The Student Room Group

GHDs dead or just fuse broken?

Hey guys,
Sorry for a bit of a boring, and also slightly dumb post, but I'm hoping one of you may be able to help me. My GHD hair straighteners (with no warranty, insurance etc, so that's not an option) suddenly stopped working. I plugged them in one day, switched them on, then no red light or heat. I treated them very well, no bumps or knocks prior to them breaking, and no visible damage. So my question is, do any of you guys think it could be the fuse in the plug? I don't have the first clue about plugs and fuses :o: so I was wondering what you guys recommend I do? Should I swap it for a fuse from another appliance that I don't use? Or is it not a fuse thing at all? Thanks so much for reading :smile:
Reply 1
I dunno about the fuse thing, but I do know our GHDs broke with no warranty, and we sent them back to the company with a complaint letter (probably quite unreasonably, but it had happened once before) and they sent us back a brand new pair.
My aunty did the same when hers broke and they sent her a pair too ;O
They are super-defensive of their brand, so if I were you (if they are actually broken) I'd give it a try!
Reply 2
:ditto: Know someone who did the same
You got off lightly! Mine started making a crackling sound one day and randomly started sparking. A pretty orange flame made an appearance, too. It's a common occurrence with GHDs, so if you had a warranty, they'd replace it without any questions.

Since you don't have a warranty, though - errr, I'm stumped. Sorry.
In the plug itself there should be a screw, undo it and a cylindrical shaped fuse will say either 3,5,7, or 13A on it. Replace it with another of the same rating and see if it works. If it does then the fuse was your problem. Make sure you replace like with like in terms of the fuse rating, too low a fuse and it will blow again, too high and next time it might b your GHD's that blow and not the fuse! Good luck
Why don't you just replace the fuse and see if it works? If not, then you need to worry. It's not exactly hard to change a fuse?
foundintransmission
Why don't you just replace the fuse and see if it works? If not, then you need to worry. It's not exactly hard to change a fuse?

It's hard to do something if you don't know how to...
The Hitchhiker

I didn't know how to when I did it with my hair straighteners, but I knew what a fuse is and how it works from gcse physics =P So I just got a screwdriver and opened up the plug. Pretty self explanatory from there?
foundintransmission
I didn't know how to when I did it with my hair straighteners, but I knew what a fuse is and how it works from gcse physics =P So I just got a screwdriver and opened up the plug. Pretty self explanatory from there?

See above^^

And anyway, there will be some seemingly easy things you can do that I or the OP might not be able to and vise versa. No need to be so superior about these things if you happen to know, just share the know how and smile:smile:
The Hitchhiker
See above^^

And anyway, there will be some seemingly easy things you can do that I or the OP might not be able to and vise versa. No need to be so superior about these things if you happen to know, just share the know how and smile:smile:

I wasn't trying to be superior at all! :o: It's just a fuse, I thought it was pretty common knowledge? Especially for students who aren't living at home?
Share the know how? A poster above has already said, but get a screwdriver, open up the plug, look what number is on the fuse, get another fuse from another appliance [that you know definitely works] by the same way that has the same number [it has to be the same otherwise your hair straighteners might not work or you might break them], put the fuse in your hair straighteners plug, see if it works, if not, then you know they've had it, and to beg the company for some new ones. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Check the fuse. If it isnt the fuse send them to GHD with a letter explaining what has happened and asking for them to be fixed. I did this and they fixed them for me for free even though it was 2 years after the guarentee!
The Hitchhiker
In the plug itself there should be a screw, undo it and a cylindrical shaped fuse will say either 3,5,7, or 13A on it. Replace it with another of the same rating and see if it works. If it does then the fuse was your problem. Make sure you replace like with like in terms of the fuse rating, too low a fuse and it will blow again, too high and next time it might b your GHD's that blow and not the fuse! Good luck

Thanks ever so much to everyone, but especially you, The Hitchhiker, I'm going to attempt it so fingers crossed! And thanks for being cool about it, and not patronising. Rep for being cool :smile:
tetrahydrocannabinol.
Thanks ever so much to everyone, but especially you, The Hitchhiker, I'm going to attempt it so fingers crossed! And thanks for being cool about it, and not patronising. Rep for being cool :smile:

No worries. Glad I could help. I'm sure you could probably teach me a thing or two about how to roll a good J. My skills are awful:p:
The Hitchhiker
No worries. Glad I could help. I'm sure you could probably teach me a thing or two about how to roll a good J. My skills are awful:p:

Hehe, it's like you're psychic! :biggrin: Although to be fair, I like to think I can teach everyone how to roll a good J, I'm always smoking these loose-roached bent ones my mate rolls thinking "I'm going to offer to roll the next one!" :p:
Hi my ghds stopped working and I know what fuse is but I can't get it out of the plug as everything seems fixed in placed , I only want to know how to get the fuse out ? Any help would be appreciated denise x
Reply 15
How did you do this?Did you call or just send it in with a complaint letter?my straightener was working yesterday and now all of a sudden it has stopped working, no idea why!!! always took care of it
Reply 16
Original post by Brouhaha
I dunno about the fuse thing, but I do know our GHDs broke with no warranty, and we sent them back to the company with a complaint letter (probably quite unreasonably, but it had happened once before) and they sent us back a brand new pair.
My aunty did the same when hers broke and they sent her a pair too ;O
They are super-defensive of their brand, so if I were you (if they are actually broken) I'd give it a try!

Hey
Mine just stopped working out of no where. My warranty finished last year. May I ask how you did this? Did you call in or just post it to them?
Does n e one plz have address to the ghd as mine av done the assackley same thing xxxxxxxx
Original post by The Hitchhiker

Google it. YouTube will explain with a vid:smile: leccy is dangerous... Leave it to some one who's sure :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending