The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

I know it's a bit early to start a thread but I know i'm definitely applying there this year.
Went to the 2010 open day and loved it.
So who else is thinking of applying there this year?

also a bit of an FAQ about their applications system.

Leeds applications scoring system

Good luck guys.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by joemullally
I know it's a bit early to start a thread but I know i'm definitely applying there this year.
Went to the 2010 open day and loved it.
So who else is thinking of applying there this year?

also a bit of an FAQ about their applications system.

Leeds applications scoring system

I liked it too so I'm applying this year
Reply 2
I'm thinking of applying, but not 100% sure yet. :smile:
Wow you guys are keen...

Anyway you lot should know me by now but if not I'm one of the medicine mods so I'll be here to keep you guys in check and try to answer questions. However I'm not too knowledgeable about Leeds atm so you'll know as much as me probably :yep:

Any new Leeds 2012 applicants threads will be merged with this one and this can be the main one :h:
I'd like to reassure people who don't think they're good enough for Leeds, that I, a total disaster and mediocre student currently have it as my firm, so seriously don't let anything, anyone says stop you from giving it a shot if you want to go there.
If I can get an offer, probably by sheer mix up/miracle then so can anyone.
Reply 5
Original post by aeneas745
I liked it too so I'm applying this year

what did you like about it best man?

Original post by *Funky-buddha*
I'd like to reassure people who don't think they're good enough for Leeds, that I, a total disaster and mediocre student currently have it as my firm, so seriously don't let anything, anyone says stop you from giving it a shot if you want to go there.
If I can get an offer, probably by sheer mix up/miracle then so can anyone.

Nice man congrats on your offer.
They rejected me this year but hopefully i'll have more luck as a re-applicant.

Edit: Btw, what are your extra curriculars / academics like so people know what kind of profile can get an offer? It's not on your profile.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Any questions, feel free to ask :h:
what did you like about it best man?

Nice man congrats on your offer.
They rejected me this year but hopefully i'll have more luck as a re-applicant.

Edit: Btw, what are your extra curriculars / academics like so people know what kind of profile can get an offer? It's not on your profile.

I had say a year of working Sunday at an old people's home ( I didn't even realise it was that long, it was only meant to be a week and somehow I just kept going back :tongue:)

I was on a charity board for young people, a week with a podiatrist, a residential with a course on CPR and general stuff like drama club and MUN etc.

So in comparison to some, not very much.

My GCSE grades were like 2 A*'s, 3A's, lots of B's, one C and a D in DT ¬_¬

My AS grades were pretty crap cause I didn't revise which pissed of many of my teachers for 'wasting talent' :rolleyes: and got ABBBB

My UKCAT was crap I think like 590 or maybe less, I forget

My A2 predicted are AAA ...I won't get that but I applied for A2L :tongue:

I think the only saving grace I have are my writing skills so my PS for A2L had that whole emotion evoking thing going on and they liked me at interview. ( I made old women voices during it:colondollar: ) soo yeah....moral. Anyone has a chance :tongue:
Reply 8
i am definately, went to the 2011 open day on 25th june and loved it, it is currently on a par with newcastle for my number one choice :smile:
My GCSE's are pretty similar to yours
My UKCAT is on saturday

Can i read your P/s from last year. I'm working on mine atm and sometimes i read it and i think it's a little impersonal for a personal statement.

I don't have a copy on me, sorry.
I haven't logged onto UCAS for months so I'll check if it's still saved there after my highly annoying essay :smile:
Reply 10
I don't have a copy on me, sorry.
I haven't logged onto UCAS for months so I'll check if it's still saved there after my highly annoying essay :smile:

You should do if you have an offer because your application is still "live"
You should do if you have an offer because your application is still "live"

Yurp you would be right. I only ever used track after so completely forgot about the apply button. As soon as my forgot password reminder comes through I shall paste you it :colondollar:

Edit : Well that was quick, it'll have been pasted to you.

I really need to be more organized.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Yurp you would be right. I only ever used track after so completely forgot about the apply button. As soon as my forgot password reminder comes through I shall paste you it :colondollar:

Edit : Well that was quick, it'll have been pasted to you.

I really need to be more organized.

You're a legend. Thanks.
*casually enters thread and looks around

Yeah, applying to Leeds is certainly a possibility.
Reply 14
I'm wanting to apply to Leeds, too. Though, I heard they have a weird scoring system on your academics. Does anyone know how they do it? Also, do they place a lot emphasis on UKCAT scores?
Reply 15
Original post by Panda89
I'm wanting to apply to Leeds, too. Though, I heard they have a weird scoring system on your academics. Does anyone know how they do it? Also, do they place a lot emphasis on UKCAT scores?

They don't place too much emphasis on the UKCAT, if you get 700+ you get a bonus point but that's all. (Candidates with the highest total points get the interviews.)
Reply 16
Original post by Panda89

The way they score your academics is a bit of a mystery.
the theory I've got at the minute is that it might be subject specific. e.g. certain points for science gcse's, x points for english, maths etc etc.

However as a first time applicant the maximum you can get in that section is 14/16 as you have no achieved grades.

And UKCAT is a bonus point for a 700+ average.
Reply 17
The way they score your academics is a bit of a mystery.
the theory I've got at the minute is that it might be subject specific. e.g. certain points for science gcse's, x points for english, maths etc etc.

However as a first time applicant the maximum you can get in that section is 14/16 as you have no achieved grades.

And UKCAT is a bonus point for a 700+ average.

Thanks. Does this mean that gap year and graduate applicants will have an advantage because they already have the grades?
Reply 18
Original post by Panda89
Thanks. Does this mean that gap year and graduate applicants will have an advantage because they already have the grades?

up to +2 for achieved grades.
I don't know how they score grads.
up to +2 for achieved grades.
I don't know how they score grads.

Wow, really? Because I am a gap year applicant, so its nice to hear I have a chance because my GCSEs were awful. I hope they don't score gap year applicants with GCSEs.

Quick Reply