The Student Room Group

GCSE English Writing exam help?

Basically, I've got my English Language writing Exam Mock very soon for GCSE and to be honest I'm not all that worried. We know in exam we get 2 writing tasks, one should be done in 25 mins and the other in 35 mins. The exam questions will either be on to persuade, advise, argue, inform etc.

I just wanted to know roughly how much should i write in each of those time slots? I know its quality over quantity but roughly how many paragraphs should I do for the best results? Whats a good number?

It's always impossible to say, there is no given length - you should probably be writing at least a couple of sides? But there is no set formula for writing questions in English (at least in AQA which I am doing, and from the sound of your exam you are too). Basically, you should write as much as you can in the given time without just waffling, still make sure what you write is well written. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mitchellshazia
It's always impossible to say, there is no given length - you should probably be writing at least a couple of sides? But there is no set formula for writing questions in English (at least in AQA which I am doing, and from the sound of your exam you are too). Basically, you should write as much as you can in the given time without just waffling, still make sure what you write is well written. :smile:

With me, i have got to plan how much i have to write within the time given before i start. So if i knew how many paragraphs i should do for the 16 mark 25min question it would really help
Reply 3
Good looks like I am not the only one doing this so we can help each other revise. (If you have any resources notify me please).
Anyway for the 16 marker you should write 1 page to 1 & three quarters of a page. And for the 24 marker 2 -3 pages
Original post by Kaiden
With me, i have got to plan how much i have to write within the time given before i start. So if i knew how many paragraphs i should do for the 16 mark 25min question it would really help

You're going to struggle to find someone who can help you quite so specifically, I think, because it really will vary from person to person quite dramatically.

Quick Reply