The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ruixue
hey ! soooo about the personal statement, ive read it can only be 4000 characters? is this true ? cause mine's a little longer (say around 5000 characters with spaces......)will that be a problem ? or is it different for postgraduate ?

Hi ruixue,

I've just checked the online prospectus for MSc China and Globalisation and in the 'Applying, fees and funding' section it advise that a 'one page personal statement' should be submitted to support your application: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/graduate/index/name/china-and-globalisation/alpha/C/header_search/

It doesn't mention anything about characters, but if you are concerned it might be a good idea to check with the admissions team for the programme if you need further info: [email protected] or 020 7848 7210 / 020 7848 2574.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Fran
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by LVN93
Are people doing healthcare courses more likely to get their top choices for accommodation? I'm just wondering because I've been told this is the case for some universities :smile:

Hi LVN93

I'm afraid this is definitely not the case at King's. All accommodation is allocated by a random computerised ballot and doesn't take into account which academic programme the applicant is studying. So just make sure you get your application in before the deadline of 30 June and cross your fingers that you get your preferred choices!

Good luck! :smile:

Fran
Reply 502
Hello,

I had a computer science webinar invitation which was in the morning. Unfortunately, I missed the webinar. I assume time slots were given to prospective students, as mine was 30 minutes long. I tried to view the recorded webinar through gotomeeting but I was unable to do so (all that I heard was mouse clicks). Would you happen to know when the recorded webinar will be available?
Original post by Potsui
Hi Kings,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

I have an Unconditional LLB offer for the now 'Dickson Poon School Of Law'. The new investment coupled with The Somerset House move is going to be amazing I'm sure. Super excited now!

'Up to 75 students a year will benefit from an Ivy League-style scholarship programme, of which 15 places will be reserved for students currently resident in Hong Kong and mainland China.' Just wondering if these scholarships will be for graduate or undergad degrees?

http://tinyurl.com/7m7lwwp

Hi Potsui,

Yes, it is really exciting news and will give lots of great opportunities to those studying Law at King's.

In response to your question we are in the process of finalising details around the scholarship programme and more information will become available on our Funding and Scholarships web pages in the near future. So keep checking back for more details!

Thanks!

Fran :smile:
Reply 504
Original post by King’s College London
Hi Potsui,

Yes, it is really exciting news and will give lots of great opportunities to those studying Law at King's.

In response to your question we are in the process of finalising details around the scholarship programme and more information will become available on our Funding and Scholarships web pages in the near future. So keep checking back for more details!

Thanks!

Thanks Fran, hopefully the investment will benefit Undergrads also . . . life in London is of course exorbitantly expensive, for some prohibitively and as such is the defining factor for a lot of people when deciding to take up an offer or not at Kings so any opportunity to even apply for a scholarship would be welcome, especially for EU students who are ineligible for maintenance grants. I have dual British citizenship and will probably want to stay on in the UK after my studies.

I have pretty good academics so here's hoping . . . :crossedf:
Original post by Erratic
Hello,

I had a computer science webinar invitation which was in the morning. Unfortunately, I missed the webinar. I assume time slots were given to prospective students, as mine was 30 minutes long. I tried to view the recorded webinar through gotomeeting but I was unable to do so (all that I heard was mouse clicks). Would you happen to know when the recorded webinar will be available?

Hi Erratic,

Just sent a PM with some details that should help! :smile:

Fran
Reply 506
Hello,

I was wondering, how competitive/popular is the chemistry with biomedicine course? Even though it is a new course, do you have a rough applicants : places ratio?

Many thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
hello,

i have got an unconditional offer from KCL back in feb, but i am a just a bit curious on the selection procedure. for medicine 5 year course, how many locals and internationals do you interview and how many offers do you give out respectively? what is the applicants : offer (or interview) ratio? What will you do if the number of people fulfilling their offers is more than the places available?

thanks.
Original post by Kaas
Hello,

I was wondering, how competitive/popular is the chemistry with biomedicine course? Even though it is a new course, do you have a rough applicants : places ratio?

Many thanks.

Hi Kaas

Thanks for your question!

Well Chemistry with Biomedicine has been developed by King's in consultation with the Royal Society of Chemistry so is a prestigious and so far is proving to be a popular programme for enquiries. As you rightly say, it is a new programme, so I'm afraid that I'm not really able to give you application figures as we haven't got that finalised number yet. However, the course intake for 2012 is likely to be around 30 places, but again, this figure is not set in stone.

Sorry I can't be more concrete with the details at the moment; for the next application cycle (for entry in 2013) we'll be able to give more detailed information.

Original post by dragon_knight
hello,

i have got an unconditional offer from KCL back in feb, but i am a just a bit curious on the selection procedure. for medicine 5 year course, how many locals and internationals do you interview and how many offers do you give out respectively? what is the applicants : offer (or interview) ratio? What will you do if the number of people fulfilling their offers is more than the places available?

thanks.

Hi dragon_knight,

Many congratulations of the unconditional offer! :smile:

Here's a few details to help answer your questions. For our our undergraduate medical programmes there are around 4500 applications for a total of 410 places. Around 1200 1400 applicants are selected for interview. Its hard to give you exact figures on the numbers of UK and international applications as it changes from year to year. There is no quota on the number of EU students on medical programmes but the UK Government restricts the number of international students from outside the EU to approximately 7.5% of our annual intake.

This goes for all of our programmes, not just medicine, but we take great care to calculate the number of offers we make to ensure that we do not oversubscribe our programmes. Obviously some people unfortunately don't make their grades and miss out on their place, but we factor this possibility into the number of offers we make.

I hope this helps and well done on getting the unconditional offer! :smile:

Fran
Reply 510
If I received an offer for a three year programme after I start school can I change it into a 4 year one? One including Masters
Reply 511
If I apply for accommodation and I list only one option what happens if there are no more spaces available?

Will I be able to apply for accommodation somewhere else? e.g the private sector
Reply 512
Original post by AceS4
If I apply for accommodation and I list only one option what happens if there are no more spaces available?

Will I be able to apply for accommodation somewhere else? e.g the private sector

As far as I know, it is up to you how many options you rank. But if you don't get into that one, the system will still consider you for other options - but will treat all the others with the same priority. So I would advise you to rank them, unless you really only want to live at one place and nowhere else. (But even then, you are not more likely to get your first choice if you only rank/list that one.)

If you do not get your preferred accommodation but get another place (which could easily be the case), you can choose whether you want to take up that offer or not. If you don't (or if you don't get a place allocated at all) you will need to look for private accommodation, but the University of London has a dedicated Service to help students find student-friendly and reasonable places (see http://housing.lon.ac.uk/cms/).

Good luck, hope this helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 513
Original post by dragon_knight
hello,

thanks.

I emailed King's in the past as an int'l and they told me around 500 of us applied, 120 selected for interview and about 70 are given offers for the approximately 30 places available for internationals :smile:
Original post by AceS4
If I received an offer for a three year programme after I start school can I change it into a 4 year one? One including Masters

Hi AceS4

In terms of changing programmes after you've started with us, I would advise that you talk to your personal tutor or programme leader as soon as you start the course to discuss your options. Obviously there are no guarantees (e.g. if the programme you wish to move to is already full) but it is always worth asking! Also you could talk to the admissions teams as soon as you receive an offer to discuss with them about changing programmes. You don't mention which programmes you are interested in but contact details for the admissions teams can be found on the online prospectus in the 'further information' section of the programme you are interested in.

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Reply 515
Any idea when/where reading lists will be made available? I've had a search online, but the closest I could find to one was a list of books somebody was selling on TSR.

I'm quite keen to get stuck into some law textbooks over summer :smile:
Hello,

I have applied to King's College and received a conditional offer (36 IB points + 6 in A1 English SL).
As I understand, 6 in Eng. is a standard language entry requirement for my degree.

However, I am interested whether it would be possible to confirm my level of proficiency in English by taking TOELF/IELTS instead? (i.e. does it still mean that I fail to meet the conditions of my offer, if I get for example 36-43 points in IB with 5 in English and100+ in TOEFL?)

(The problem is that TOELF/IELTS test mainly language skills, i.e. grammar, vocabulary etc. In contrast, IB Eng. focuses on literature and one's ability to understand and interpret it, which is much more difficult for me as I am an international student. Therefore, I would prefer to prove that I understand English sometimes by taking a normal grammar text rather than by making up crazy stories about the symbolic significance of the dialogues in "Homecoming" or about the importance of semantic generation in Pinter's plays.)

Thank you for your answers in advance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 517
Original post by King’s College London
Hi LVN93

I'm afraid this is definitely not the case at King's. All accommodation is allocated by a random computerised ballot and doesn't take into account which academic programme the applicant is studying. So just make sure you get your application in before the deadline of 30 June and cross your fingers that you get your preferred choices!

Good luck! :smile:

Fran

Thanks for replying :smile: I'll just have to get my application in soon then!
Reply 518
Original post by gtfo
Any idea when/where reading lists will be made available? I've had a search online, but the closest I could find to one was a list of books somebody was selling on TSR.

I'm quite keen to get stuck into some law textbooks over summer :smile:

ha ha, I felt the same way!

for Law at King's you'll have your reading lists after you arrive; the lecturers choose the most up to date and best course books at the start of the academic year, and tell you in your first lectures which to buy.
then you can either go to Wildy's second hand law bookshop or the second hand law book fair (though watch out, sometimes these books are out-of-date and therefore the law may occasionally be completely incorrect!!!) near the start of the year, or you can buy them on Amazon/online and use the copies in the Library until they arrive, or a regular legal bookshop like Hammicks.

if you're super-mega-keen then by all means read a book on how to study law (i.e. how to write law essays and exam technique). I would've loved to have known how to structure a law essay, or correctly reference cases, before I started... it took me weeks to discover that rounded brackets() and square brackets[] mean different things when citing cases!

so although you almost certainly won't be told what exact books to buy, if you read generally on how to: read statutes and cases/ structure legal essays/ answer legal problem questions/ how to 'moot' ....you might find those things useful. one good 'how to study law at university' book should cover all of that.

but this is your last free time before a year of solid study & research essays etc... try to enjoy it. you'll be busy with work, societies/sports and careers events before you know it. :smile:

I hope that helps, and I hope you have an amazing summer! :smile: x x
Original post by Существо
Hello,

I have applied to King's College and received a conditional offer (36 IB points + 6 in A1 English SL).
As I understand, 6 in Eng. is a standard language entry requirement for my degree.

However, I am interested whether it would be possible to confirm my level of proficiency in English by taking TOELF/IELTS instead? (i.e. does it still mean that I fail to meet the conditions of my offer, if I get for example 36-43 points in IB with 5 in English and100+ in TOEFL?)

(The problem is that TOELF/IELTS test mainly language skills, i.e. grammar, vocabulary etc. In contrast, IB Eng. focuses on literature and one's ability to understand and interpret it, which is much more difficult for me as I am an international student. Therefore, I would prefer to prove that I understand English sometimes by taking a normal grammar text rather than by making up crazy stories about the symbolic significance of the dialogues in "Homecoming" or about the importance of semantic generation in Pinter's plays.)

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Hi there,

Thanks for your message! And congratulations on your conditional offer!:smile:

You don't mention which programme you will be studying, so its a little hard to be exact but please check the entry requirements for your programme on the online prospectus as this should give you some more information about English language entry requirements: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/ It may also be worth contacting the admissions team for the programme and ask what they would advise for your specific situation. They would be happy to give you some advice!

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran

Quick Reply

Latest