The Student Room Group
University of York
York

accommodation

do you have to live in the college that houses your subject?
Not at all. I lived in James and my subject was over on the other campus by Goodricke! Loved it
University of York
York
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
I hope not, I'm looking at Vanbrugh which apparently houses music and arts, I'm studying Chemistry. Does this mean most music/arty people will be there?
Reply 4
Original post by CallieCat
I hope not, I'm looking at Vanbrugh which apparently houses music and arts, I'm studying Chemistry. Does this mean most music/arty people will be there?

Hi CallieCat,

About your question: well, not necessary but you will definitely find people studying music/art living there too. I have applied for New Vanbrugh and I'm going to study Biotechnology. Generally I can say that people studying various subjects will live in all colleges, some will choose because of their department but I think most people will choose what fits them most (such as, catered or en-suite option or the college spirit) so whichever college appeals to you most, choose it :wink:

As far as I know, there are some departments in Hest Est and people more or less tend to live there too because of the distance from the main campus (it's about 10-15 min walking and there are buses) but I know lots of students living in Hest West even though they have their lectures in Hest Est. And yes, you will probably end up having lectures all over the campus :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

I lived in Vanbrugh and we had everything from theoretical physics to music. I genuinely don't think we had a surplus of any one subject.
Reply 6
Original post by MPN
Hi CallieCat,

About your question: well, not necessary but you will definitely find people studying music/art living there too. I have applied for New Vanbrugh and I'm going to study Biotechnology. Generally I can say that people studying various subjects will live in all colleges, some will choose because of their department but I think most people will choose what fits them most (such as, catered or en-suite option or the college spirit) so whichever college appeals to you most, choose it :wink:

As far as I know, there are some departments in Hest Est and people more or less tend to live there too because of the distance from the main campus (it's about 10-15 min walking and there are buses) but I know lots of students living in Hest West even though they have their lectures in Hest Est. And yes, you will probably end up having lectures all over the campus :smile:

Oh good, the ones closest to Chemistry are Derwent, which sounds bit too partyish for my liking, and Alcuin which is bloody expensive. Vanbrugh it is. Just need to wait for results now...
Reply 7
Oh good, the ones closest to Chemistry are Derwent, which sounds bit too partyish for my liking, and Alcuin which is bloody expensive. Vanbrugh it is. Just need to wait for results now...

Vanbrugh seems to be the best choice - like it combines the best of Derwent and Alcuin in your case. Hope to see you there.

Quick Reply