The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrCarmady
same, except i facebook messaged all my three sons. damn gender imbalance :angry:

Three sons!? Wow.

I don't use facebook so my stalking abilities are a bit more limited and I know nothing about my son except his name :tongue:.
Reply 8821
Original post by LtCommanderData
I just emailed my college son for the first time. Exciting! I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the freshers' experience from 'the other side' without having to worry about it all :tongue:.

I wrote lovely letters to my two kids last week, it was so much fun. :h: Freshers' week should be awesome, even if the first thing I'm doing in it is attending a workshop on sexual consent (in my regard as LGBTQ rep, I should add). :p:
Original post by dbmag9
I wrote lovely letters to my two kids last week, it was so much fun. :h: Freshers' week should be awesome, even if the first thing I'm doing in it is attending a workshop on sexual consent (in my regard as LGBTQ rep, I should add). :p:
A "workshop"? :tongue:
Am I allowed to join this thread to detail my procrastination given I'm coming up next month? :ninja:
Reply 8824
Original post by fluteflute
A "workshop"? :tongue:

A workshop, it's run by OUSU and everything. I don't mean to suggest I won't be hitting on freshers the whole week, but the workshop is just a workshop. :p:

Original post by KingMessi
Am I allowed to join this thread to detail my procrastination given I'm coming up next month? :ninja:

No, there is nothing you can be procrastinating from since you should not be doing any work at the moment.
Original post by dbmag9
A workshop, it's run by OUSU and everything. I don't mean to suggest I won't be hitting on freshers the whole week, but the workshop is just a workshop. :p:

No, there is nothing you can be procrastinating from since you should not be doing any work at the moment.

My reading list begs to differ... :erm: :tongue:
Reply 8826
My reading list begs to differ... :erm: :tongue:

Saturday of 0th week is for the small portion of that list that it would be helpful to have read before term. Go out and enjoy September. :hmmm:
Original post by dbmag9
Saturday of 0th week is for the small portion of that list that it would be helpful to have read before term. Go out and enjoy September. :hmmm:

Hmm. I'll stay away from here for the rest of the month, then. :getmecoat:

May I ask which subject you're reading/you read before I take my leave? :tongue:
Reply 8828
Hmm. I'll stay away from here for the rest of the month, then. :getmecoat:

May I ask which subject you're reading/you read before I take my leave? :tongue:

I do Maths & Philosophy, going into second year now.
Is this another way to take a massive dump on the work that people who go to Oxford do? I had a teacher who went to Oxford and she immediately started talking about how she went to the pub all the time, rather than the Uni itself of the work she did. Why?? Is it to hide the work you do?? Make you look 'normal'?? Make you look like you do 'normal' things??
Reply 8830
Original post by RastaMannn
Is this another way to take a massive dump on the work that people who go to Oxford do? I had a teacher who went to Oxford and she immediately started talking about how she went to the pub all the time, rather than the Uni itself of the work she did. Why?? Is it to hide the work you do?? Make you look 'normal'?? Make you look like you do 'normal' things??

It's a way of trying to convey to freshers that a month of fun before the course starts is more valuble than a month of panicking about what the workload will be like. Come visit, we do actually spend a lot of time in the pub, and that tends to be more interesting to talk about than time spent in the library anyway. Everyone who does anything highlights the social fun parts of it when they talk to others; if you think we're lying about them I'm sorry about that.
Original post by dbmag9
I do Maths & Philosophy, going into second year now.

Okay, that sounds extremely challenging. Well, I'll be back here in a month or so then. :getmecoat: :tongue:
Reply 8832
Okay, that sounds extremely challenging. Well, I'll be back here in a month or so then. :getmecoat: :tongue:

It's a nice course, though I'll need to work hard this year. Go and drink lots of gin and enjoy what sunshine there is. And don't actually avoid this thread if you really want to be here, though questions might be better suited to the 'what would you want to know about Oxford' thread.
Reply 8833
I thought it was illegal for oxford people to procrastinate?
Original post by dbmag9
A workshop on sexual consent does seem to imply that you'll be getting consent though :tongue:
Reply 8835
Original post by fluteflute
A workshop on sexual consent does seem to imply that you'll be getting consent though :tongue:

I don't think it's tips on how to get some, amusing though that would be. :awesome:

Because we are normal people, who do normal things. Sorry if that's hard to believe but it's true :tongue: Sure, we have a lot of work but that's not the be all and end all of Oxford life, nor should it ever be. Getting in doesn't mean you lose your license to chill out and have fun!

Original post by dbmag9
It's a way of trying to convey to freshers that a month of fun before the course starts is more valuble than a month of panicking about what the workload will be like. Come visit, we do actually spend a lot of time in the pub, and that tends to be more interesting to talk about than time spent in the library anyway. Everyone who does anything highlights the social fun parts of it when they talk to others; if you think we're lying about them I'm sorry about that.

PRSOM :tongue:
Original post by dbmag9
I don't think it's tips on how to get some, amusing though that would be. :awesome:

Thing is I've definitely had such discussions with tutors here. :s-smilie: One of course being the validity of Ovid's advice in his...well book on how to get laid. Would take a brave man to try that at the Wahoo.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Because we are normal people, who do normal things. Sorry if that's hard to believe but it's true :tongue: Sure, we have a lot of work but that's not the be all and end all of Oxford life, nor should it ever be. Getting in doesn't mean you lose your license to chill out and have fun!

I am more or less referring to the pub being the first thing my teacher spoke about... why?? Is it to make you less of a stereotypical posh toff for going to Oxford??
I am more or less referring to the pub being the first thing my teacher spoke about... why?? Is it to make you less of a stereotypical posh toff for going to Oxford??

No I think it's because a lot of people often go to the pub??

I don't see how it would detract from the stereotype of posh toffs - posh toffs go to the pub too...

Latest

Trending

Trending