The Student Room Group

Does this sound like a good idea? MSc Digital Engineering - JOB

Basically, I'm in my final year of study doing a BEng in Electronics and Computer Engineering. I just missed out last year of converting to a MEng by 2%. This year I have being working a lot harder and made changes. The marks have gone up, and I just had my final exams. They felt pretty good.

I also made an application for the MSc which I got an offer back saying I could do it with a 2:2 instead of the orginal 2:1. This has kinda changed my plans as I was thinking of just trying to get a job afterwards.

After the exams I feel there may still be a chance of getting a 2:1 overall. It's going to be a close one. So I was thinking if I get the 2:1 to go for jobs, but if I get a 2:2 to go for the masters. As the increased chance of getting a job with a 2:1 is massive.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
If you can afford to do the masters, I would go for it regardless of whether you get a 2.1 or a 2.2.

I don't know what the specific job market you're going for is like, but it's pretty tough to get graduate jobs due to the shear number of graduates coupled with employers tightening belts.

We're in a double dip recession, so I, personally, would do the masters and think about jobs after. A masters is much better than a 2.1.
Reply 2
Original post by Aack
If you can afford to do the masters, I would go for it regardless of whether you get a 2.1 or a 2.2.

I don't know what the specific job market you're going for is like, but it's pretty tough to get graduate jobs due to the shear number of graduates coupled with employers tightening belts.

We're in a double dip recession, so I, personally, would do the masters and think about jobs after. A masters is much better than a 2.1.

I know the masters is better than a 2.1 but is it better than a 2.1 and minus nearly 12 grand on living and tuition? Will it pay for itself?
Sounds like you're pretty set to me.

Apply for jobs, if you get something particularly exceptional, high salary, high position, nice job, what you want to do, etc, then go for that. Otherwise you have the MSc to fall back on.
Reply 4
Think about requirements for Chartered Engineer, whether from BCS, IET or whichever institution. Most require Masters level qualification. I think your logic is sound wrt 2i and 2ii, but I would recommend that you do continue with an MSc at some point in your early career.

TBD

Original post by imhiya
Basically, I'm in my final year of study doing a BEng in Electronics and Computer Engineering. I just missed out last year of converting to a MEng by 2%. This year I have being working a lot harder and made changes. The marks have gone up, and I just had my final exams. They felt pretty good.

I also made an application for the MSc which I got an offer back saying I could do it with a 2:2 instead of the orginal 2:1. This has kinda changed my plans as I was thinking of just trying to get a job afterwards.

After the exams I feel there may still be a chance of getting a 2:1 overall. It's going to be a close one. So I was thinking if I get the 2:1 to go for jobs, but if I get a 2:2 to go for the masters. As the increased chance of getting a job with a 2:1 is massive.

Thoughts?
Reply 5
Original post by TBD
Think about requirements for Chartered Engineer, whether from BCS, IET or whichever institution. Most require Masters level qualification. I think your logic is sound wrt 2i and 2ii, but I would recommend that you do continue with an MSc at some point in your early career.

TBD

You do make a very good point about the Chartered status. Cheers!
Reply 6
Original post by imhiya
I know the masters is better than a 2.1 but is it better than a 2.1 and minus nearly 12 grand on living and tuition? Will it pay for itself?

I don't know much about the sort of jobs you would be looking at, so can't really comment.

But when most of Europe is in recession, I would suggest it's better to continue with your education (if you can afford to support yourself).

Quick Reply

Latest