The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

ChrisBan
Let me introduce you to Canadian Affair :wink: Could potentially save you a few £££ if you want to get over there cheaply and don't really mind about quality of in flight facilities http://www.canadianaffair.com/

Thanks. £540 for a return flight to Toronto... Not a big difference but still.
RabbitCFH
Thanks. £540 for a return flight to Toronto... Not a big difference but still.

Oh really? :frown: What dates were you looking at?
ChrisBan
Oh really? :frown: What dates were you looking at?

Various days in July.
Reply 303
ChrisBan
Let me introduce you to Canadian Affair :wink: Could potentially save you a few £££ if you want to get over there cheaply and don't really mind about quality of in flight facilities http://www.canadianaffair.com/

Words can't describe how much I love that website - £328 for a return from Manchester to Vancouver in June :woo:
Emsybean
Words can't describe how much I love that website - £328 for a return from Manchester to Vancouver in June :woo:

When exactly?
Reply 305
RabbitCFH
When exactly?

Depart on the 5th, return journey's an overnight flight on the 12th/13th - probably why it's so cheap :o:
Reply 306
Canadian Affair is alright, my flight to Canada with Air Transat on Monday was under £190 one way and they arrived over an hour early. Just luggage is strict so don't pack anything over the limit, other wise you'll be paying a hefty £10/kg.
Reply 307
RabbitCFH
Anywhere and just go see some nice stuff. I'd love to go to Montreal and see the Bell Centre but I guess Montreal can be quite expensive, huh? I'd also like a comfy accommodation. :smile: I know flights cost £550-600, which is quite a lot tbh. :s-smilie:

Why the Bell Centre? Don't tell me you're a Habs fan.

Hotel/hostel accommodation in Montreal isn't too bad. Are you coming alone? You can get a decent (but not fancy) hotel room for about $70 a night; hostels cost about $25-$30 per bed. "Better" hotel rooms run about $130 a night. So you're looking at about $1400/under £1000 for hotel accommodation for 3 weeks and the rest pretty much depends on your idea of a good time. Food and alcohol is quite cheap as are most of the touristy things-to-do, at least compared to the rest of Canada.

Approx. £3000-£3500 for a good three week vacation in Montreal including the travel.

And do not leave Montreal without feasting on several poutine's. And Schwartz's smoked meat.
Rinker
Why the Bell Centre? Don't tell me you're a Habs fan.

Hotel/hostel accommodation in Montreal isn't too bad. Are you coming alone? You can get a decent (but not fancy) hotel room for about $70 a night; hostels cost about $25-$30 per bed. "Better" hotel rooms run about $130 a night. So you're looking at about $1400/under £1000 for hotel accommodation for 3 weeks and the rest pretty much depends on your idea of a good time. Food and alcohol is quite cheap as are most of the touristy things-to-do, at least compared to the rest of Canada.

Approx. £3000-£3500 for a good three week vacation in Montreal including the travel.

And do not leave Montreal without feasting on several poutine's. And Schwartz's smoked meat.

Yes, I'm a Habs fan.:hmmm:

£3000-3500?! Holy ******* mother of god!

My Canadian friend once cooked poutine, it was terrible tbh. :p: The applie pie was awesome though.

Thanks man, I guess I'd need to find a job first. :shifty:
Reply 309
RabbitCFH

My Canadian friend once cooked poutine, it was terrible tbh. :p: The applie pie was awesome though.

Gotta love the Habs, seen matches with them against the old Québec Nordiques on YouTube - what a rivalry :biggrin:

Poutine looks pretty disgusting tbh - on paper cheese curds and gravy don't make a terribly good combination. May be proven wrong in the future though...:woo:

Sugar pie, however - :coma: looks like it'd be smashing with some ice-cream or whipped double cream :p:
jangrafess
hey

i thought maybe you should connect with your canadian heritage :h:
generic hybrid
i thought maybe you should connect with your canadian heritage :h:

You're so lovely in linking me to these places.

Actually, I do have something cool to say about Canada, which is especially relevant to TSR. I'm doing an internship for the company that runs TSR atm, and they have servers and developers over in Vancouver. We had a nice long conference call with them all today, discussing the future of the site and certain bugs that are being addressed.
Reply 312
Hi,

I have been in university in canada and will graduate in december 2010. I then plan to go to school in england for pharmacy. I was wondering how long I would need to live in the england to be considered a resident so that I would not have to pay international fees. I dual citizenship for Canada and England.

Thanks!!!!

-Vickie:smile:
Reply 313
da1yuluv
Hi,

I have been in university in canada and will graduate in december 2010. I then plan to go to school in england for pharmacy. I was wondering how long I would need to live in the england to be considered a resident so that I would not have to pay international fees. I dual citizenship for Canada and England.

Thanks!!!!

My frien pays home fees but has never resided in the UK prior to university, she has dual citizenship because both her parents emigrated.

And the University of the Arts London Website has the following listed for the criteria for paying the home fee v. international fee, which conflicts to what my friend is doing, so I suspect there may be ways to get around the listed criteria below.

University of the Arts London

■Persons who have permanent residence in the UK and have been resident in the UK for three years;
■EEA migrant workers and their families in the UK who have lived in the EEA for three years;
■EU nationals and their children who have lived in the EEA for three years;
■Refugees (recognised by the UK government) and their families; and
■Persons who applied for asylum and have been granted exceptional leave to enter/remain, and their families.
da1yuluv
Hi,

Thanks!!!!

I would have thought citizenship alone would set you up as a domestic student, does it not?
Reply 315
RabbitCFH

Haha, I was afraid of that - I'm a diehard Leafs fan. The Habs surprised a lot of people this postseason but thankfully their luck ran out before the finals and PK Subban came back down to earth.

Homecooked poutine rarely tastes the same, you gotta try the legit stuff from downtown Montreal. You can maybe do a trip for under £3000-£3500 but to be honest, you wouldn't be having as good a time, especially if you aren't comfortable living out of a hostel for 3 weeks. If you live in a hostel or get someone to split hotel costs with you, it is possible.
Reply 316
Rinker
Haha, I was afraid of that - I'm a diehard Leafs fan. The Habs surprised a lot of people this postseason but thankfully their luck ran out before the finals and PK Subban came back down to earth.

Homecooked poutine rarely tastes the same, you gotta try the legit stuff from downtown Montreal. You can maybe do a trip for under £3000-£3500 but to be honest, you wouldn't be having as good a time, especially if you aren't comfortable living out of a hostel for 3 weeks. If you live in a hostel or get someone to split hotel costs with you, it is possible.

Had some poutine last night; gosh I forgot how much I missed it!

You completely forgot butter tarts!!! :drool: they are a must!
Reply 317
KirstyK
My frien pays home fees but has never resided in the UK prior to university, she has dual citizenship because both her parents emigrated.

And the University of the Arts London Website has the following listed for the criteria for paying the home fee v. international fee, which conflicts to what my friend is doing, so I suspect there may be ways to get around the listed criteria below.

Great! Thanks so much for the information, I was having such a difficult time finding it. And if you know how your friend got around it, I'd love that info as well! :biggrin:
Reply 318
Pocket Calculator
I would have thought citizenship alone would set you up as a domestic student, does it not?

I read someplace a while ago that it doesnt, but since it was so long ago, I could be wrong. I read that you have to reside in the UK for a minimum 12 months (I think) to pay non-international fees.

I hope citizenship is enough, I will do some calling up soon enough and repost for anyones curiosity or information.
Sure i would love to join this forum, em not canadian national , i have a girl frend in canada , she is a jew and we love eachother like crazy. Canada is a Kool Place. Love to be in Canada!

Quick Reply

Latest