The Student Room Group

Edexcel a2 biology revision for the may/june 2012 exam :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by aqua05
aaaww... thanks so much ! :biggrin:
By the way what is the difference between accommodation and adaptation ?? :s-smilie:
they seem so similar

Accomodation and adaptation work at two different levels. Accomodation works at the level of neurotransmitter secretion, where vesicles can't regenerate more neurotransmitter to the next synapse. Adaptation works for at the receptor level where they get used to stimuli (generator potential decreases as impulses become more frequent)

Not sure if its right but this is what I learnt three weeks back.

Also can someone help me? Our teachers haven't taught us Unit 8 properly and Im afraid I might need help over everything in it. But theres no guide or site to help you with it. Can anyone please direct me to a good website or can help me with Unit 8? Thanks :smile:

One more thing: do people find the Personal Tutor (Clegg's) book helpful? It seems a lot of bullcrap written in it but it's helped me with mechanisms like macrophage as far as I know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just looked at some past paper stuff for unit 5, is it just me or is half of it not in the specification at all.
Has anyone else not even been given the article by their teachers yet or are mine just awfully bad?
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
Just looked at some past paper stuff for unit 5, is it just me or is half of it not in the specification at all.
Has anyone else not even been given the article by their teachers yet or are mine just awfully bad?

I know right :s-smilie:
It's more application though...we really have to think about the underlying topics when doing these questions
There's a thread which has the article on it, just type into the search: edexcel biology article
I prefer topic 8 to topic 7 :tongue:

err try khanacademy
Original post by This Honest
I know right :s-smilie:
It's more application though...we really have to think about the underlying topics when doing these questions
There's a thread which has the article on it, just type into the search: edexcel biology article

I downloaded the article myself in the end from edexcel, its just annoying how my schools left us in the dark!
Hmm I usually find the papers pretty easy but I just don't seen to understand any of this one even though I know pretty much all of the syllabus.
Reply 85
Is it me or has anyone else realised that you cant prepare answers except practicals for Unit 5 questions?? ...

Like for other units e.g you can prepare answers on speciation , succession and other short questons..it just doesnt work for unit 5 does it :s-smilie:
Reply 86
can anyone please post some questions for the scientific article?? pleaseeee!
Original post by ih8edexcel!
they are too many ill upload them once i get time :smile:

Hey I recognise you from the Unit 4 Edexcel bio thread, how did you do in that exam in the end can I ask??
We have had to print the article off in our own time, and our teachers still haven't even so much as mentioned anything about it yet. I'm so panicked, it's a third of the paper, why aren't they giving any guidance?! :zomg:
Reply 89
Original post by britchick
We have had to print the article off in our own time, and our teachers still haven't even so much as mentioned anything about it yet. I'm so panicked, it's a third of the paper, why aren't they giving any guidance?! :zomg:

That seems weird considering the weighting the article has! Plus I would have thought that Edexcel would have notified each centre to let them know that the article can be distributed to candidates. Well at least you've got it and can start highlighting/making notes and linking it to AS and A2 topics.
Original post by Cetacea
That seems weird considering the weighting the article has! Plus I would have thought that Edexcel would have notified each centre to let them know that the article can be distributed to candidates. Well at least you've got it and can start highlighting/making notes and linking it to AS and A2 topics.

I know that's what I thought :/ plus one of my teachers should not be in the job, she just makes us discuss topics in groups and do SNAB sheets/quizzes/mindmaps every lesson. Over the last 2 years she's only taught us twice, so unfair how much we have to teach ourselves :/
Can any 1 plzz post the link containing Januray 2012 Question papers,Mark scheme and Examiner's report of Biology,chemistry,physics and Maths???? plzzzzzzz
Reply 92
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
Can any 1 plzz post the link containing Januray 2012 Question papers,Mark scheme and Examiner's report of Biology,chemistry,physics and Maths???? plzzzzzzz

http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/edexcel-january-2012-question-papers-mark-schemes-all-gce.11898/
hey everybody im from hong kong and my school doesnt go GCE so im stuck with registering as a private candidate..

and i dont know half the stuff. :frown: photosynthesis, respiration and ecology are the only topics our school has covered so far..

besides a lot of stuff isnt in our local syllabus. so yeah, ive been using the SNAB thingy but why do i see so many topics appearing in the thread that i cannot find in the book? i wanna cry :frown:

Thank you sooo much.......:smile:

Guys ne predictions what CORE PRACTICAL might come for this year's Unit 6 in question no 1????????
Reply 95
can anyone please help me out in the humoral response,the effector stage and thecell mediated response in unit 4 please?
Reply 96
Original post by kitriviolet
hey everybody im from hong kong and my school doesnt go GCE so im stuck with registering as a private candidate..

and i dont know half the stuff. :frown: photosynthesis, respiration and ecology are the only topics our school has covered so far..

besides a lot of stuff isnt in our local syllabus. so yeah, ive been using the SNAB thingy but why do i see so many topics appearing in the thread that i cannot find in the book? i wanna cry :frown:

heeey there!
What i would suggest is go over the A2 specification for biology..
You should look at the stuff needed and then read the textbook... look for what you need to know and make short notes. that would definately help.! it has really helped me...
Go over loads of past papers as well.. that would build up your confidence :smile:
Good luck.
Original post by aqua05
can anyone please help me out in the humoral response,the effector stage and thecell mediated response in unit 4 please?

Well my tutor advised me to go through the text properly as it is quite clearly wriiten out there........
Anyone have any notes, potential questions or a glossary for the scientific article??
PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 99
Original post by This Honest
I prefer topic 8 to topic 7 :tongue:

err try khanacademy

i didnt like topic 8 that much.. so many new things, i know that it will be easy after we get the idea of the action potentials synapses etc but i guess i dont get the idea yet..
Khanacademy is cool :smile: i used it for biology unit 2 and it helped a lot.

Quick Reply