The Student Room Group

MSc Physiotherapy (pre-reg) Jan 2014 start

Hi all,

Thought I would start the 2014 MSc (pre-reg) Physiotherapy thread.

Has anyone completed the application for Birmingham??

Do you have any idea what the "Résumé of physiotherapy experience including a personal statement" is in the entry requirements section of the course details?....i.e layout....is it 2 different documents. You have to upload your C.V. as well?!
:confused:

Jamie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just looking at the application for Birmingham at the mo. I can't believe how much info it requires for the application!

I think it's talking about the evidence of your physio experience, signed clinical letters etc. Personal statement is just the standard document supporting your application.

Have you looked at any other Uni's?

From what i can see the other courses haven't got any info up for 2014 starts?

Elly
Reply 2
Hi Elly,

Yes they require a lot of information, some of it confusing :confused:....is this your first time applying?

If you don't mind me asking, what's your undergrad degree in?

I have looked at Manchester also but like you say nothing is up for 2014 starts. I think Birmingham is one of the earliest application deadlines.

Jamie.
Reply 3
I applied to Southampton for the 2013 start, at that time it was the only one I found open. Didn't get any further because I didn't have enough experience in the industry (as I expected!)

I graduated this year from Bath uni BSc hons sports performance.
What is your degree in?

I'm looking at applying to Birmingham, Southampton, Brighton and Manchester.

Elly

Original post by J Bodden
Hi Elly,

Yes they require a lot of information, some of it confusing :confused:....is this your first time applying?

If you don't mind me asking, what's your undergrad degree in?

I have looked at Manchester also but like you say nothing is up for 2014 starts. I think Birmingham is one of the earliest application deadlines.

Jamie.
Reply 4
Hi Guys,
I am also applying for Birmingham to start Jan 2014.
Its possibly the most confusing application I've ever seen, and seems to be repetitive. Does anyone understand why you have to provide details or relevant work xp, a personal statement and references in the online application, but then also send them evidence or physio experience, a resume (including personal statement), a CV, and a summary of research training as well?

Tom
Reply 5
Original post by elly222
I applied to Southampton for the 2013 start, at that time it was the only one I found open. Didn't get any further because I didn't have enough experience in the industry (as I expected!)

I graduated this year from Bath uni BSc hons sports performance.
What is your degree in?

I'm looking at applying to Birmingham, Southampton, Brighton and Manchester.

Elly

I also applied for 2013 start at Manchester and Birmingham; similar to you I did not have enough 'clinical' physiotherapy experience. I graduated this year with a BSc (hons) Sports Therapy.

I am just applying to Birmingham and Manchester because I can commute to both of them.

Just got to get this confusing Birmingham application finished lol

Jamie
Reply 6
Original post by tnaraine
Hi Guys,
I am also applying for Birmingham to start Jan 2014.
Its possibly the most confusing application I've ever seen, and seems to be repetitive. Does anyone understand why you have to provide details or relevant work xp, a personal statement and references in the online application, but then also send them evidence or physio experience, a resume (including personal statement), a CV, and a summary of research training as well?

Tom

Hi Tom,
I know what you mean, its not the most user friendly application and the guidlines don't help that much!

I think what they require is a resume of your physiotherapy experience and personal statement as one document (it states 3 A4 pages max). Then from what I can make of the guidlines, the other documents are separate.
But others may interpret the guidlines differently?!
Jamie.
Reply 7
Hi, I am also going to apply for 2014 pre-registartion Physiotherapy. I am a current undergraduate student studying Biomedical Science. My application will include 2 days work experience of Physiotherapy, one day in a private practice and the other for the NHS. I will also have carried out a weeks work experience in an old peoples home as well as writing my dissertation in relation to Physiotherapy.

Going to apply to Northumbria, York, Leeds and Southampton.

Do you think my application will be strong enough?

Thanks Alex
Reply 8
Hi Alex,
In my opinion, with your undergrad degree and work ex, I think you have a strong application. Any experience in the NHS looks great and they will like the care home ex as well.
Good luck,
Jamie.
Reply 9
Hi guys,
I'm really really hoping to get into Manchester or Leeds in 2014 but honestly I'm going to apply to everywhere I can just incase...

I've graduated with BSc (hons) Sport and Exercise Science (2:1) which meets the requirements but I'm not sure my work experience/shadowing will be good enough! I'm really struggling to find actual physiotherapy experience... Not many hospitals willing to help you out in Mid Wales it seems, but I am working as a care assistant in a nursing home right now. Has anyone managed to get an interview with little physio experience?

I haven't submitted any applications yet, I'm not sure whether I should just go for it with what I have or wait till closer to the deadline and hope I've found some experience by then. Any advice?

Sasha x
Reply 10
Hi,

So far i've applied to Kings college, st georges and essex (sept 2013) and leeds met, uea, northumbria and teesside! quite a few im just trying to up my chances! Have anyone heard back from any of these yet??

Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by AMC5
Hi,

So far i've applied to Kings college, st georges and essex (sept 2013) and leeds met, uea, northumbria and teesside! quite a few im just trying to up my chances! Have anyone heard back from any of these yet??

Thanks!

How have you managed to apply for 7?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
just through spending alot of time filling in applications!! Lol
Reply 13
I thought the max was 5 though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by AMC5
Hi,

Thanks!

Heard from UEA today, have an interview but it isn't until June. Northumbria said not to expect to hear anything until April at the earliest. Leeds don't offer interviews until after they've closed applications at the end of may. Essex process their applications in batches. I know they have interview dates coming up. I was told they're processing my application with the next batch within the next couple of weeks, so am hoping to hear soon. Don't know about kings and st georges though, I haven't applied there. Hope this helps.
Reply 15
Hi,

I have just recieved an email from Birmingham and i've got an interview in a few weeks time. Has anyone had one before? Any tips or ideas of questions?

Thanks,

Elly
Reply 16
Hi Elly,

Well done.

I've got an interview at Birmingham as well...my interview is on the 16th April

Jamie
Reply 17
Well done! I will be seeing you on the 16th :smile:

have you applied to Manchester yet?

Elly
(edited 11 years ago)
I also have an interview at Birmingham on 15th April and have been offered a place to study at Kings but am seriously debating where to go as the cost of living in London is redic! I applied last year but was unsuccessful and have literally had interviews everywhere haha and they are all very similar however I would say the better quality the institution the more academic the interviews are. Matt
Reply 19
I studied at King's MSc Physio.

Awesome uni! I recommend this over ANY other uni for MSc physio! Opportunities are top notch & much better than any of my peers received who went to Birmingham/Essex!

Its long term, living in London is not as expensive as you think either... I had the same concerns but accom. turned out to be much cheaper because there is so many student accoms. the market is flooded... All the placements I was able to get public transport too... so I didn't need a vehicle whereas other uni's, you generally do as they are all spread out! The lifestyle is better too! You don't get the same opportunities out of London so go for it!

Quick Reply