started complaining because she's been given too much leeway for nothing and she has been told to stop taking tarntrums or she'll be thrown off the course. She isn't disabled, she has dyslexia I know this for an absolute fact! She can't do the work because, well quite frankly she isn't smart enough to do it, it's blatently obvious.

It isn't me that is making the assumptions here it is you. I'm in this persons class, I know her, I see what is going on. You on the other hand know absolutely nothing about this situation other than what I have wrote in this thread. Stop trying to act like a white knight. There are people out there that have genuine diabilities that don't get as much help as she does. Even her own friend has turned her back on her because she was milking the system. The course I'm doing is a joint university/college HNC most of which is taught in the Uni, but 3 modules are taught by a local partnership college and according to some lecturers in the college this is not the first time they've experienced this with her. She was at the college the previous year and was almost thrown out for the same **** she is pulling in uni. The fact that when she didn't get her way she started calling a lecturer a "baldy bastard" says it all really.

So I suggest you get of your high horse and YOU stop making assumptions and sticking up for someone that you do not know and attacking me about a situation you know absolutely nothing about!

The reason your original post annoyed me so much is because you forgot to mention all these key details. It's a bit unfair to write such a selective post - because, yes, I don't know all the details - and then complain I'm being over the top when you leave out key aspects. Because based on what you originally said, my comments were correct.

No she does only have dyslexia, she openly admits this.

How do you know she doesn't have some really embarrassing medical problem that she'd rather not speak about?

She is not disabeled I know this for an absolute fact

How? Or are you medically trained and have access to her medical records?

She isn't disabled, she has dyslexia I know this for an absolute fact!

Dyslexia is a disability.:rolleyes:

It isn't me that is making the assumptions here it is you.

So I suggest you get of your high horse and YOU stop making assumptions and sticking up for someone that you do not know and attacking me about a situation you know absolutely nothing about!

You're the only making assumptions. You don't have access to her records, which may state other problems she has.
Original post by OU Student
How do you know she doesn't have some really embarrassing medical problem that she'd rather not speak about?

How? Or are you medically trained and have access to her medical records?

Dyslexia is a disability.:rolleyes:

You're the only making assumptions. You don't have access to her records, which may state other problems she has.

Because jesus told me, that good enough for you?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 526
When your house mates room smells so vile the letting agent is sick into his own hand when he enters it.
Original post by Chris22
People who leave there computers unattended in the library for ages, when there are no other free. If you're going to leave the computer for such a long time, log off and let someone else use it!!!!!

This happens at college too, if they're left for an unreasonably long amount of time I just switch them off and back on again, or log them off if they haven't locked it. I've done it a few times particularly when I'm sat on a computer and the person next to me leaves and is still gone after half an hour in which time several people have come up to use the computer because all the others are taken before realising its logged in/locked.
Reply 528
I've got a new thing bugging me - people who list their promotion job as their proper occupation on Facebook or whatever, calling themselves an 'events manager'. You sell tickets to students for nightclubs and give out flyers, that is not a proper job!!
One thing that annoys me...people who wear tracksuit bottoms with flip flops..trying to look really casual and also not carrying a bag for their books...and holding it??
Reply 530
What really annoys me at Uni is in the graphic design studio at my uni people log onto the macs and then just bugger off for hours on end so you either

A: Can't get on a mac
B: Can't find 2-3 mac next to each other if you are working on a group project

It's so bloody irritating! Also it grinds me when people leave rubbish all over the work tables in the studio ffs it's our work space :frown: if you did that in the real world you'd get sacked! Also a worrying trend is people leaving discared craft knife blades on the guillotine, on tables etc it's already caused an accident this year.
Original post by Jiyeon
What really annoys me at Uni is in the graphic design studio at my uni people log onto the macs and then just bugger off for hours on end so you either

A: Can't get on a mac
B: Can't find 2-3 mac next to each other if you are working on a group project

It's so bloody irritating! Also it grinds me when people leave rubbish all over the work tables in the studio ffs it's our work space :frown: if you did that in the real world you'd get sacked! Also a worrying trend is people leaving discared craft knife blades on the guillotine, on tables etc it's already caused an accident this year.

i'd log them out
People have who have domestics with their partner/****buddy at 2 in the morning on the landing then start fighting breaking a bathroom mirror in the process.
They've already broken my kitchen door :frown: paha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 533
Original post by jelly1000
i'd log them out

I have done before but sometimes you see peoples work on there that they've spent ages on and I'm a softie I just don't have the heart to close somebodys stuff down cause I'd cry if it happened to me (though I'm not that selfish I'd just leave my stuff logged in when the studio is busy)...I'm TOO nice about these things some of my other coursemates just don't give a flying fart heh.
Original post by Iqbal007
When people are your friends one moment, and the next their not.............they use u cos they haven't got anyone else nearby

Them ignorant people that one day just stop replying back to your texts.
So eventually you call it a day,
until you see them in your seminar and they act like your best friend questioning why you havent hung out in ages.

I dont know, hmmm, after 3 days of inviting you out and getting no response, i sort of declined your invite for you. my bad.

The regular excuse is "i was asleep".
Ive only experienced this twice at Uni, but one of my friends went to a Uni and literally got so depressed how her friends would just blank her randomlly, all the time.
Shes one of the nicest girls i know, i don't understand how when people get to Uni there still not mature enough to say
"look, i don't want to be your friend. sorry."
Forget how fortunate they are to be there in the first place, and that many people in the world do not even get an education to GCSE level, many don't have the opportunity to learnt to read and write properly etc etc.
I have another i forgot to post. (this is the MOST annoying)
When you all come back home for the holidays, and you get that really annoying person who never stops talking about Uni.
You waste a good amount of your time pretending to listen to stories about people and places you dont know.
And its the same type of story, "yeah i got drunk last night blah blah"
Then they tell you how much they've changed and how independent they've become.
Although all they used to do back at home was get drunk all the time too.
Except now they're just doing it in a different postcode.
And there mum still sends down food money because they spent all there loan on alcohol.
Yeah your so independent and different these days.

Then you punch them in the face.
(Well wish you could)
Reply 537
Original post by natalieann1993
I have another i forgot to post. (this is the MOST annoying)
When you all come back home for the holidays, and you get that really annoying person who never stops talking about Uni.
You waste a good amount of your time pretending to listen to stories about people and places you dont know.
And its the same type of story, "yeah i got drunk last night blah blah"
Then they tell you how much they've changed and how independent they've become.
Although all they used to do back at home was get drunk all the time too.
Except now they're just doing it in a different postcode.
And there mum still sends down food money because they spent all there loan on alcohol.
Yeah your so independent and different these days.

Then you punch them in the face.
(Well wish you could)

You've just described my brother. :eek:

And I completely agree.
Original post by . .
You've just described my brother. :eek:

And I completely agree.

Mines a friend of mine. I know so much about his Uni friends, and how amazing Uni is and how great his Uni girlfriend is, I could probably write a book for him
About it and get every aspect right. It's so annoying. I'm at Uni (well was up until recently) myself. I really don't care about his Uni. People really need to learn to just keep it at. "it's really good, I'm enjoying myself" before the whole population dies of boredom.
Reply 539
Original post by natalieann1993
Mines a friend of mine. I know so much about his Uni friends, and how amazing Uni is and how great his Uni girlfriend is, I could probably write a book for him
About it and get every aspect right. It's so annoying. I'm at Uni (well was up until recently) myself. I really don't care about his Uni. People really need to learn to just keep it at. "it's really good, I'm enjoying myself" before the whole population dies of boredom.

Same.

It's the same whenever rings me to see how I'm doing ask for a "favour". He just talks about how amazing his life is and how independent he is yet I've had to lend him several hundred pounds because he can't manage his money.

Quick Reply

Latest