The Student Room Group

Arsey's S1 Edexcel Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Decent paper, every question had been asked before, nothing sneaky or too hard at all.

1. Correlation and regression - pretty easy but took a long time. Part e) will be poorly answered.

2. Box plots - very easy

3. Probability - pretty easy

4. Mean, sd, median, coding - all pretty simple

5. drv - I thought this was easy but I can see it causing problems

6. Normal distribution - standard.

Quite a bit easier than Jan, but S1 boundaries are generally low as a higher prortion of weaker candidates take S1. The highest summer boundary in the last 10 years was 61.

I am going for 62 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

I have also added the other time zone paper. I thought it was a LOT harder than the UK one.

Edit - what is with the negative thing, I don't have to upload these solutions
:confused:

15000 views (currently) 19 thumb ups :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yesss good luck to all that did this paper!
Reply 2
Good luck to all going through it :smile: going to check my answers now..

Edit: Judging from this, got between 68-70 marks, dependent on method marks. Pretty happy with that, almost the same as my C1 mark (just a bit lower) :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Is it me or should the outlier be on 14?
I may be misunderstanding but on the boxplot it looks like you put 24 for an outlier rather than 14
confused ! - for the box plot you say 14 is an outlier which i agree with , bit youve drawn the outlier above 20 ?
Reply 6
WOW yes 14 is an outlier and I though he said that 58.1 would be an A ?????
Arsey=Legend
Thanks again Arsey!
Reply 9
Original post by Arsey
Decent paper, every question had been asked before, nothing sneaky or too hard at all.

1. Correlation and regression - pretty easy but took a long time. Part e) will be poorly answered.

2. Box plots - very easy

Quite a bit easier than Jan, but S1 boundaries are generally low as a higher prortion of weaker candidates take S1. The highest summer boundary in the last 10 years was 61.

a few initial questions

regression part a) forgot to give to 3sf and gave as exact, drop 1 mark?

probability part d) venn diagram if I left the middle of the bus as blank rather than 0, lose any marks?

regression part c) If I said data is close together so a regression line would be suitable is this correct?

Normal dist part c) If I drew a diagram of the initial probability how many marks, I couldn't figure out how to progress because my mind wasn't straight
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Arsey

2. Box plots - very easy

For 4e isn't data negatively skewed since Q3 - Q2 < Q2 - Q1?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Damn! Completely missed the giving answer to 3sf but got values right, how many marks would I lose? In question 1
Thanks Arsey :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
and for part B of normal dist it wanted percentage, so 2.74% but brilliant thank you!
Reply 14
61 - 62 I would say I got , hopefully an A !!
Reply 15
Oh my god.

I think I only dropped 1 mark.

I....oh my god....I....I....I....in stats...*dies*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
would i get ecf marks if i get the regression equation wrong but everything else right??? please answer
Thank you so much! I stayed up for this. I literally stayed up for this. My life is pretty depressing.
Reply 18
Original post by Arsey

2. Box plots - very easy

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

for the venn diagram question i put three circles, the first being full time, second being bus and third being contract. Therefore the area that full time and contract doesnt intersect bus, its part-time that gets the bus, and the bit outside the circles is part-time which doesnt get the bus.
Surely this is more right than having a centre circle of 0?
(edited 10 years ago)
For the last question, I remember getting an answer of 4.85 for the s.d because i foolishly converted 98% into it's value from the table and saying that it was equal to P(W<210) - P(W<200), do you (anyone who reads this) believe i could get a couple of method marks from this?

Latest

Trending

Trending