The Student Room Group

what gcse subjects did you choose to study for options?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I changed geography to drama.
Don't do Business Studies, it's unbelievably boring!
Reply 22
History
Triple science
French
ICT
Art
RE (1 lesson a week to get the full gcse, otherwise it would just be a half)
Original post by ergo30
What subjects did everyone choose to study during gcse, I'm taking my options now. I'm taking:

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies
and 5 other compulsory subjects.

Are these options okay? What subjects did you choose? Could I study better subjects?

WOW your doing that many?! As in you picked that many in my school you can only pick two options with the rest cumpolsuary so altogether these are my options:
English (Language and Liturature)
Math
Triple Science
PSHRE
History
Fast Track French (One year of Latin)
Drama and Citizenship (My two options)

I'm doing them next year so like starting in September and I think it's all about what you enjoy.
Reply 24
Drama
History
Geography
Business
Reply 25
RE
History
Textiles
Business Studies
French

Kind of wish I'd chosen more academic subjects as Business Studies and Textiles can be seen as a cop out, however Business Studies was ridiculously easy so I got an A* with minimal effort there! However Textiles was a lot of effort!

French and RE were compulsory at my school so no choice there :frown: definitely wouldn't have chosen either of them if it was up to me as they didn't interest me. However I have a feeling that having a bit of French will help me out a lot at some stage :smile:
Reply 26
I would recommend History and Drama I loved them both.

I had a awful Geography Teacher in year 11 who killed my love for the subjected.

Business? well I... my school kinda f-d up that subject which is annoying because the school was Business and Enterprise :| Schools need to go back to their old names and take the stupid subject names out it's all bs.
Reply 27
Original post by ergo30
What is drama like in gcse? is it hard?

depends... mine was really Drama and Theatre Studies.... and it depends on the play's you see and if you have a good memory, but the acting part is ok.
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Wow! I'm doing French now :smile:

Nice! Are you enjoying it? :smile:
Original post by Jennie027
Nice! Are you enjoying it? :smile:

Yes! Definitely! :biggrin:
Geography -
Rivers bit hard, coursework is good -> you have to make sure you don't get too behind though, make sure you always meet deadlines.
Geographical Skills- I find that quiet trickey.
Overall, make sure you always understand the definitions etc, if you don't ask. Then again, that applies with anything.

Ict- Lots of coursework, I enjoy it a lot though. With coursework, don't stress if you are slightly behind because that'll make matters worse. You have enough time to make sure work is done at the best ability. Spend more time in areas which have more marks (Teacher should give you a list of the weight of each bit). Don't focus so much on things which is only 5 marks.
Make sure everything is implemented.
Theory-> it's okay to be honest, not as bad as other subjects, keep doing past papers.

Classics- I enjoy it, lots of essay writing. When you do past papers, always look at examiners report. Always find out how you can improve in essays (even if you get 30/30)
I had to do English, maths, double science, Spanish, either history or geography and 2 further options.
I chose history, which wasn't a hard decision as I despised geography in year 9. It is interesting, and the best option I took.
I took R.S, which is really boring, but really easy so a fairly good decision.
I took triple science, which is good because it isn't that much more work than double science.
So really I've had a good time with my options.
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Yes! Definitely! :biggrin:

Good! It's definitely an interesting subject! :biggrin:
Original post by Jennie027
Good! It's definitely an interesting subject! :biggrin:

I want to take it for a level too! :biggrin:
Reply 34
Media Studies
Business Studies
ICT
Food Technology

Absolutely ADORE Media and Business, not so keen on Food and biggest regret is ICT :frown:
Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Spanish, ICT.

Only choose Geography if you enjoy it. It was the bane of my existence for two horribly long years.
Reply 36
Triple Science
Music
History
French
Religious Studies
Food Technology
Reply 37
Original post by ergo30
What subjects did everyone choose to study during gcse, I'm taking my options now. I'm taking:

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies
and 5 other compulsory subjects.

Are these options okay? What subjects did you choose? Could I study better subjects?

I chose Business, History and ICT.

That's a very solid pick though and I'd stick with that. Wish I had done a language instead of ICT to be honest. If you're prepared to put the work in and the effort you'll get minimum B's at GCSE, just make sure you are interested enough as those 4 options are tougher than others you could pick.
My options for GCSE were:

Eng Literature + Language
Triple Science
History
Geography
Spanish
Engineering

Quick Reply